Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feel Like I Should Just Quit
SilverSabre25 02:16 PM 05-31-2012
I'm obviously not cut out to care for any kids besides my own. Apparently I have no clue what's to be expected at any given age and I should just quit. Forget about this.

And apparently my ongoing surprise and concern about a three year old who can talk perfectly well but can. Not. Answer. Questions. Is wrong and misplaced, because,unbeknownst to me, it's normal for a three year old to freeze and be unable to give an accurate answer to even the simplest of questions.

So i'm apparently supposed to just not ask her any, according to one person. I don't see how that's supposed to help her learn but whatever. I ask things no differently than I ask anyone, even my one year old, but apparently i'm wrong.

I don't know what to do to help my dcg, and apparently have no irl help. And note, feel completely worthless and stupid.
dave4him 02:36 PM 05-31-2012
Dont be so hard on yourself. I know the feeling, even with just watching my own kids.
Kaddidle Care 02:45 PM 05-31-2012
It's not you - the parents have Head-In-The-Sand-Itis. All you can do is bring up your concerns - try again in 6 months if the child hasn't improved.

If you are that frustrated with the parents and child then you know what you need to do.
SilverSabre25 02:58 PM 05-31-2012
Thanks, Dave and Kadiddle.

it's not the parents and child, frustrating and upsetting me, it's my sister . She was over and witnessed one of these baffling exchanges and we got to talking about it, and out she comes with this remark about maybe needing to just not ask the kid questions--and my sister is someone whose opinion I generally respect very highly about child related things so it threw me through a loop.
Kaddidle Care 03:03 PM 05-31-2012
Remember, she's not with this child day in and day out. Go with your gut.
SilverSabre25 03:07 PM 05-31-2012
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Remember, she's not with this child day in and day out. Go with your gut.
very true--I just can't figure out what might be up with this! While it doesn't seem like a red flag, pecisely, or like something an evaluator would catch, her inability to answer questions accurately seems very odd for her age.
dave4him 03:31 PM 05-31-2012
There are days when i realize im probably blessed to have my sisters and family living so far away, they tend to like asserting their own ideas about everything in the way i run my own house.
Blackcat31 03:35 PM 05-31-2012
Silver.......

((((((HUGS)))))))

You are never alone! ...take a deep breath and relax. You are a VERY caring and loving provider. Do not let the opinion of one person who has not walked in your shoes make you feel that badly....even if they are related to you!
AmyLeigh 03:43 PM 05-31-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Thanks, Dave and Kadiddle.

it's not the parents and child, frustrating and upsetting me, it's my sister . She was over and witnessed one of these baffling exchanges and we got to talking about it, and out she comes with this remark about maybe needing to just not ask the kid questions--and my sister is someone whose opinion I generally respect very highly about child related things so it threw me through a loop.
Was she suggesting it in order for you to reduce your frustration?
Tags:feel like quitting, know it all, overwhelmed
Reply Up