Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>SA Rate??
mrsnj 09:39 AM 05-31-2013
Ok.....
I have two SA kids already. I know I have underwritten myself. I wasn't expecting to have more than one or two. Now I might have four come Sept!
If I am taking on that many and filling spots, I need to know if I am on the right track.

Right now I only charge $30 (flat fee if they come or not). I don't charge anything for half days but they have to pack their own lunch. And I charge an additional $20 for a full day on top of the $30. I know I am WAY under. I am eating the cost of extra care for half days and I even take a loss for the full day because I round down. My full day fee is $24 but I figure it is easier to whip out $20 than $24. I know I know. But it started with just one. It wasn't meant to be a money maker.

How much do you charge? What about when school is a half day? What about when there is holidays/school closings and the kids need to come all day? Do you charge if they come or not? A daily or flat fee? Do they bring their lunches or do you provide? Do you have any special rules or regulations? Do you give sibling discounts for SA (i know this one is coming so better ask around) What about homework? Do you help or allow them to do it there?
mrsnj 10:58 AM 05-31-2013
My mind if rolling .....
My schools get out at different times for regular days as well as half days depending on the school/grade. So take a half day....I can have 1 and 2 grade for 5 hours in the afternoon. I can have kinder and grade school for 4 hours or so. Kinder is served lunch in school on half days but the older grades are not (hence why I requested packed lunches) So should that effect??

What if they are school age (kinder to whatever) or if they are prek doing the public school? Do you charge more or the same?

I need to make these rates and rules solid so I don't have any issues. This is the first time I have had this many!!
Leigh 11:13 AM 05-31-2013
I charge $40 a week and on 1/2 days of school, it's an additional $15.
mrsnj 11:21 AM 05-31-2013
I have one prek'r now. We have a 3 hour program that has an afternoon or morning shift. That is no problem. But they just started a 6 hour program of one class. If she does that one do I still charge the same as my school age kids or part time rate cause of her age??

(gosh this is so confusing)
AfterSchoolMom 06:20 PM 05-31-2013
For before AND after?

I charge 75 per week for both, 45 per week for afternoons only. $15 extra for half days. I'm only open when school is open, so I don't do full days. They pay whether they're here or not. I don't, however, charge when school is closed for holidays and they're not here. No sibling discounts. I encourage them to do their homework and will help if asked, but I don't force them to do it, and I don't "tutor" - they'd have to pay a LOT more for that!
LaLa1923 06:42 PM 05-31-2013
Originally Posted by mrsnj:
Ok.....
I have two SA kids already. I know I have underwritten myself. I wasn't expecting to have more than one or two. Now I might have four come Sept!
If I am taking on that many and filling spots, I need to know if I am on the right track.

Right now I only charge $30 (flat fee if they come or not). I don't charge anything for half days but they have to pack their own lunch. And I charge an additional $20 for a full day on top of the $30. I know I am WAY under. I am eating the cost of extra care for half days and I even take a loss for the full day because I round down. My full day fee is $24 but I figure it is easier to whip out $20 than $24. I know I know. But it started with just one. It wasn't meant to be a money maker.

How much do you charge? What about when school is a half day? What about when there is holidays/school closings and the kids need to come all day? Do you charge if they come or not? A daily or flat fee? Do they bring their lunches or do you provide? Do you have any special rules or regulations? Do you give sibling discounts for SA (i know this one is coming so better ask around) What about homework? Do you help or allow them to do it there?

$30 a week ??!!

I charge $100 a week during the school year for before and after care. If school is out 1-2 days a week it's $20 extra each day. For an entire week it's $150.
$150 a week during the summer.
Little Star75 11:38 PM 05-31-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
$30 a week ??!!

I charge $100 a week during the school year for before and after care. If school is out 1-2 days a week it's $20 extra each day. For an entire week it's $150.
I know right.... same here on the rate
Laurel 04:59 AM 06-01-2013
Ok.....

