Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Temperatures For Taking Kids Outside
Unregistered 06:29 AM 11-10-2017
I am in MN. I am just wondering what is the lowest temperature that you will take kids outside. I recently did an interview and the parents mentioned that at their previous daycare, the provider didn't take them outside unless it was at least 30 degrees. They were shocked to hear that I take them outside when it is less than 30 degrees. I always take wind chill into consideration before making a decision, but i have definitely taken kids outside when it has been lower than 30 degrees. I also take into consideration the overall age of the group that I have each day and if they have appropriate clothes for outside. (Some kids are still coming in fall/spring jackets.)
Living in MN, if we didn't take kids outside unless it was at least 30 degrees, we would be inside all winter. Today's high temp is supossed to be 28°, but the high feel like temp is around 15°. Licensing requires us to take kids outside everyday, weather permitting. How many of you plan on taking the kids outside today? I usually would, but now am second guessing myself.
Blackcat31 06:39 AM 11-10-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am in MN. I am just wondering what is the lowest temperature that you will take kids outside. I recently did an interview and the parents mentioned that at their previous daycare, the provider didn't take them outside unless it was at least 30 degrees. They were shocked to hear that I take them outside when it is less than 30 degrees. I always take wind chill into consideration before making a decision, but i have definitely taken kids outside when it has been lower than 30 degrees. I also take into consideration the overall age of the group that I have each day and if they have appropriate clothes for outside. (Some kids are still coming in fall/spring jackets.)
Living in MN, if we didn't take kids outside unless it was at least 30 degrees, we would be inside all winter. Today's high temp is supossed to be 28°, but the high feel like temp is around 15°. Licensing requires us to take kids outside everyday, weather permitting. How many of you plan on taking the kids outside today? I usually would, but now am second guessing myself.
30F?! Lol!

I can't believe a Minnesotan could say that with a straight face!

I take the kids outside everyday. Sometimes only a few minutes but we still go. The only time we are "stuck"inside is in really bad weather... blizzard, extreme cold (MN definition of extreme) and/or obvious dangerous or bad weather.

Winter is just part of life here. There really is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing.
LysesKids 07:09 AM 11-10-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
30F?! Lol!

I can't believe a Minnesotan could say that with a straight face!

I take the kids outside everyday. Sometimes only a few minutes but we still go. The only time we are "stuck"inside is in really bad weather... blizzard, extreme cold (MN definition of extreme) and/or obvious dangerous or bad weather.

Winter is just part of life here. There really is no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing.
What? Do these parents not ice skate, play hockey or have snowball fights? Even in WI/North IL we were outdoors unless windchill made it dangerous. IN Sweden/Iceland babes are dressed in warm clothing and sleep outdoors in prams during nap time lol. I still have some parents bitch me here when I say we are going out in 45 degrees - Deal with it
Unregistered 07:30 AM 11-10-2017
The majority of my parents have never questioned me taking their childrenout in "cold" weather. I guess I was more surprised that their other PROVIDER didn't take them outside unless it was 30 degrees! Wondering how many providers choose to keep them in unless it is a certain temp. I have also read posts on other sites where the provider states that they don't take their kids out unless it is at least 20 degrees and in some cases 30 degrees.....
Pepperth 07:44 AM 11-10-2017
Northern climate here as well. Its currently 25 degrees. I take wind into account, but I go out unless the wind chill is bad. We bundle up and don't stay out as long, but the kids and I both need the release that outside brings.
hwichlaz 07:48 AM 11-10-2017
I'm in Northern California so the parents here are snowflakes. But I take the kids out every day unless it's raining hard enough to soak through their clothes.
storybookending 07:52 AM 11-10-2017
My licensing specially states it must be above 20F, windchill included, for children under 2 to be taken outdoors. I think it’s 0 if you have no children under 2 but I am unsure as I never bothered to learn fully as I can never imagine a time when I wouldn’t have at least one under 2. I know school aged in 0F for sure from when I did after school care. Yesterday was our first fully indoors day due to cold of the season. I’m next door in WI.
hwichlaz 08:21 AM 11-10-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I'm in Northern California so the parents here are snowflakes. But I take the kids out every day unless it's raining hard enough to soak through their clothes.
and in the winter it's regularly in the teens here, sometimes 8F. But not much of a wind chill. We do have wet winters though, so that's why I won't take them out if they are going to get soaked to the skin. That's too much with the cold.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 08:37 AM 11-10-2017
Our climate is considered "subartic".
We stop going out when goes below zero. We will hit that sometime this month and it will last until March. The schools here keep kids inside when it's less than -20. Very dry cold though, an minimal wind. But yes, for a couple months we are indoors. If I had all older children (18 months +) I would adjust and maybe do to -10, but we'd still be inside for a couple months even then.
daycarediva 09:21 AM 11-10-2017
It is VERY VERY rarely too cold to go outside here (NY)

I know providers, many of them, do not take kids out unless it's above freezing. That's INSANE, and we would be indoors most of the winter.

