Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Downs Syndrome Runner
imalp 11:23 AM 06-23-2018
Hello,
I just got put into the pre-k classroom and we have a 5 yr old downs syndrome child.I don't have any experience with downs syndrome children.He is constantly running out from the classroom or running away from the group.
How can we stop this behavior?
hwichlaz 11:07 AM 06-24-2018
I don’t think that eloping is a Down’s issue per say, like it is with autism. How would you handle it with another child? Is he a generally cooperative kid? Can you hold his hand when running away is dangerous, and do your best to position yourself to cut him off the rest of the time?
imalp 10:26 PM 06-24-2018
The other kids will stay with the group.I think the problem is that once he starts to run and we chase after him the other other kids are laughing so he thinks its funny/a game.
Would it be appropriate when we are in the gym or on the playground to allow him to run and then explain that we are in class that its not running time? Would he understand?
We do try to hold his hand during transitions but if we have to let go he's off and running.
Even in the classroom ,if one of the kids leaves the door open he will escape.
storybookending 04:10 AM 06-25-2018
Originally Posted by imalp:
Would it be appropriate when we are in the gym or on the playground to allow him to run and then explain that we are in class that its not running time? Would he understand?
I think it is important to treat the child the same in terms of stating the rules for safety but as far as understanding I think this would depend on the specific child and their functionality. Example I have a cousin that is diagnosed with downs and she will be able to get her license and drive a car next year while a girl that I went to high school with that have downs is physically 29 but mentally stuck at about an 8 or 9.

I personally would ad some extra safety measures to the classroom to keep the child with the group. Put childproof locks on the doors and enlist another child the “job” of making sure the door is shut while also keeping a closer eye on it yourself. Is the child eligible for an aid?
Tags:down syndrome, runner
Reply Up