Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hiring Substitutes
neharris 11:12 AM 06-24-2020
Hello,

I am currently in the process of opening my own family child care in my home. My biggest concern right now is finding a sub for days when I am sick or want to take a vacation. Do most people who have a family childcare hire subs or ask family members to help? If you have hired a sub how did you find them and what job description do you give them?

Thanks!
Michael 02:55 PM 06-24-2020
Welcome to the forum. Here are some more threads on substitutes for your daycare: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=substitute
CountryRoads 03:04 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by neharris:
Hello,

I am currently in the process of opening my own family child care in my home. My biggest concern right now is finding a sub for days when I am sick or want to take a vacation. Do most people who have a family childcare hire subs or ask family members to help? If you have hired a sub how did you find them and what job description do you give them?

Thanks!
I don't have a sub. My MIL has helped out before when it's a last minute appointment in town (I live in a rural area and we all typically have to go out of town for appointments). I sometimes think about finding one, but I don't think it's worth it for me. I don't mean to sound negative here, but it's not worth the hassle and paperwork to deal with (for me) for families who probably wouldn't appreciate it anyway.

I have a special section in my handbook that talks about back-up care. That I have things come up, and it is their responsibility to have back-up care and is strongly recommended.
Cat Herder 05:09 AM 06-26-2020
I don't have a sub. I don't want others wandering in my home and I certainly don't want to be legally liable for their actions in my absence.

My husband will watch the daycare when I run to the doctor for routine visits. I schedule them at naptime, after I have everyone asleep. If it will take longer, I simply take a day off and close.

It is a parental responsibility to have backup care.
Unregistered 11:17 PM 06-28-2020
No backups for me. I dont want something going wrong or someone in my home-unless it is a friend who is also a childcare provider.

Family can't unless they are qualified In my state.

My state has something called a substitute pool-not 100% sure what that is but I think it is funded to pay the sub and it is not from the provider's pocket.

Also in my handbook to find backup if I call out.

And I only charge 50% admin fee if out. I won't call out much-rarely get sick, rarely go to the dr, and always try to do it around hours. I have "sessions"Sept-June so I have time between to do those things, or only cut 1 session.
Meeko 06:39 AM 06-30-2020
Parents are responsible to find their own back up care if I am closed.
Tags:assistant - job description, family child care, help me, helper instructions, parent - its a verb, parental responsibility, substitute
Reply Up