Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just saying hi
SimpleMom 11:32 AM 07-24-2009
Wow, this has been an exhausting week--but in a good way! I had two new clients start up this week. They are a great family and wonderful kids (just like I prayed about). I still have one two openings left to fill, but I am going to wait a few months in order to get into a routine again.

I had to drop my rates. No one was willing to pay the $85.00/week and I couldn't afford not to drop them. I moved it to a starting rate of $75.00 for three days. I did however change a few things. I have parents bring their own sheets, blankets, A.M. snacks, cups/bottles for the younger ones, etc.

I am still covering the curricula, but I may use the grant monies for that this year (well, next year). That's if my basement set-up is going alright. I need some new outdoor climbing equipment really badly. Some of them are getting broken.

So, it's great to fill up the openings and GREAT to get off my feet for a bit
melissa ann 05:06 PM 07-27-2009
When I started advertising last year for childcare, I had $100/week fulltime. that included breakfast, lunch, 2 snacks, crafts and learning activities. I sat empty for 5 months. I dropped it to $85/week fulltime. I did get 2 families. One left after about 8 months because of dad being laid off. Now, with the family I have, I now have my limit. Mom had a baby. I just raised by rates, effective in aug, to $90/wk full time. I just explained in a newsletter that due to the rising costs of food, supplies, etc that I had to make a tough decison on rasing my rates. I just don't think parents realize how much our expenses really are.
mac60 02:55 AM 07-28-2009
You are right, parents have no idea that operating a daycare has expenses involved. Sorry you had to drop your rates. Parents put the provider last on their list for important bills to pay. I think sometimes we rate right down there with the water and sewage bill.

It has been a crappy summer here. Our weather has not exactly been what we call summer weather, and now school starts in 5 weeks. YUCK! Where did summer go. We have only played in water 2 or 3 times so far, we actually had the fireplace on one day in June, and that is crazy for here. I hope fall last a long time!
seashell 08:29 AM 07-28-2009
Originally Posted by littlesunshines:
Wow, this has been an exhausting week--but in a good way! I had two new clients start up this week. They are a great family and wonderful kids (just like I prayed about). I still have one two openings left to fill, but I am going to wait a few months in order to get into a routine again.

I had to drop my rates. No one was willing to pay the $85.00/week and I couldn't afford not to drop them. I moved it to a starting rate of $75.00 for three days. I did however change a few things. I have parents bring their own sheets, blankets, A.M. snacks, cups/bottles for the younger ones, etc.

I am still covering the curricula, but I may use the grant monies for that this year (well, next year). That's if my basement set-up is going alright. I need some new outdoor climbing equipment really badly. Some of them are getting broken.

So, it's great to fill up the openings and GREAT to get off my feet for a bit

Congrats on filling the spots! I have a full time spot I am looking to fill, but no phone calls. Usually late August I get a ton of calls looking for the fall. A far as rates, Im one of the cheepest in my town at $160 per week. It's amazing the difference in the market from state to state. There is a home provider here in town who charges $250 for a full time spot. OMG! I would be ashamed of myself, no matter how good the program was.
SimpleMom 10:51 AM 07-29-2009
Originally Posted by seashell:
Congrats on filling the spots! I have a full time spot I am looking to fill, but no phone calls. Usually late August I get a ton of calls looking for the fall.
Is that usually for Ft in general or both Ft/Pt all year (for calls)? I haven't advertised in the Fall as of yet. My mom did daycare and said she usually recieved FT calls in the Fall as well.
seashell 11:19 AM 07-29-2009
Originally Posted by littlesunshines:
Is that usually for Ft in general or both Ft/Pt all year (for calls)? I haven't advertised in the Fall as of yet. My mom did daycare and said she usually recieved FT calls in the Fall as well.

For both actually, especially last minute, I'm starting a new job in the fall and forgot to look for daycare calls!
Reply Up