Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Trouble Learning ABC's
Pepperth 02:54 AM 01-14-2020
I have a little guy in my room who is 5.5 years old. He will start kindergarten next year. Bright as can be. Makes the most elaborate block structures. Also, a valuble and good friend to everybody in the room. I mention all this to say that he is not universally delayed. Since September, my aide and I have been trying to teach him his ABC's using a variety of methods and in many fun ways. The rest of the class has basically learned them all by now. Yesterday I checked his alphbetic knowledge he recognized 8 uppercase letters and no lowercase letters. On the plus side, this is double from what he knew in November. The interesting part to me was that he mentioned knowing a couple of the letters in his name by counting to get there. I'm not sure what to make of this. I've recommeneded he see an eye doctor because when sorting colors, he puts the blues and purples together. What else should I do or try?
daycarediva 03:41 AM 01-14-2020
Could be dyslexia/some form of that. Does he recognize numbers? Shapes?

I would recommend an eval before he starts K.
Pepperth 10:11 AM 01-14-2020
Recognizes some shapes and most numbers.
Ariana 11:01 AM 01-14-2020
Do you do all letters together or group them together and then move to the next group when he knows them? Maybe grouping letters would help. So one week do abc...the move to def etc. Also writing letters if he is a visual learner might help.

It sounds like he is trying to memorize them by the number they are in the alphabetic sequence.
Pepperth 10:58 AM 02-15-2020
I'm having a conference with his mom next week. His mom is concerned about his behaviors at home and has been emailing me, so I thought it would be a good time to just touch base in general. His behavior at school is typical of a five year old on the more energetic side. How should I bring up his difficulty recalling the alphabet?
Cat Herder 11:27 AM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
I'm having a conference with his mom next week. His mom is concerned about his behaviors at home and has been emailing me, so I thought it would be a good time to just touch base in general. His behavior at school is typical of a five year old on the more energetic side. How should I bring up his difficulty recalling the alphabet?
You could go to your local schools' website and print off their kindergarten readiness checklist. You could also send her home with an ASQ to fill out, 60 months is as high as mine go, but it would be a great start. Here are some sample copies of kindergarten readiness forms:
https://www.calstatela.edu/sites/def...schecklist.pdf

or

https://www.aft.org/sites/default/fi...lreadiness.pdf
Tags:abc's, assessment checklist - kindergarten, developmentally delayed, kindergarten readiness assessment, learning disability, milestones - abc’s, phonemic awareness
Reply Up