Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Texting On A Sunday?
Mary Poppins 08:12 AM 03-26-2012
I just read in another thread about this happening (didn't want to hijack the thread) and since it happened to me too last night, I wondered what you all think of dcp's texting on weekends, particularly on a Sunday?

In my case it was dcm whose dd I termed for biting. She often texted me on a Sunday to give me her schedule for the week, which annoyed me to no end. Several times I had to remind her the schedule was due by closing on Friday. Of course she texted me at 5 last night to TELL me she was coming by in 5 minutes to pick up the rest of dcg's stuff (she left in a huff Friday and left behind a few things).

Oh, really now?

I was floored. I don't like bullies and told her no, she was NOT coming by and could call me on Monday and make arrangements during my business hours. She texted back with "&$%^ it, just keep her stuff then".

Anyway, how do you feel about being texted on weekends particularly Sundays regardless of what the context is, etc?
small_steps 08:18 AM 03-26-2012
Well that would have been from my thread lol. And yes...it bothers me as well. It doesn't happen too often but it does happen occasionally. To give them credit...the texting back and forth usually only lasts maybe 5 minutes BUT generally whatever the text was about is on my mind for the next hour or so taking up more of my precious weekend time.
AnneCordelia 08:20 AM 03-26-2012
I tell my DCFs that texting is reserved for when their children are in care or to notify of illness (for example, at 6am on Monday to tell me their child is sick and not coming). If they need to contact me on the weekend then they can e-mail me so that I can get back to them on my own time and not feel pressure or "on the clock".

They are also free to phone and leave a message. One message suffices and I will get back to them when it is convenient for me.

The thing I don't like about texting is that there is an assumption of immediacy and the person texting expects as response ASAP. That is why I prefer e-mail or phone on weekends because it allows me time to get back to them on my own clock.
MrsB 08:21 AM 03-26-2012
I dont have a problem with it to be honest. I would much rather them communicate with me by text/email/phone on a weekend rather than not at all. Besides I have found that on Fridays sometimes even I forget to remind or inform because I am so excited for the weekend to be here. I am sure they probably feel the same way. However, I always tell that if it is out of daycare hours, I have no obligation or time frame of which to get back to them.

In your case, I can totally see why you would be frustrated! I would have told the mom the same thing. Uhh hello, I need longer than 5 minutes. Especially for a termed parent. I always make sure there is another adult here if a termed family comes back to pick up stuff.

I would also be mad about the schedule not getting to you on Friday. Next time she gets it to you on Sunday night. Text her back and say that since you didnt receive it on Friday as you require per contract, you made plans and can't accomodate her request for care on Monday. I promise that will usually stop them from turning in their schedules late.
Mary Poppins 08:22 AM 03-26-2012
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
I tell my DCFs that texting is reserved for when their children are in care or to notify of illness (for example, at 6am on Monday to tell me their child is sick and not coming). If they need to contact me on the weekend then they can e-mail me so that I can get back to them on my own time and not feel pressure or "on the clock".
That's a good idea, I think I will add it to my policies. Thanks!
Blackcat31 08:24 AM 03-26-2012
I don't really text with parents, as I personally find it to be non-professional. However, I let all my parents know that I have business hours. If they have an emergency or somehting that absolutely cannot wait until business hours then I would be ok with it but otherwise the only time I take calls from parents is during business hours.

If they are calling before or after hours to tell me about an absence, they know to call and leave a message as I won't be answering the phone.

As for texting, I know many people do it and many actually prefer it so I just want to say that my statement about it being unprofessional is just MY PERSONAL opinion and just how I feel so please don't take offense to my feeling if you do text.

If I did text, I would treat it just like a phone call. ONLY during business hours. If a DCP tried to text me their schedule, I would just not respond as I don't do any type of communication unless it is business hours.

Strictly sticking to business hours ONLY is the best way to successfully separate my private life with my work life.
Sunchimes 08:24 AM 03-26-2012
It doesn't bother me, but it's part of my business plan. My parents either don't know they are working until the night before (sometimes they don't know until that morning) and sometimes, parental visitation pops up unexpectedly. I want them to text me as soon as they have information regarding the schedule. I think I got either 4 or 5 texts yesterday.

I've been in business for myself for 30 years (not in day care) and working on weekends when necessary has always been part of our life. DC has far, far less of it than my previous business. I figure I'm at home doing what I want to do, a text is nothing.

