Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Should NOT Be Forgotten In A Contract???
Crazy8 09:51 AM 08-27-2013
Aside from the most common stuff, what do you feel is important to have in your contract???

Reprinting mine today and want to add anything I may have missed in the past!

I have the usuals - late fees, vacation/holidays, meals, etc. I'm adding something about potty training - never had that in there before. What other types of things like that would you add???
VTMom 09:57 AM 08-27-2013
If you have after school kids as well, perhaps:

(Something I added with my last update was in reference to school age kids) Basically if they aren't in school while school is in session, they can't be here (i.e. illness, suspension, doctors appointments). Along the same lines, I added that anything to do with school (homework, show and tell, food/snacks, packing snow gear and sneakers into backpacks) is not my responsibility.
Cradle2crayons 10:00 AM 08-27-2013
Don't forget payment is expected even with an absence due to illness!!
KDC 10:00 AM 08-27-2013
I have a no outside toys coming into the daycare rule. They get lost, broken, are often the cause of fights. Parents like to comfort their kids to daycare by having them bring something from home. It's a big pain. I'm in the process of modifying mine to include that a child may not bring a toy here unless it's a designated show and tell day. I have plenty of toys!
Maria2013 10:01 AM 08-27-2013
I have a segment going over curriculum readiness because I have had issues in the passed where parents try to tell me what and when to teach their kids ...kids weren't ready and trying to push "written" pages on them would have been frustrating for both of us not to mention a big waste in material
melilley 10:05 AM 08-27-2013
I have a clause in mine that I can change anything in my contract or handbook as long as I give families a 2 week notice. That way, you can add or delete as things come up! There are so many things to think of to put in a contract and handbook! I have a separate contract and handbook though.
Maria2013 10:05 AM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by KDC:
I have a no outside toys coming into the daycare rule. They get lost, broken, are often the cause of fights. Parents like to comfort their kids to daycare by having them bring something from home. It's a big pain. I'm in the process of modifying mine to include that a child may not bring a toy here unless it's a designated show and tell day. I have plenty of toys!
I thought of doing that then decided to put: "I'm not to be held accountable for lost or damaged property" that seems to work well for me never had fights over a "personal" toy
melilley 10:06 AM 08-27-2013
An illness policy is great to have!
Maria2013 10:06 AM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
I have a clause in mine that I can change anything in my contract orhandbook as long as I give families a 2 week notice. That way, you can add or delete as things come up! There are so many things to think of to put in a contract and handbook! I have a separate contract and handbook.
yup I gave myself that right too
melilley 10:07 AM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
yup I gave myself that right too
There is just so much that can change or that you don't think of so it's great to have the ability to change it!
butterfly 10:08 AM 08-27-2013
A good illness policy! I've never had more issues than with illness type issues.
AfterSchoolMom 02:27 PM 08-27-2013
Give yourself a contract out - mine said something like "provider reserves the right to terminate this contract at will. The contract may be terminated with no notice given in cases including but not limited to (insert violence, disregarding rules, nonpayment, etc.)."

Of course, most of the time I did give notice, but I wanted to CMA in all situations.

I only had a one week notice for parents, but I did school age care.

Oh, and make sure you're clear in your illness policy that a Dr.'s note is not the golden ticket to return to care...you can require they show you one but in the end YOU are the decider of who returns and who does not.
Reply Up