Daycare.com Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-21-2020, 10:52 AM
Unregistered

Default Knowing When to Leave The Industry

For those of you that left the day care industry, how did you know it was time to leave? Iím pretty sure I need to leave but Iím needing some other perspectives from people like you who get the industry and what itís like. I am just feeling tired and run down all the time at work and I donít enjoy it like I used to. Thank you in advance.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:27 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Centers or in-home?
Old 10-22-2020, 07:56 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Centers or in-home?
I work in a center and have for nearly a decade. I felt close to burn out before but this time feels different. We are soo short staffed and can no longer have any days off and one worker leaving itís going to be more intense stresswise. I dread getting up for work and the noise the kids make is getting to me. I wanted to get some perspectives from people who have been there and left the profession.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
For those of you that left the day care industry, how did you know it was time to leave? Iím pretty sure I need to leave but Iím needing some other perspectives from people like you who get the industry and what itís like. I am just feeling tired and run down all the time at work and I donít enjoy it like I used to. Thank you in advance.
Most that have left the industry have also left the board.
No need or desire to continue discussing a topic the wanted away from.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:27 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

Maybe you need a vacation? I got close to burn-out a couple of times. Once I termed a contract with one of my difficult kids and things improved greatly! Another time, I took a vacation and felt much better after.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:00 PM
Childcare Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo123ABC View Post
Maybe you need a vacation? I got close to burn-out a couple of times. Once I termed a contract with one of my difficult kids and things improved greatly! Another time, I took a vacation and felt much better after.
This exactly!
I thought I was done myself, but all I needed was to strengthen my policies, and replace some families
Good luck
Old 10-21-2020, 03:06 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
When I was pregnant for the first time and closing in on my due date, I asked several friends how I'd know when I was in true labor. Their answer was always, "Oh, don't worry; you'll know!" Sure enough... lol

I think leaving the day care industry is kind of like that - you'll know when it's time for you. I've felt close to it many times but like Jo123ABC said, taking time away from the day care helped me to feel better. For me, it'll be time to leave when taking long weekends (I'm closed on Fridays for a reason!) or vacations doesn't help any more. It might be when I stop just browsing job openings online and actually update my resume instead of just thinking about it. During the COVID closure, I gathered my old resumes from my pre-day care days, all of my past job descriptions and evaluations and researched job openings in my area. There were some jobs that interested me but none enough to actually make me do the work of updating my resume and send it in. If I were truly ready to close my day care, I imagine I would have been motivated enough to actually do something about it. Good luck with your decision!
Old 10-21-2020, 05:02 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I have an interview tomorrow- complete career change.

How do I know I want to leave:
1. I dread opening my doors in the morning.
2. I have no desire to do activities beyond what's necessary to get through the day.
3. I fight the urge to tell off parents nearly every day- and I do not care in the least if I hurt feelings or if they pull.

Pretty much... I've 99% checked out.

If I don't get this job, I'll pull in that 1% to soldier on for a bit longer. I'll take extra time off and hold off new enrollments until I figure it out.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:20 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmom View Post

2. I have no desire to do activities beyond what's necessary to get through the day.
3. I fight the urge to tell off parents nearly every day- and I do not care in the least if I hurt feelings or if they pull.

If I don't get this job, I'll pull in that 1% to soldier on for a bit longer. I'll take extra time off and hold off new enrollments until I figure it out.
Please tell us that you are still planning on staying HERE! Like BC said...once they left the business...they left us

OP:

I can't really help you. I'm sorry

But I CAN tell you this. I have been in this business nearly 30 years (I started young). I remember getting burned out many times, only to be told that I wasn't getting burned out...I just needed a vacation. Many times it did work though

That being said, I was at my former center for nearly 20 years of my career. Once I left, I realized that childcare was all that I knew of. I didn't want to go back into another center yet I had no college degree ( I was grandfathered in alot of things). So I became a private nanny.

When my former family was in the process of moving (military so I knew months prior), I was thinking I wanted another change but still in childcare. So I was applying in other centers. I wanted to go back that. I wanted "co workers"...I wanted just set hours. I didn't want to work the occasional weekend. Etc etc etc.

Long story short, I started coming back here and that changed my mind REALLY quick

Seriously- I just remember all that BS I had to endure while at my former center that I didn't want to go through that again. Granted alot had to do with the fact that I was also Assistant Director. But still.

Now I am a nanny to twins (again)...military (again)....boys (AGAIN!) and I love it more and more each day!
Old 11-09-2020, 01:32 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Teacher View Post
Please tell us that you are still planning on staying HERE! Like BC said...once they left the business...they left us
Some of us left the business it's true, but I still pop in from Time to Time lol... My health was my deciding factor in 2018 & even in a new job, I had to quit after only a year due to health. This year has sucked royally for me; my saving grace is I went back to school (online) to get a new degree.

I can no longer walk or stand without assistance so many jobs are now out of bounds for me, so learning a new trade is keeping my spirit alive. I do miss everyone, and just know, even if I'm not posting, I am here reading.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:24 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

Those three things seem like good reasons to leave! What career are you going into now if you don't mind me asking?

I hope that you get the job!
Old 10-21-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:

Sending you good luck wishes and crossing my fingers for you but Iíll miss you terribly if you arent here any more!
Old 10-21-2020, 07:12 PM
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith

I closed a bit over a month ago. In my case it was a mix of things. On one hand it was financial. I could make more money in my shop than in the daycare. Also my own kids were learning at home and I didnít want to play one room schoolhouse in addition to childcare. But really the biggest thing was DW & I were just done. No real ďf thisĒ moment. Just a recognition it was time for a change.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
I closed a bit over a month ago. In my case it was a mix of things. On one hand it was financial. I could make more money in my shop than in the daycare. Also my own kids were learning at home and I didnít want to play one room schoolhouse in addition to childcare. But really the biggest thing was DW & I were just done. No real ďf thisĒ moment. Just a recognition it was time for a change.
Happy to hear you made a good choice!
Also nice to see you checking in and hanging around here still

ďRetiredĒ providers are invaluable as theyíve lived and learned!
Old 10-21-2020, 07:55 PM
Daycare.com Member

Thanks all!

If I get the job, I will likely still check in every once in awhile. It's a county job with rotating shifts (10-12 hours, 4 days/week).
I still plan on keeping my license active for a little while. It's too much of a benefit tax-wise to give up just yet. A couple of my clients are neighbors, so I can do an occasional weekend and possibly an hour or two here/there for after school kids.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:13 PM
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith

Quote:

Good luck on the interview.
Old 10-22-2020, 12:07 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:

Good luck with your interview! Sounds like you've been through the wringer the past few years. Hope you find something you love more and causes you less stress/illness.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:17 AM
Daycare.com Senior Member

I actually have contemplated it many times. Yes vacations, extra time off does help however I still wonder. One of the BIGGEST things holding me back is doing a decent resume and cover letters after doing daycare for 20 years. I just don't know where to begin with all that. Another thing that scares me about leaving is finding a decent paying job

Tags
burnt out, leaving care, quitting daycare, regrets