But, I run a very loose program and my kids are all over 40 and live far, far away. I know it might be different if I had kids at home.
daycare 08:24 AM 03-26-2012
I was about to post this same exact thread. My DCP are texting not only on the weekends, but before 6am and after 9pm. I have also had a few phone calls come in after 10pm. Because this is the only phone I have (no home land line) I always have the alerts on. So anytime someone text me It goes off...

I recently told the parents that even thought this is a place of business, they needed to understand that it is also my home. NO calls before 6am or after 9pm.....I forgot to mention weekends....lol

years ago I had a parent text me (that had left the DC) wanting referral information while I was on my family vacation. I just text back sorry, I am on my family vacation. They told me that I needed to give it to them now because I can no longer meet their needs therefore its my problem. Of course I didn't answer any further text, they were not even a client anymore at that point..
Mary Poppins 08:25 AM 03-26-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
Text her back and say that since you didnt receive it on Friday as you require per contract, you made plans and can't accomodate her request for care on Monday. I promise that will usually stop them from turning in their schedules late.
That is exactly what dh told me to do.

She was the only one I had issues with getting me her schedule on time *knock on wood*. Sooo annoying!!

She actually might be the reason why I became annoyed with getting texts on the weekends to begin with, now that I think of it. She's the only one to do it to me so far!
Blackcat31 08:28 AM 03-26-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I was about to post this same exact thread. My DCP are texting not only on the weekends, but before 6am and after 9pm. I have also had a few phone calls come in after 10pm.

I recently told the parents that even thought this is a place of business, they needed to understand that it is also my home. NO calls before 6am or after 9pm.....I forgot to mention weekends....lol
Have you considered getting a separate daycare cell phone and then sioml;y turing it off in the evenings and on weekends.

Let the parents know you will be doing that so they will also understand that you will not be receiving any texts or calls other than during business hours.

VERY few daycare parents actually even know my cell phone number so that is one way I cut down on unnecessary contact. I just don't give parents my cell number and the ones I do, I did with strict instuctions and only after I felt comfortable with them as clients so I knew they would not abuse the priviledge.
Mary Poppins 08:28 AM 03-26-2012
I was about to post this same exact thread. My DCP are texting not only on the weekends, but before 6am and after 9pm. I have also had a few phone calls come in after 10pm.

I would be very not happy with that. Good for you for putting your foot down to that!

Someone needs to do an in-depth research project into the (sometimes warped) minds of dcf's. It would be very, very interesting!
sharlan 08:35 AM 03-26-2012
I don't have an issue with it.

My families don't have my home phone #, only cell. I don't walk around with my cell and might not check it all day.
wdmmom 08:40 AM 03-26-2012
I don't want to hear from my families from the close of business Friday to the open of business on Monday unless they are telling me that their child will be absent.

Any parent that said they'd be coming by would be told, "My hours of operation are 730am to 530pm Monday through Thursday and 730am to 3pm Friday. Please call or email me during those times to set up a time when you can get DCG's things."

You did the right thing!
SunshineMama 08:52 AM 03-26-2012
I have not had any excessive texting, or anything that bothers me outside of business hours. Occasionally I wil have a parent texting for advice, and I don't mind a few exchanges during my off hours (since it iterally is months between off-hours texts).

IF I had a parent text me all the time I would be really irritated!
Beach Baby 09:01 AM 03-26-2012
We don't have a landline any more. Dh and I each have our cell phones and that's it. I don't have an issue with my parents texting me, like another poster said, as long as we are communicating, that's all that matters to me. I have good parents so far though. If I had someone texting/calling late at night or early in the morning, I would be pretty upset. I don't have an issue with texts on weekends. For me, it's not really a big deal because it only takes a minute to respond to a text. However, I'm a pretty laid back person, overall, and see my parents outside of business hours as well, since our children play on the same baseball team.

That being said, if one of my parents treated me the way yours did, I would have done the same thing. There is no way I would put up with disrespect like that! Good for you for putting your foot down with her!
nannyde 09:37 AM 03-26-2012
I like texting so it wouldn't bug me. The schedule being late would.

I don't do anything tense or ugly with texting so if something is hard I will call them and talk.

It's not unusual for my parents to text me every day. We are on facebook together too so they IM me too.

I love it.
Soccermom 09:41 AM 03-26-2012
I would also be mad about the schedule not getting to you on Friday. Next time she gets it to you on Sunday night. Text her back and say that since you didnt receive it on Friday as you require per contract, you made plans and can't accomodate her request for care on Monday. I promise that will usually stop them from turning in their schedules late.

