Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dad Tells Me He Went Home To Change First....
Sprouts 06:31 PM 02-01-2012
I have this wonderful family with the best baby u could imagine, but one thing that ticks me is that dad comes at different times and then yesterday he tells me went home first to change his clothes before he picked up his baby so it wouldn't be too much for him! Have u ever heard of putting baby in the crib and then chnaging? From the beginning their contract states pick up time at 6 but I know he can pick up before then and probably lingers around.....would any of u address this and how? I def don't want to loose the family, they are great and most of my income comes from them but I also don't want to feel taken advantage of as well....
saved4always 06:35 PM 02-01-2012
If he comes by 6 p.m. and that is what time the contract says he has to pick up by, it really doesn't matter what he is doing as long as he is there on time. I don't think I would say anything if that is one of my parents. Would it annoy me? Sure would! But I would probably not say anything if he is within the times on the contract he signed. I would probably vent to my friends about it though.
sharlan 06:37 PM 02-01-2012
I wouldn't say anything.

IMHO, as long as they pick up on time, I don't care where they go or what they do.
juliebug 06:40 PM 02-01-2012
if my family's are on time picking up i am fine with what they do! now if he was late i would say something.
Beach Baby 06:42 PM 02-01-2012
If he picked up on time, then I don't see any issue. I have a dcd who does this as well. He texts me to let me know he's on his way home, but he has to unload his truck, take a shower, and then he will be over to pick them up. He is always on time though, so I don't think it's a big deal.
Nellie 06:52 PM 02-01-2012
I had a mother that on most nights would stop home and shower before picking up her child. Not my buisness as long as she is on time. Just a tid bit of info: one day her sister came to pick up because she was going to be late. Her sister told me that on weekends she often calls her up and asks her to come over so that she can shower. This was going on when the child was 12 to 17 months old. One day the sister came to find the child sleeping. She told her that she was going home sense DCB was sleeping. She begged her to stay, because she didn't like to leave the child alone while he was sleeping.
godiva83 06:53 PM 02-01-2012
I agree if he's on time, you really don't have a place to say anything. However 1 minute late I would lol. It noodles my mind sometimes how some parents can't seem to multi- task. I have a DCD who always goes home, naps, changes and plays Xbox he gets off at 3:30 and picks DD up at 5:30
BUT they pay so use it how you will. I don't get it, but it is what it is.
PitterPatter 07:05 PM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
I have this wonderful family with the best baby u could imagine, but one thing that ticks me is that dad comes at different times and then yesterday he tells me went home first to change his clothes before he picked up his baby so it wouldn't be too much for him! Have u ever heard of putting baby in the crib and then chnaging? From the beginning their contract states pick up time at 6 but I know he can pick up before then and probably lingers around.....would any of u address this and how? I def don't want to loose the family, they are great and most of my income comes from them but I also don't want to feel taken advantage of as well....
This happens a lot here! I wouldn't address it. I see your point but nothing you can do really as long as he is within his contracted time unless your contract says something else. It doesn't matter what they are doing unless they are subsidy here. Subsidy are not permitted to wander. They have to pick up right after work or school. Private pay can do as they please. Sad some people avoid getting the kids until last minute for their daily ME time. My me time was we time spent with my child. I had rest when he was asleep. I have a parent that takes a few days off every month, and sometimes only works 1/2 the day. She will drop DCB off then go back home to go to sleep or goes and has her hair done, nails etc. I'm a tad jealous she can do that and I never can but this is the profession I chose.
MamaBear 07:47 PM 02-01-2012
I had a dad that used to do this too and it bugged me as well. I might be open till 5pm but it didn't mean that they could leave their child here till the last minute if he didn't need to. He would get off work at noon and go home to "relax" and pick up last second every day. He sure did look rested every day!
Sprouts 09:36 PM 02-01-2012
Okay you are all right, lol thank you for the input. I will just suck it up and smile
Cat Herder 04:31 AM 02-02-2012
I guess I am the opposite...

I have sent parents home to shower before picking up an infant before..

One Mom had obvious blood on her scrubs... Umm, no....not touching this baby. She was thankful...had completely forgotten.

Is it possible DCD was working with metals, chemicals or insulation that day?
Mom&Provider 04:34 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
Okay you are all right, lol thank you for the input. I will just suck it up and smile
That's what I do!

