Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Total Days Off Do You Take Per Year?
Core12 03:32 AM 10-04-2018
I’m making plans for my days off for 2019.
So far, I have 14 days. This includes federal holidays, and vacation. I don’t have sick days because I work with my mom.
Just wanted to know if I’m way out of line for my home daycare or not.
We have a total of nine children all under three years old.
amberrose3dg 03:33 AM 10-04-2018
Originally Posted by Core12:
I’m making plans for my days off for 2019.
So far, I have 14 days. This includes federal holidays, and vacation. I don’t have sick days because I work with my mom.
Just wanted to know if I’m way out of line for my home daycare or not.
We have a total of nine children all under three years old.
Nope, I take 2 weeks PAID vacation as well as 10 holidays, 5 personal and 3 training days.
kendallina 05:49 AM 10-04-2018
2 weeks at Christmas paid
1 week spring break paid
1 week vacation summer NOT paid
Random other holidays and school closure days paid
Blackcat31 06:05 AM 10-04-2018
I take most federal holidays off as well as 1 week in the summer and 1 week during Christmas.

All my days open and closed days are paid.

I also take random days whenever I need to but not without plenty of notice. I don't have "sick" days but wouldn't shy away from taking a day if I needed to, I just haven't needed to before.

Plus I don't like labeling any my days off/closed as 'sick' or 'vacation' etc as I feel that sometimes allows parents more info than they really need to know. If I take a day off, it's because I am self employed and chose to take a day off. WHY isn't really anyone's business.
LittleExplorers 06:33 AM 10-04-2018
I run on the school calendar so any days teachers are not required to work, I am off. Tuition is one rate during the school year, so they are all paid. I do have 3 personal/sick days built in as well. I have never needed them. If I needed other days off in addition to those, I would probably not charge.
Unregistered 08:18 AM 10-04-2018
I agree with using generic terms for your time off (pto or similar). Back when I had personal days and vacation days at different rates of tuition pay, I had a client tell me that they felt that since my personal day was immediately following the day I got back from vacation that it should also be considered a vacation day and a half pay and that she felt that me calling it a personal day was kind of BS. I now call them Pto it is for this reason. they don't need to know if it's for a personal reason or vacation, just that I'm closed.
Unregistered 08:39 AM 10-04-2018
I take up to 3 weeks vacation, not set times in year but parents get at least 30 days notice (often more), this is unpaid. (Though one family dose pay me on their own accord). As well as stat days ( like federal holidays) as well as 2 days easter Monday and civic day that I added in, are taken off. These i get paid for even if i take a vaction day around them. In addition i work a half day on December 24 and close at 5 instead of 6 on halloween.
Ariana 08:47 AM 10-04-2018
My contract states that I have 5 paid sick days and 5 paid personal days. I also have 4 weeks of vacation and all stat holidays.

I typically take less than 5 sick days, rarely take personal days and 3 weeks of vacation. This summer I am taking all 4 weeks!
Gemma 09:13 AM 10-04-2018
I'm only closed Thanksgiving, Christmas and first of the year
but I usually don't have any kids on Christmas and New Year's Eve either so 5 days x year
Pandaluver21 06:38 PM 10-04-2018
Responded to the wrong post :P
But while I'm here...
I am only closed major holidays. In the 10 years I've been in business I have closed twice. Once when my dad had a heart attack and once when I had 104 temp, sinus infection, double ear infection and strep!

Any other time I'm ill, my roommate helps out or I hire a sub. I rarely travel, but when I did I hired a sub for the time.
jenboo 08:44 PM 10-04-2018
As much as I can

I would take all holidays (mon or fri if they landed on the weekend), 3-4 extended weekends and 2-3 weeks off.
Everything unpaid, I compensated by increasing my rates to pay for it. Parents like seeing "free" and I make the same amount either way.
DaveA 03:55 AM 10-05-2018
10 paid holidays- major ones including day after Thanksgiving & 12/26 plus birthday & anniversary

1 week unpaid summer break

1 week unpaid winter break taken either as a full week or 2 long weekends.
BrightBeginnings2014 01:10 PM 10-05-2018
I take 25 days a year paid. This will include whatever holidays I take off and add in some sick days too. We send our families our closure at the end of the year for the next year.
Jo123ABC 02:45 PM 10-05-2018
I have 10 sick, 6 vacation/professional development, and I take 10 state holidays.
knoxmomof2 09:39 PM 10-06-2018
5 paid--Thanksgiving and the day after, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and either Memorial Day / Labor Day/ 4th of July depending on which one I have plans for. Then, I take 2 weeks unpaid vacation a year and they get 1 week vacation where they don't owe anything for care. Otherwise, I charge a full weekly rate.

I've only been doing this for 6 years and this year is my first year being able to charge full weekly rates as well as having paid Holidays so I'll be adding to my paid days off as I get more experience and new clients.
Tags:contracted days, days off, paid holidays
Reply Up