This is exactly what I do as well. If you don't tell me in advance that you will be picking up late or needing me an extra day then I will make plans and you will have to make alternate arrangements for your childcare. It usually helps in making them contact you sooner once this has happened a few times.
BigMama 09:57 AM 03-26-2012
I have three moms who text me daily to check in and get an update as to how our day is going...2 are teachers and one works in an office and it is easier for them to text than to call. I like it because I can answer them back when I have a chance and can send a pic of their child playing too!

As far as texting outside of daycare hours..I don't mind at all. Just this weekend I had one mom text me on Friday night asking about an activity we did because her 3 year old was trying to tell her about it. I had another mom text me on Sunday about the new puppy her daughter got. I love this. They text me about illnesses, scheduling, with all types of questions (What was for lunch? Did you notice that weird thing on Howard's ear? etc. etc.) The other great thing about texts is that if you are busy or don't feel like chatting at that moment a simple smiley face and "Great! See you Monday!" lets them know you got their message.

I have to say regarding Daycare's post that texting/calling before 6 and after 9 (unless it was an emergency) would not be ok. Daycare, I am often stunned by some of things your families say and do. I am VERY family-parent-child focused, but I don't think I could handle some of the stuff they come up with!
jen 09:57 AM 03-26-2012
I'm all done with daycare (and loving it) but when I was still doing daycare, it didn't really bother me if parents called or texted during non-business hours. If I was busy, I just didn't answer.

I had more of a personal relationship with my clients; it wasn't unusual for someone to call about a rash or some behavioral issue on weekends or after hours. I think the key is knowing that you don't actually have to answer
DCMom 10:04 AM 03-26-2012
Doesn't bother me. It's the age we live in. My cell phone IS my business line, so this is how they contact me.

I have it in my policies that any text messages, emails, voicemails and phone calls during non-business hours could have a delay in response since it is on my personal time.
Lianne 10:24 AM 03-26-2012
I don't mind texts, calls or emails on my off time. I prefer to encourage the parents to communicate with me and I understand the need to mention something when you think of it so you don't forget to say something later on. If I don't feel like dealing with whatever a client is contacting me about, I just don't respond until I'm ready to do so.
Heidi 12:06 PM 03-26-2012
Originally Posted by nannyde:

I don't do anything tense or ugly with texting so if something is hard I will call them and talk.

It's not unusual for my parents to text me every day. We are on facebook together too so they IM me too.

I love it.
Same here. I haven't had anyone abuse it, so I am fine with it. If they need to text me on a weekend, that's fine. I will call or text back when I can. If I can't it waits. It is my weekend, but it's all good customer service to me.
daycare 12:07 PM 03-26-2012

I love it.
what about when they are texting you trying to get a response from you and you are trying to enjoy your family time??

You still don't mind?
Countrygal 12:08 PM 03-26-2012

I love it.
I agree. My parents all have my cell number, FB friends, most even have my email addy.

To me, it's just as easy as a phone call, sometimes easier.
MrsB 12:23 PM 03-26-2012
what about when they are texting you trying to get a response from you and you are trying to enjoy your family time??

You still don't mind?
I know you didnt ask me but I will respond anyway.

If its a quick response I will respond quickly. If it requires more time to think or I am busy, I will text them back the repsonse "Busy right now, will contact you this evening. I have never had an annoying parent demand an answer right away though. Most are super apologetic and I get the feeling that they feel bad contacting me on the weekends anyway. If it got to a point where they didnt get the hint that I was busy and kept texting or calling, I may do a couple things. 1. Completely ignore their calls or texts. and/or 2. Tell them how it was starting to annoy me. If they still didnt get the hint. I would start charging a communication fee. Something like this... Anytime communication time spent outside the hours of 7am and 6pm will be charged at a rate of $1 per minute or portion thereof, with a minumum of $10 per communication. This includes texts, emails, and phone calls.
daycare 12:39 PM 03-26-2012
I know you didnt ask me but I will respond anyway.

If its a quick response I will respond quickly. If it requires more time to think or I am busy, I will text them back the repsonse "Busy right now, will contact you this evening. I have never had an annoying parent demand an answer right away though. Most are super apologetic and I get the feeling that they feel bad contacting me on the weekends anyway. If it got to a point where they didnt get the hint that I was busy and kept texting or calling, I may do a couple things. 1. Completely ignore their calls or texts. and/or 2. Tell them how it was starting to annoy me. If they still didnt get the hint. I would start charging a communication fee. Something like this... Anytime communication time spent outside the hours of 7am and 6pm will be charged at a rate of $1 per minute or portion thereof, with a minumum of $10 per communication. This includes texts, emails, and phone calls.
lol....Love the attaching $$ idea...too funny.

