Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Michigan Licensing
mkbartzen 06:54 AM 11-20-2012
I am a licensed care provider in Michigan. My license will be up for renewal in March. I now have four children of my own (ages 5 and under when my license expires), and care for two children from the same family. I can't seem to find where it says who needs to be licensed on the Michigan website. I am wondering if it is really required for me to go through all that and renew, etc when I only watch our friend's two kids. It just seems hard to justify going through all of this for the $200 a week I get paid...

I have looked thorough my licensing handbook, and have perused the website, but can't seem to find where it stipulates just exactly who needs to be licensed by our (typically far reaching) government.

Anybody out there know this?

Thanks!
Unregistered 07:32 AM 11-20-2012
Yes,anyone caring for children(in thier home) that are unrelated to them must be licensed. The only way around it is to do care at the child's home,otherwise it's illegal.
Francine 07:46 AM 11-20-2012
If I understand it right you have to be licensed unless you are caring for children that are related to you. That being said, if I had four kids of my own and could only care for two others I'm not sure what I would do.
allsmiles 08:06 AM 11-20-2012
aww that does seem like a lot of regulation to just keep 2 children.. in texas we have the option of being LISTED and you can keep up to 3 non related children without becoming licensed..
mkbartzen 08:27 AM 11-20-2012
Well, it sounds like I need to renew. It just makes me feel like the atmosphere for my kids is more clinical than it needs to be not to mention the added stress of the idea that I am subject to spot checks, etc. I haven't had one, but the anxiety this causes me about whether or not there's clutter, if I'm up to date on paperwork, etc- basically to raise my own kids and have a couple more here four days a week.

Side note-- I adhere to safe sleep guidelines for the friend's kids because I have to, but nowhere in the licensing guidelines does it stipulate for related children in care... My own kids aren't required to have nothing in the beds with them, right? I hope do have the liberties to choose with my own.
Childminder 08:42 AM 11-20-2012
Unlicensed Providers

Unlicensed Child Care Provider are adults, age 18 or older, who are enrolled to provide child care for up to four children at a time (or six children, if all children are siblings or living at the same address). Unlicensed providers can provide care in their own home or the child's home if they are related by blood, marriage or adoption as a:
Grandparent/Great-grandparent.
Aunt/Great aunt.
Uncle/Great uncle.
Sibling.
Unlicensed Child Care Providers who are not related to the child can only provide care in the child's home.

You must meet requirements and apply to become an unlicensed provider in order to receive assistance payments for a child that you care for.
lovemykidstoo 09:09 AM 11-20-2012
I live in Michigan too. This is some info I found for you on the DHS site.

Registration is the process the Department of Human Services (DHS), Bureau of Children and Adult Licensing (BCAL) uses to regulate family child care homes for the care of 1-6 unrelated children. The process requires that family child care home providers certify to DHS that they and their home are in compliance with the rules for family child care homes.

Note: It is illegal in the State of Michigan to care for unrelated children in your home without being licensed or registered by the Department of Human Services.

I know that when my consultant came out, she said that she didn't care what I did with respect to my own children. Not sure about related children other than your own. I think that even though they are related, they are treated like any other daycare child. Just your own children are different.

this is the link to the site that I got the info from.

http://www.michigan.gov/dhs/0,4562,7...2366--,00.html
melilley 10:51 AM 11-20-2012
I also live in MI. In your original packet that you received from BCAL, there should be a phone number to the licensing unit that you can reach if you have any questions about licensing. I have called them several times and they have answered any question that I have had! If you can't find the packet, message me and I can give you the number.
Reply Up