Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Benefits of Cots versus Just Nap Mats
BrooklynM 02:12 PM 11-20-2014
Hello-

So I'm having issues with my 2 year old DCKs transitioning them over to nap mats. I have a fully foam tiled playroom, so I didn't think I needed cots, so I just have nap mats, but now I am thinking that the cots may help them stay in in bed more rather than rolling over onto the floor?

I don't have the space to store the cots that don't fold up, but I was looking at these- http://www.amazon.com/Regalo-5001-My...ds=toddler+cot

Anyone have these or can you recommend anything? Also what do you use for a partition in between (again, I don't have a lot of room for storage). They are constantly talking to each other, rolling over, even when I am in the middle...
Crazy8 02:18 PM 11-20-2014
I just switched to those cots from nap mats this year. I didn't have too much of an issue with kids getting off the mats but they do seem comfy on the cots. I liked that I could fold them up and store them in half the space of my mats (my mats folded in 3).
BrooklynM 02:21 PM 11-20-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I just switched to those cots from nap mats this year. I didn't have too much of an issue with kids getting off the mats but they do seem comfy on the cots. I liked that I could fold them up and store them in half the space of my mats (my mats folded in 3).
Thank you! Do you have anything in between the kids so they can't see each other? I think part of my problem is that my room is too light- I have a sliding glass door in the room and I removed the vertical blinds because the kids would pull on them, so I think maybe an outside roll down shade would help.

It was a lot easier with them all in pack n plays!
craftymissbeth 02:53 PM 11-20-2014
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
I've seen these at Wal-Mart and thought about using these to replace my nap mats, also.

Do you have issues with children older than 3ish? I have a 4 yo dck so I've been hesitant to buy something he would be too long for. For comparison's sake, are these longer than say a PNP or a crib mattress?
Michael 03:02 PM 11-20-2014
We have other threads on this: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=cots+vs+mats
momtomany74 03:27 PM 11-20-2014
I use the Regalo cots and my littles love them.
Shell 03:43 PM 11-20-2014
I use 3' crib mattresses designed for pack n plays. They were a little pricey, but super comfy. They can be sprayed down to disinfect, and the kids seem to sleep well on them.
Wednesday! 03:54 PM 11-20-2014
We're required to use cots to elevate the children off of the floor, so that's all I've ever used. I was looking at those same exact cots but decided to go with the kind that don't fold because they were on sale and the foldable kind got mixed reviews.
midaycare 04:38 PM 11-20-2014
I use nap mats and must admit all the kids love them. But I buy the super super thick ones. They are really comfy!

My kids sometimes roll around but I have carpet and the floor is kept warm, so I don't worry too much.
Leigh 05:00 PM 11-20-2014
I have tried mats and I have tried the Regalo cots. I prefer the Regalo cots to the mats, but really, the cots that DON'T fold up are the easiest to clean, and the kids seem more comfortable on them. I really don't have space for them, either, they are stored in a corner of the toy room, but I think they're the best (and folding up those Regalos after every nap isn't very fun, either.
Play Care 03:05 AM 11-21-2014
I use mats, but I move things around so the kids can't see each other and their area is limited. I bought some room darkening curtains at Wal-mart along with some tension rods and use a fan for white noise. Every day while the kids are eating, I set up the play room for napping (I have an open concept house so am still in view/sound) I was worried since my house is newer and mostly windows, but it gets pretty dark and cozy on the main level. So far this has worked well. I like cots, and if I had a separate dc space would consider them. But I only have the main level of my home.

But not being able to see each other, or hear each other (over the fan) has worked wonders.
LoraJenkins 04:16 AM 11-21-2014
I used those cots for years until they were just worn out...lol. They are GREAT for children until about the age of 4, then my dcks grew out of them. When my daughter moved out and I suddenly had a "nap" room I bought traditional cots.
Controlled Chaos 11:48 AM 11-21-2014
I have those cots and really like them. I put crib sheets on them +the child's blanket from home and the kids sleep great on them. 18m to 5 yrs have done fine on them. Anyone 2 and older folds their own cot and waddles it over to the closet where I put them in a large Rubbermaid with no lid. All 6 fit in one extra large Rubbermaid. I do tighten the screws once a month or so. That's my only complaint but it takes 30 sec a cot so no big deal
Tags:cots vs mats
Reply Up