Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Whose money is it?
Yours 11 40.74%
Theirs 4 14.81%
Depends....(explain!) 12 44.44%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Selling Your Children's Toys
SilverSabre25 07:16 AM 08-09-2013
When it comes time to sell off toys that belong to your kids, or used to belong to them, is the money yours, or theirs?
Lianne 07:22 AM 08-09-2013
For me it would depend on my (the family's) need for the money. Am I trying to scrape enough together to pay the mortgage/rent or buy groceries? Then yes, the money would go for that, to help cover the child's basic needs. If the situation wasn't so serious then I'd likely bank the money on the child's behalf to help pay for clothes or other supplies the child will need in the near future. If my child is trying to save money to purchase something then THEY can sell their things (with my approval first) and keep that money to put towards whatever they are saving for.
kendallina 07:24 AM 08-09-2013
I voted it depends. We're having a yard sale next weekend and we're in the process of buying a house. My daughter is 4 years old. The fact that we need money and she's only 4 years old means that the money goes to us! If she were older, at an age where she could participate more in the process of pricing and selling her toys, then the money could go to her.
kitkat 07:26 AM 08-09-2013
It depends on the toy and if they chose to sell it or if I chose. If I chose to sell it because it doesn't get played with, the I keep all money. If thyr chose to sell it and it is a little toy, then they can keep the money. If it's a larger or more expensive toy, then they get a share of the money.
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 08-09-2013
If I bought the toy, the money belongs to me (family in general).

But if the toy was something my child purchased themselves with their own earned money (my kids were taught early on how to save and spend wisely) then the money belongs to them and they can do whatever they want with that money.

If the toy was a gift for their birthday and/or Christmas, then the money goes into their savings account and they were not allowed to spend it.
sally 07:40 AM 08-09-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

But if the toy was something my child purchased themselves with their own earned money (my kids were taught early on how to save and spend wisely) then the money belongs to them and they can do whatever they want with that money.

If the toy was a gift for their birthday and/or Christmas, then the money goes into their savings account and they were not allowed to spend it.
This is how I think too
Play Care 08:33 AM 08-09-2013

AfterSchoolMom 08:55 AM 08-09-2013
I voted "it depends". If we don't NEED the money for something, and they want to buy a new toy and no longer play with the item that they want to sell, I usually let them keep it. For instance, recently my son sold a large collection of Bakugan toys. He hadn't touched them in about two years, and he wanted a new basketball....so he sold the toys to his friend, got an item that he wanted and would get a lot of use out of, and I didn't have to worry about putting them on Craigslist. Win win!

Mine know, though, that they can't just sell or give away their toys willy-nilly. They must ask my permission first.
Brooksie 08:57 AM 08-09-2013

SilverSabre25 08:59 AM 08-09-2013
Ah, you all make it more complicated!

I'm selling the stuff because I'm purging crap from the house, not for any other reason. Kids are 2 and 5.75. The toys are a combination of stuff given for birthdays and stuff we bought.
mema 09:09 AM 08-09-2013
I voted depends. Lately when selling stuff, I've been keeping the money to help pay for their activities since dc has been a little slow. I guess, technically then, they are getting the money. Normally if it's clothes, I keep it to put towards their next size. Toys I bought, I usually keep the money. Toys they bought or received as gifts, they get 50% to spend, 50% to save.
Familycare71 11:14 AM 08-09-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Ah, you all make it more complicated!

I'm selling the stuff because I'm purging crap from the house, not for any other reason. Kids are 2 and 5.75. The toys are a combination of stuff given for birthdays and stuff we bought.
When we do garage sales or purge my kids keep their money- it helps motivate them .
However I have been donating almost anything we get rid of lately- it teaches them to give back and (shhhh) I get $ off my taxes
mamac 12:00 PM 08-09-2013

SilverSabre25 12:04 PM 08-09-2013
assuming i actually get any money for the stuff (i'm just selling it at once upon a child) I think I'll save it towards either the bed I want to buy DD for her birthday (the cool loft bed from ikea) or towards the kids' winter wardrobes.