I am also open from X to X and don't have specific hours in my contract for each family. I can understand your frustration tho, I get that way too when this type of thing happens! I have two families that live very close to my home and do this fairly often...or Mom/Dad will pick up right at closing and say to their child 'oh...Daddy/Mommy is home already, so lets go!' - these parents would have driven past my home to get to theirs!? I think it's a combination of a few things, main ones being 1) they want to make their lives easier 2) they want their money used up in full!
countrymom 06:03 AM 02-02-2012
thats why I now have parents contract their work hours. I had a mom who would go home cook meals, shower and play on the computer and then forget to come and get him. He was the last kid here all the time till 530pm and he was so sad all the time because everyone went home and he knew that his parents were home.

If you can, how about closing earlier, 6pm is late. I tell people that I close at 5pm but I can accommadate them, like if they have a late shift, stuck in traffic, but to come home and do nothing, not happening here. I find that this way I have respect from parents and I don't have to put up with their nonsense about going to the store.

and btw, that would drive me crazy everyday. Doesn't matter that they are paying for the spot, come and pick your kid up.
Breezy 08:02 AM 02-02-2012
If our LO was in daycare and my DH was the one to do pick ups he would do the same. He works with hydrolic fluid and various other yucky things all day. His face, hands, arms are usually black by the time he gets home and he goes right into the shower. No way is he touching DS!! (He's an A-10 crew chief in the Air Force)
Unregistered 08:19 AM 02-02-2012
I agree that this does irritate me when parents do things like that. It's like the parent that is off work for the day and still brings the child so they can clean their house or something. I'd rather not even know! How in the world do they think that we get things done with our own PLUS day care kids!

I worked full time out of the home before opening my day care when my child was 2. I NEVER took them to daycare when I was off. I WANTED to spend time with them! I just think parents are lazy and like the idea of having kids, but only when convenient for them.

Although it iritates me, I woudln't say anything since they did pick up on time!
Nellie 08:52 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:

One Mom had obvious blood on her scrubs... Umm, no....not touching this baby. She was thankful...had completely forgotten.

Very true. I never said anything to my mom. She was a sugical tech to a doctor that removed skin cancer. I don't know if it was blood, but many times she would comment that she just had to get the stink off of her. Even when I was only a nursing assistant the first thing I did was shower when I got home. I probable was a little rough in my judging her. If my husband had to pick up our kids from daycare and he had the time he might come home and shower. Many days he has to strip outside he still leaves a trail of dirt behind him. Our childrens clothes would be recked from him having to carry them to the truck.
cheerfuldom 09:12 AM 02-02-2012
if it bothers you, you should go to contracted hours. If you have your hours say 7-5, almost every parent will leave their kid till 5 no matter the work schedule.
countrymom 11:05 AM 02-02-2012
remember, I live in ontario, we don't have mmk so I need something else.

Right now i use a big calendar and write everyones names on it, but I want to do it on a computer, like a sheet and then at the end of the year just hand them a sheet with all the days that they were here on, instead of writing out individual sheets, can anyone help me. I'm not that computer savy if you have an example that would the best.
wdmmom 11:15 AM 02-02-2012
What time is DCD off work? How long is travel time? I ask for parents work schedule before signing them up. I then add up to 30 minutes for travel time each way. If he is off at 5pm and not picking up until 6pm, I would suggest they change their contracted hours.
greenhouse 11:22 AM 02-02-2012
I don't mind small errands after work as long as pick-up is before I close. Being a parent of a toddler, I know it goes faster solo. However, when my son was in daycare I always picked him up ASAP straight from work, I missed him so much.
Heidi 11:48 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by Catherder:

Me too!

I have a dad that occasionally gets off at 1. That's during nap time, and even though I could sneak in and get junior, I tell him "go home, and have some time to yourself" They have 4 kids, one still a toddler, and I remember just wanting to be ALONE. for an hour.....please......
Crazy8 11:52 AM 02-02-2012
I wouldn't even think of saying anything. The only thing that really bugs me is when they went home to shower or to the gym after work or whatever and they are LATE in picking up!!!
Yes, there are many parents who I wish would WANT to spend more time with their children and others who do spend good quality time with their kids but also sometimes need that extra half hour to do something - but its not my place to say as long as they are within their contracted hours so I keep my nose out of it!!

Now I have a parent who I WISH would go home and change first - he ruined my brand new holiday rug by the front door by coming in with his muddy boots and has gotten down on the floor in my playroom with dirt caked on his pants!!!
Tags:pick up - conversations, pick up issues
Reply Up