I guess my parents think of me as their friend too because they feel the need and text all hours and days of the week and day....lol
Bella99 12:47 PM 03-26-2012
I don't mind texts, I think it's a good way to keep in contact with the families. BUT calls/texts being rude like the OP mentioned would not fly.
nannyde 01:01 PM 03-26-2012

You still don't mind?
Naw

I really really like my families so more often than not it's ME texting them on a weekend to tell them about some supersaver something going on or that I got a new tent.

The beauty of texting with my group is that it's a way to stay in touch or share life stuff and it only takes a couple of seconds. The business stuff is quick too.

I've had them texting me on the way out of state... at the car dealership... at Disney... wherever. Had one a couple of weeks ago when the Mom was at the checkout counter at the grocery store and texted me to ask me if I taught her kid that snickers were called spinach. Ummm... I plead the 5th on that Mom. I don't know WHERE she got that idea. Show her a Butterfinger and she will tell you it's brussel sprouts. wooops... Now you have uncovered my MASTER plan of them telling you they are having veggies for snack when in real life they are having a fun sized snickers. Busted I be.

I think texting is the best invention in my lifetime not counting cable tv, the internet, and live streaming video... yeah that kind of stuff.
Heidi 01:04 PM 03-26-2012
Naw

I really really like my families so more often than not it's ME texting them on a weekend to tell them about some supersaver something going on or that I got a new tent.

The beauty of texting with my group is that it's a way to stay in touch or share life stuff and it only takes a couple of seconds. The business stuff is quick too.

I've had them texting me on the way out of state... at the car dealership... at Disney... wherever. Had one a couple of weeks ago when the Mom was at the checkout counter at the grocery store and texted me to ask me if I taught her kid that snickers were called spinach. Ummm... I plead the 5th on that Mom. I don't know WHERE she got that idea. Show her a Butterfinger and she will tell you it's brussel sprouts. wooops... Now you have uncovered my MASTER plan of them telling you they are having veggies for snack when in real life they are having a fun sized snickers. Busted I be.

I think texting is the best invention in my lifetime not counting cable tv, the internet, and live streaming video... yeah that kind of stuff.
That is a GREAT idea! So stealing it! Now I need to by some brussel sprouts...I mean Butterfingers.
nannyde 01:09 PM 03-26-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
That is a GREAT idea! So stealing it! Now I need to by some brussel sprouts...I mean Butterfingers.
Works like a charm but don't do M&M's. Once they learn the letter M the gig is up.
familyschoolcare 01:41 PM 03-26-2012
The thing that would have bothered me in the orginal post was that the texts was time sensative. I tell my parents do not E-mail ot text me something that

is time sensative because you have no way of knowing if my phone, computer or service is having a problem and I did not get the message. When

it need to be explained I say if you need to tell me it before you will see me in person call me.
littlemissmuffet 08:08 PM 03-26-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:

Anyway, how do you feel about being texted on weekends particularly Sundays regardless of what the context is, etc?
I don't text and even if I did, it's not a form of communication I would have with clients. Phone, email and face to face only. I don't answer the phone after hours - parents leave a message and I decide whether or not I need to call back and collect more information, etc. Same with email.

The way I see it, I am the owner of this daycare 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and it's my job to at least have a way of parents to contact me/pass information to me if/when need be... whether or not I chose to respond outside of "open" hours simply depends on the situation.
3girls 07:23 PM 04-01-2012

I love it.
This is me too. I would be upset by the parent not following policy. My daycare parents like to hear what we are doing during the day so I usually send out at least one text a day. On my end I would much much much rather a text than a phone call. I'm too busy/its too loud to answer the phone usually.
Crazy8 08:55 PM 04-01-2012
I don't mind texting, actually I'd prefer they text me instead of calling me over a weekend. I can read their text and reply with a simple "ok" - doesn't interfere with my family time at all - a 10 min. phone call would.

The late schedule thing would bug me and TELLING me they will be coming by in 5 min. would bug me, and I would not accomodate either - but I have daycare parents who text me over the weekend telling me how busy a local amusement place is when we talked about it on Friday - that I don't mind at all. I know its frowned upon by some, but I have a level of "friendship" with most of my daycare families and I like it that way!
MarinaVanessa 07:40 PM 04-02-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I don't mind texting, actually I'd prefer they text me instead of calling me over a weekend. I can read their text and reply with a simple "ok" - doesn't interfere with my family time at all - a 10 min. phone call would.
Ditto here too. They know that if they ask me a business related question they may not get an answer until Monday. Other than that I appreciate a short text telling if they'll be late or not coming on Monday morn.
Tags:texting
Reply Up