Thanks guys! I so rarely get rid of toys...this is a big step for me, lol.
spud912 02:43 PM 08-09-2013
Furniture from their room? Mine.

Toys from their room? Theirs 100% IMO. When I give something to someone, it is theirs in every sense of the word I think. WITH THAT BEING SAID, I do sometimes re-designate the prophets to something else for them. For example, if they/I sell something of theirs for $5, then I will use that money towards a reward I promised for that child.

Who am I kidding...I think after bills and grocery staples, 99% of our spending goes to our daughters anyway . I can't help it! I feel incredibly guilty buying anything for myself. I can't tell you how many times I force myself to go to the store to buy clothing for myself because mine are covered in stains and holey, only to walk out with a bag of stuff for them and nothing for me .
DaycareMama 07:17 PM 08-09-2013
Originally Posted by Lianne:
For me it would depend on my (the family's) need for the money. Am I trying to scrape enough together to pay the mortgage/rent or buy groceries? Then yes, the money would go for that, to help cover the child's basic needs. If the situation wasn't so serious then I'd likely bank the money on the child's behalf to help pay for clothes or other supplies the child will need in the near future. If my child is trying to save money to purchase something then THEY can sell their things (with my approval first) and keep that money to put towards whatever they are saving for.
This
littlemissmuffet 08:07 PM 08-09-2013
We donate almost all used goods, and this is something we plan on passing along to our daughter. When she gets a new toy she will be asked to choose an old toy to give away!
Cradle2crayons 06:47 AM 08-10-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
We donate almost all used goods, and this is something we plan on passing along to our daughter. When she gets a new toy she will be asked to choose an old toy to give away!

We do this often and my kids will actually come to me regularly wi a bag of donated items. It makes them feel good.
SunnyDay 01:00 PM 08-10-2013

I don't have time to sell things, when we are done with them they get donated.
SilverSabre25 05:45 PM 08-10-2013
I donate most of what we get rid of too. It's just these good condition kids toys that I'm feeling the urge to see if Once Upon a Child will take from me. At least half of them came from there in the first place.
My3cents 11:05 AM 08-12-2013
depends on the age of the child. preteens, teens the money belongs to them. Younger kids I would keep it and do with it what I see fit. I might give them a few dollars if they worked the sale. All depends upon the age of the kids.
wdmmom 11:23 AM 08-12-2013
If I bought the toys, the money is mine but I also turn around and buy something else they want/need.

If they buy the toys with their own money and want to sell it, they get to keep the money but they must turn around and buy something they want/need with it.

If I just gave my kids money, they'd be asking to go over to the gas station and blow it on candy, pop and ice cream.
melilley 12:06 PM 08-12-2013
I have only sold my dd's stuff in a garage sale and I did let her keep the money. If they don't sell then we donate them.
Unregistered 12:16 PM 08-12-2013
We do consignment sales twice a year. The things I sell go to fund the things we buy- toys and clothes.
Mommy2One 11:26 AM 08-15-2013
My daughter just turned 4yo. I usually purge right before her birthday and right before Christmas so while I "keep" most of the money it's actually getting re-invested in new presents for her. Even if it's a random clutter control sale, she's generally a bit spoiled and gets far more spent on her every month than I could get from selling her outgrown things so I figure she's coming out ahead overall.

I can also justify "keeping" the money because I bought most of the original items, I'm the one who's cleaning them up, taking photos, posting the ad, making appointments to sell them, etc. I usually give her a small amount of it ($5 out of $20 for example) to encourage her to let go of the things she's outgrown and to go along with the other things we do to teach her that mommy and daddy work to earn money, things cost money, we have to make choices on which things to buy/pay for, if you break or waste things we have less money for "fun", etc.
Tags:selling - stuff, selling - toys, toys
Reply Up