Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Paying For Slots vs. Days
Scout 06:53 AM 01-04-2013
I see now why so many of you charge when you are open whether the child is here or not! I am so incredibly tired of dcf. I still have not ironed out my contract yet, but, am thinking of doing the whole paying for a slot...they are not here more than they are & only pay when here. I know, I should've had a contract but, this is my first dcf so lesson learned!! I thought it was temporary so I didn't do anything about a contract right away. They also don't call until the last minute when he is not coming & usually I have to question it first! Please do not cyber smack me! I have learned....I have other people interested in this slot so today I will tell them that they will be signing a contract & paying if I am open if they want to stay. Backbone, here I come! And oh yea, he is not here today!
Country Kids 06:59 AM 01-04-2013
Believe me this is a learning process! I have done it almost 18 years and still learn something new every year. I think I ahd done childcare for several years before I did the pay by the slot vs. day thing. What did it take-it took having several college students who had long breaks between terms and teachers with lots of time off for me to see that I was loosing way to much money.

I just went recently in the past year to a flat rate and that has worked so well also. Its amazing to me how much childcare has also changed in the last 17+ years.
daycarediva 07:01 AM 01-04-2013
That is a mistake I made with my first dcf too! Lesson learned, don't make that mistake again!

Everything in this bus is a learning experience!
Blackcat31 07:03 AM 01-04-2013
Having people "tell" you these little tidbits or pieces of advice, gives you knowledge.

Experiencing these situations first hand gives you wisdom!
Scout 07:32 AM 01-04-2013
This has also made me make them earn their free days~they can not use them until after 90 days!
Scout 07:34 AM 01-04-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Believe me this is a learning process! I have done it almost 18 years and still learn something new every year. I think I ahd done childcare for several years before I did the pay by the slot vs. day thing. What did it take-it took having several college students who had long breaks between terms and teachers with lots of time off for me to see that I was loosing way to much money.

I just went recently in the past year to a flat rate and that has worked so well also. Its amazing to me how much childcare has also changed in the last 17+ years.
Can I ask what you mean by a flat rate?
MissAnn 07:36 AM 01-04-2013
Do it! I made that mistake at first too. I realized I could not stay in business and provide the quality I wanted and buy the materials I needed without a dependable income. Parents still question it from time to time, but I stand firm. I made this decision after a mom who I was trying to help my only charging $15 per day argued with me. I had let parents not pay for one day because I had closed one day with little notice. This mom shorted me a day even though the day in question was not her son's scheduled day! I just looked at her straight in the face and told her that I was making a new contract immediately and she would need to pay just like all the other parents including days she did not bring her son. She simply said....that's fine!
lovemykidstoo 08:44 AM 01-04-2013
The good news is that you figured it out that you need to change the family. I didn't do that during my early years either. I gave them so many days per year that they could not send their child and not pay. That was alot of money I gave up by giving the average family 6 days a year for no pay times 8 different families. Now they get no free days. They pay the same every week no matter what the reason is that their child doesn't come. The only time they don't pay is if I take a vacation day.
melilley 09:15 AM 01-04-2013
I am new to doing fcc too, I'm opening in the next couple of weeks and have been writing, changing, going over, writing, changing, etc.. my contract for months now! The one thing that I think I realized the most is to make people pay before you provide care! I just want to sat that people are great on this forum, if you have a question or even need help wording things for your contract, just ask! Someone always answers and gives good advice! Also, I have learned a great deal of what to do and not to do by just reading posts. You can also see different perspectives on things and tailor it to what you personally want for your dc!
Scout 11:17 AM 01-04-2013
mom says she completely understands & will discuss it with dh!!

I am still giving free days cus I know kids do get sick & I would rather they not be here but, now they have to wait 90 days to use em!! And they can't use more than 3 for vacation without 8 weeks written notice. And they can't use them for holidays unless the child is here the rest of the week...it'll keep changing but, at least it is getting tweaked as I go!
Reply Up