Today is was 10* with the wind chill and we were outside for 30 minutes. Will go back out after rest time, too.
Josiegirl 10:12 AM 11-10-2017
If it's above 0 we go out. Maybe not for long and I dress them the warmest that I can. I think the cold bothers my dog's paws and me more than it does the kids.
Quite honestly, I hate the cold and I hate the hot. I like it just right.
But with 2 dogs that won't wait all day to go to the bathroom, some days we have no choice.
DaveA 10:22 AM 11-10-2017
I use to scientific measurement of I step outside. The "no go" temp is "@#&^ it's cold!" A sunny calm day in the 20s is less likely to hit that temperature than a windy cloudy day in the low 30s.
Pestle 10:49 AM 11-10-2017
I'm on the Georgia state line, so it never gets too cold to go outside--the only issue is weather-appropriate clothing. (I don't think it really ever dips below the 20s here unless there's a strong wind.) I have an oversized fleece jacket that I zipped over the baby in the Ergo last year; I wore him and he slept all bundled up while the toddlers played.
HappyEverAfter 01:23 PM 11-10-2017
I had to smile reading these posts. I'm down south and it's a chilly 54degrees today. Because of that, I didn't take the kids outside and I've got a broken hearted toddler as a result. Now, if it weren't for my infants, I'd totally take them outside but the infants can't handle it. Especially not the way they come dressed. Neither has socks or shoes or a jacket. Just onesies and jogger pants. Those babies would freeze! I do imagine though that if I lived up north I'd have more sensible parents when it came to dressing them to go outside. Next revision of my policies will include socks, shoes and coat for winter time outdoor play. I envy those of you who get to play in the snow with your dcks!
Pestle 01:52 PM 11-10-2017
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
I had to smile reading these posts. I'm down south and it's a chilly 54degrees today. Because of that, I didn't take the kids outside and I've got a broken hearted toddler as a result. Now, if it weren't for my infants, I'd totally take them outside but the infants can't handle it. Especially not the way they come dressed. Neither has socks or shoes or a jacket. Just onesies and jogger pants. Those babies would freeze! I do imagine though that if I lived up north I'd have more sensible parents when it came to dressing them to go outside. Next revision of my policies will include socks, shoes and coat for winter time outdoor play. I envy those of you who get to play in the snow with your dcks!
Are you licensed, and is outdoor play required? I'd tell the parents at pick up that they must provide weather-appropriate clothing at the next drop-off. If they don't, figure out whether you want to charge fees to provide your own supplies, refuse drop-off, or tell them to bring the items by X time that morning.
Jupadia 02:26 PM 11-10-2017
In the past u won't take them out when it dips below -10 Celsius with wind chill. I always have at least 1 under 2 who has just started walking or not walking yet so I've taken this into account as well.
This year I have to walk my kid to school so we will be out in the colder days sometimes. My MIL retires from work at end of the month and is willing to do school walks. (They live 5 min driving 15 walking away).
Michael 04:35 PM 11-10-2017
Our temperature suggestions: https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 04:39 PM 11-10-2017
Originally Posted by Michael:
Our temperature suggestions: https://www.daycare.com/news/daycare_and_weather.html
Very informative... though we'd be inside from October to April!
HappyEverAfter 07:05 PM 11-10-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Are you licensed, and is outdoor play required? I'd tell the parents at pick up that they must provide weather-appropriate clothing at the next drop-off. If they don't, figure out whether you want to charge fees to provide your own supplies, refuse drop-off, or tell them to bring the items by X time that morning.
I am legally exempt from licensing so it's up to me if we play outdoors or not. Right now I have 3 infants and one toddler so honestly when we go outside, the babies just sit/lay there while I sing to them or blow bubbles and the toddler is the only one who runs around. But in the spring, two of those infants turn one and they'll finally be running around too. My policies for parents to provide warm clothes will go in effect in January but until then I won't insist the parents dress the babies warmer. Meanwhile, my toddler and I held hands and ran laps throughout the kitchen and living room today as an alternative to playing outside. She loved it.
LysesKids 10:47 AM 11-13-2017
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
I always require socks & jackets even for infants; I also have Sherpa blankets that I wrap babies in (bought when I did care up North - best investment ever lol)
Blackcat31 01:21 PM 11-13-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
Very informative... though we'd be inside from October to April!
How long have you lived there? My best friends son goes to college in Fairbanks and he says the weather there is nicer than MN in the last few years. A bit more snow but warmer over all. http://www.bestplaces.net/compare-ci...age_ak/climate
Lissa Kristine 09:28 AM 11-15-2017
My current boss doesn't allow kids outside if it's under 40 degrees outside (we're in New Jersey). We have one child who isn't allowed out under 60 degrees. Only the 18 month+ crew gets to go outside (along with a 14 and 15 month old who are walking and have shoes/outdoor clothing). None of the babies go outside at ALL. Personally, I'd put jackets and hats on the babies if the weather is cooler and take them on a 10-15 minute walk in a "Bye Bye Baby Buggy" up and down the street to give them a little sunshine and fresh air. I'm all for outside time as long as there's not a severe weather advisory in effect for the area. If it's a little warmer or cooler (but not UNSAFE), I say dress the children appropriately and keep outside time shorter. If the weather is really nice (like 60s-70s), I say bring snack/lunch outdoors and spend the entire day outside (minus naps and bathroom breaks).