I don't do SA anymore (too much hassle) but I used to. I still do full time SA on school holidays on rare occasions depending on if the child is a well behaved one. I only do SA care for children that have grown up in my daycare and have aged out or if they are siblings of current clients.

Why don't you check around at what other before and after school programs in your area charge and base your fees on that? I would never, ever, ever do any time for free.

I made the mistake once of watching a SA'er for only $10 a day (all day on a spring break) and he brought lunch. What a mistake! He was a great kid so no behavior problems and he did bring lunch. He ate parts of his lunch and then wanted what we had so he's a kid and I let him have some. As the week went on, just a few items showed up in his lunch box so I added some food to it. It just seems when you give people an inch they take a mile and then you feel resentful...or I do. At least I learned from my mistakes. Not doing that anymore!

Okay, I guess I vented rather than helping you much. Sorry.

But check around and don't cheat yourself. You're worth it!

Laurel
Cradle2crayons 05:17 AM 06-01-2013
During the school year I charge $50 after school care only. I feed them snack, they do home work. Parents are responsible to study for tests, do required reading etc. extra tutoring costs more. Pay is up front and no refund for days they aren't here.

I don't do summer ft SA because it messes with my numbers and my program isn't set up for that age group typically.
Leigh 10:14 AM 06-02-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
$30 a week ??!!

How many hours do you have SA kids? I have them only about 6 hours per week (I don't do before school care-perhaps you do?). I WISH I could get $100 for that!
momofboys 12:44 PM 06-02-2013
Originally Posted by Little Star75:
I know right.... same here on the rate
It may be the norm for her area - that being said most people around me charge $10/day ($50/week) for before & after per child. Now if there was an early release day or school delay I would charge an add'l $5. I don't take SA children now but if I did I would be charging $12/day for B & A or $8.00/day for either service.

Edited to add - when I did have SA I typically would only have them 2-3 hrs/day so at the most possibly 15 hrs/week. Our local center charges $80/week for B & A & $50/week for one service only.
DaisyMamma 06:47 AM 06-03-2013
Ok.....

Take what you think you should charge and double it They are so much work!

I charge $75/week. Includes snack only. Half days add $10, still snack only but 2 snacks. Full days add $25 includes breakfast, 2 snacks, lunch. Or complete full time week for vacas is $175. And even then I tend to say no to SA inquiries unless they have a younger sibling enrolled.
mrsnj 12:14 PM 06-03-2013
Lol $30 is NOT the norm in my area. Easily centers charge $130 at least. I can't see charging that much to get them on and off the bus. Where I get itchy about is the part time and full days. Wasn't sure how to work that. And it started out as just one sibling. So I just charged $30 cause I only would have her about two hr a day. But then I got another one and now two more. It is filling up and I am losing money I know.

I decided the preker I will be charging part time rate. She isn't school age. She is prek no matter if she is here full time or part time. She takes a head count. They won't be pleased. The sister was the first time sa child I just mentioned and I know they are expecting $30

Now to figure out how to raise my rate for the sa kids without upsetting people Hummmmm...
Blackcat31 12:29 PM 06-03-2013

I decided the preker I will be charging part time rate. She isn't school age. She is prek no matter if she is here full time or part time. She takes a head count. They won't be pleased. The sister was the first time sa child I just mentioned and I know they are expecting $30 .

Explain to the parents that the reason older sister got the $30 rate was because you were still making an income off the younger one. Now with the younger one not being full time, you don't have that base amount still coming in so her part time rate is more than her sister's was

Now to figure out how to raise my rate for the sa kids without upsetting people Hummmmm...
Instead of raising my rates, other options I've considered is to have parents supply things (lunches, snacks, tissues, crayons, paint etc) and/or required a minimum weekly attendance at ONE flat rate whether they attend or not.

I offer half days but it must be either the first 4 hours of the morning BEFORE lunch or the last 3 hours of the day AFTER nap time and lunch so that I can fill spaces around them . Anyone wanting care between 11 and 2 gets billed a full day.
Reply Up