Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Transportation favor
misstee 02:48 PM 09-22-2010
I have daycare children who's parent gets off at 9pm 3 days a week, i close at 630pm everyday she asked me if i could keep them late the 3 days she gets off late i said i would help her out on top of that she needs her 4 year old picked up from school way on the other side for those 3 days also, my hubbie said he would pick him up for her everyday hes been on time picking him up ran 15 min late today and she called fussing at me for her child getting picked up late and she does not even get charged for this transportation..
Michael 05:56 PM 09-22-2010
Hi misstee, Welcome to our forum!
Chickenhauler 12:08 AM 09-23-2010
Tell her she's getting what she paid for?

I think you may have gotten into one of those "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" situations.

Also, another thing....even though you're not charging extra, you are transporting this child as part of your business, and your personal auto insurance may not cover anything that happens to this child in the case of an accident, because technically, they insured your car(s) for private, non-business use.
momofboys 03:33 AM 09-23-2010
Originally Posted by misstee:
I have daycare children who's parent gets off at 9pm 3 days a week, i close at 630pm everyday she asked me if i could keep them late the 3 days she gets off late i said i would help her out on top of that she needs her 4 year old picked up from school way on the other side for those 3 days also, my hubbie said he would pick him up for her everyday hes been on time picking him up ran 15 min late today and she called fussing at me for her child getting picked up late and she does not even get charged for this transportation..
Wow, you are keeping them 2 1/2 hrs longer & not charging them? That's more than just a favor IMO!!! I would definitely add a set fee on those days ($15-25 extra/day?!) & an extra fee for the transportation. I'm not sure how long these kids are in your care but it's definitely worth extra money because that is a lot of extra time. I assume when the parent works late they get paid extra or overtime? You should be due something also. Regarding your husband's late pick up I would explain that yes he was late but that can happen with anyone. I'd be annoyed (with DCM not you)!
AfterSchoolMom 05:18 AM 09-23-2010
That's 7.5 extra hours per week - I'd DEFINITELY charge extra for those days, and I agree that an added charge for transportation should be charged as well.

I do think you should look into a form or something for the parents to sign stating that you are not to be held liable for accidents or injury that occur while the child is riding in your car.

As far as Mom getting mad b/c of the late pickup - if she's worried about it, she needs to come pick up herself! Beggars can't be choosers!
MarinaVanessa 12:31 PM 09-23-2010
If she was getting pissy at me for this I'd say something like:

"Oh I totally understand where you're coming from. I was thinking about this also and seeing as to how we're doing you this favor at no additional cost I've had to reevaluate the situation. Since I am closed at 6:30 anything that goes over that is overtime and so that will be charged at an additional $X per day. As for my husband doing you the favor of picking up your child for you I will need you to sign a release waiver and an additional $.50 per mile so that we can claim it on our taxes. The school is X amount of miles away so it comes out to $x per pick-up. This way it's all a part of business and not just a favor. If you are concerned about your daughter being picked up late, well my husband is picking her up and so I can't always guarantee that he won't occasionally be a little late so you might want to save yourself a little extra cash and worry lines and see if you can't find someone else that can guarantee 100% that she will be picked up exactly on time. When can you stop by to sign the new contract?"

This will deffinetely start the conversation about how you are doing her a favor and so she should be thankful and not nit-pick. As my 5yo likes to say "You get what you get and you don't pitch a fit" or better yet my old favorite "Beggars can't be choosy". *** I hadn't read the earlierpost before I posted my old favorite quote lol.
Tags:transportation
Reply Up