I worked at another place where the kids were outside ALL the time. If it was rainy (not storming, obviously), they'd put on rain jackets and boots and splash around in puddles. If there was snow on the ground, they'd bundle up and play in the snow. Even the babies who weren't walking went outside. Sometimes, they crawled around and played in the grass (or they'd bring a bouncy seat or blanket out for a littler baby). Other times, they got to go for stroller rides. It was great.
Leigh 10:18 AM 11-15-2017
Originally Posted by Michael:
I use this along with common sense. Older kids can handle more outdoor time than younger kids. I have 2 kids who can not go outdoors in winter at all (on especially cold days, I have their mom pull into my garage for drop off/pick up because just walking from car to house can cause serious breathing difficulty). A majority of my parents (80%?) don't want their kids outdoors in very cold temps, and are vocal about it. I just go by how I think it feels outside, this chart, and whether I think the kids can handle more than 5 minutes outdoors. On very cold days when kids WANT to go out, they'll go out and play on the deck so that they can easily come back inside.
CeriBear 04:11 AM 11-21-2017
I look at the windchill to make the determination of whether or not to go out in the winter. I’d rather take the kids outside when it’s 30 degrees and no wind than when it’s 40 degrees and the wind blowing 20-30 mph.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 07:38 AM 11-21-2017
How long have you lived there? My best friends son goes to college in Fairbanks and he says the weather there is nicer than MN in the last few years. A bit more snow but warmer over all. http://www.bestplaces.net/compare-ci...age_ak/climate
This will be our third winter. It's a dry cold, with little to no wind, making it pretty great even in low temps. Today we have a predicted high of around 5 degrees and I'm excited because we'll get to go out. Coming from the Midwest I never would've thought I could be excited about the "warmth" of single digit temps.
Blackcat31 07:45 AM 11-21-2017
Originally Posted by TheMisplacedMidwestMom:
This will be our third winter. It's a dry cold, with little to no wind, making it pretty great even in low temps. Today we have a predicted high of around 5 degrees and I'm excited because we'll get to go out. Coming from the Midwest I never would've thought I could be excited about the "warmth" of single digit temps.
right?!?

Alaska is on my bucket list of places to visit for sure! I just love hearing all about it! It's definitely a wonder!

I can't imagine winter in any other sense than the one in which we (general we) live... so it's always fascinating to hear what winter is like in other places.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 09:35 AM 11-21-2017
right?!?

Alaska is on my bucket list of places to visit for sure! I just love hearing all about it! It's definitely a wonder!

I can't imagine winter in any other sense than the one in which we (general we) live... so it's always fascinating to hear what winter is like in other places.
Imagine snow that doesn't pack unless you run a car or something else large over it. It's all powder. No snowmen or even snow balls. We've found that if you try to sledding in untouched snow you just sink. It takes a lot of effort to get a run packed. It's just... different.
AmyKidsCo 02:53 PM 11-22-2017
WI regulations say that if we have children under 2 we can't go outside if temps with wind chill are under 20. I don't know what the temp is if all the children are over 2 because I've never had that. In the summer we can't go out if temps with heat index are over 90.
Pestle 08:28 PM 11-22-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
In the summer we can't go out if temps with heat index are over 90.
Now it's my turn to laugh. Down here, you'd be indoors from 9am onward basically June-September.
Pestle 08:29 PM 11-22-2017
Originally Posted by Lissa Kristine:
We have one child who isn't allowed out under 60 degrees.
Medical reason?
CeriBear 05:01 AM 11-24-2017
I love the cold. As long as it’s not snowy or icy I love to go outside and take a walk or a jog— even if it is 20 degrees out. I just dress appropriately for the temperature by wearing a coat, gloves or mittens, scarf, ear muffs.
It’s a different story when it comes to the kids. Our director does not like us to go out when the windchill dips much below 32 degrees and I have to go along with her rules.
Tags:outside play winter, temperature
Reply Up