Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When is it time?
Unregistered 04:32 PM 08-25-2009
When is it time for a child to learn to wipe their bottoms themselves? Is it a daycare providers responsibility to keep doing it until the parents decide to teach them, is there a certain age we should stop doing it for them? I have a child who is 4 1/2 and he doesn't do it, I know his parents do everything for him, he can't even get his pants on himself, I finally at the beginning of summer told him he had learn how to put his swimming trunks on himself or he couldn't play in the sprinkler, he learned and now can do it but I feel that at 4 1/2 he should be able to use the bathroom himself, just curious how everyone handles it. thanks
mac60 06:18 PM 08-25-2009
Good question. I would start giving him the toilet paper and have him do it himself, then check to make sure he got it off. gross I know. By 4 1/2 he should be doing it on his own, in my opinion. here the parents are shipping them off to kindergarten as soon as they turn 5. My theory is if they are old enough for school they should be wiping their own butt.
mrs.meg 04:53 AM 08-26-2009
I agree that he is old enough. I have dealt with this more than once. At age 4 I do exactly that, I give them the TP and have them wipe first and then I make sure they are clean. I believe the mom of the boys I watch would go to college and wipe their butts if they wanted her to.
Unregistered 05:27 AM 08-26-2009
I started teaching my dd how to wipe as soon as she started potty training. She is 3 1/2 now and wipes herself great. Not that I don't need to watch her still and make sure she doesn't use too much paper, clog the toilet, etc.
tymaboy 06:19 AM 08-26-2009
I had one who was 3 & wiping her own butt- she didnt do the greatest job but was doing it herself. At that age I agree should be doing it himself. What will he do when he gets to Kindy?
seashell 06:56 AM 08-26-2009
I agree, he should have been wiping along time ago. Instead of using TP, how about giving him a baby wipe? They seem to clean better than TP. Can you imagine the kindy teacher's face when she hears she needs to wipe his butt? Ummmm, can you say NO???
Reply Up