Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diapers
Core12 08:11 AM 12-08-2017
Please help!!!
I have a baby daycare 0-2 years old and watch 6 babies. Each week I request a Package of diapers from the parents. All of the parents comply except one. She packs four in his diaper bag on Most days but sometimes she forgets all together. It irritates me bc I feel like she is oppositional defiant. I feel like she is afraid that one of her diapers will be used for another child....when actually I have to sometimes borrow a diaper from another for her child
I have prayed to see her differently but nothing has changed yet. I really can’t stand her. She lingers around for up to 45 mind at pick up just to spy on my interactions with the other children and I have watched her kid now for 8 months. Last week she said, “I would love to come by sometime and just sit for a day”...I just ignored her. Maybe somewhere on the internet it says that daycares should be ok with that...but I’m not...bc this is my home and she judges Everything I do.
She only allows me to feed her son purée 6 month baby food that she brings bc she is afraid he will choke (he is 11 months).
Yesterday at pickup she mentioned that the other children were hyper and said, “you must have had some sugar”. She thinks she is being slick, but she was trying to find out if I fed them nutritious snacks.
She didn’t vaccinate her kid either and I believe she couldn’t find another reputable daycare who would tolerate that which is why she is still here.
I also think she has a recording device in the diaper bag. Bc sometimes I deliberately make comments right by the bag about her (Iesha needs to take her son to the dr for pink eye) and she will respond the next time I see her about it. Her husband is a computer guru and I know this is quite possible. I watch these babies with my mom and am going to put all of them into the play room tonight at pick up...then when a parent comes my mom can just come in and get one and that should speed things up with ppl leaving earlier.
Cat Herder 08:22 AM 12-08-2017
First, I am now humming tunes from ABC, so thanks for that.

Second, does she have a copy of your handbook and policies?
happymom 08:24 AM 12-08-2017
Our daycare puts initials on every diaper and the diapers are placed in that child's cubby.

Don't accept him into care if you don't have enough diapers for the day.

ELIMINATE DIAPER BAGS. Change your daycare so you do not allow diaper bags. A child's belongings can stay in his cubby and should not be brought back and forth. If he soils an extra pair of clothes, send it home and expect it to be replaced the next day. Diaper bags need to be left in the car, and not in your home.

Mom should have access to her son's cubby so she can see what is needed and be responsible for always keeping it stocked. Make sure she knows this, and if something is running low, just give a friendly heads up.
Baby Beluga 08:55 AM 12-08-2017
I agree, no diaper bags. It just isn't sanitary to bring them back and forth. Plus I don't want to have to search each bag for dangerous items (I worked at a center once and the Pre-K students had backpacks to take to/from school. One child had weed in his backpack I don't want that happening on my watch)

You can either:

1) Not accept into care without enough diapers.

2) Increase tuition and provide diapers yourself. Honestly, at this point, this is probably what I would do. Send out a letter: "Dear Parent as of date your new tuition rate will be $ - with this increase I will now be purchasing and providing diapers for DCK."
Blackcat31 10:55 AM 12-08-2017
Originally Posted by Core12:
Please help!!!
I have a baby daycare 0-2 years old and watch 6 babies. Each week I request a Package of diapers from the parents. All of the parents comply except one. She packs four in his diaper bag on Most days but sometimes she forgets all together. It irritates me bc I feel like she is oppositional defiant. I feel like she is afraid that one of her diapers will be used for another child....when actually I have to sometimes borrow a diaper from another for her child
I have prayed to see her differently but nothing has changed yet. I really can’t stand her. She lingers around for up to 45 mind at pick up just to spy on my interactions with the other children and I have watched her kid now for 8 months. Last week she said, “I would love to come by sometime and just sit for a day”...I just ignored her. Maybe somewhere on the internet it says that daycares should be ok with that...but I’m not...bc this is my home and she judges Everything I do.
She only allows me to feed her son purée 6 month baby food that she brings bc she is afraid he will choke (he is 11 months).
Yesterday at pickup she mentioned that the other children were hyper and said, “you must have had some sugar”. She thinks she is being slick, but she was trying to find out if I fed them nutritious snacks.
She didn’t vaccinate her kid either and I believe she couldn’t find another reputable daycare who would tolerate that which is why she is still here.
I also think she has a recording device in the diaper bag. Bc sometimes I deliberately make comments right by the bag about her (Iesha needs to take her son to the dr for pink eye) and she will respond the next time I see her about it. Her husband is a computer guru and I know this is quite possible. I watch these babies with my mom and am going to put all of them into the play room tonight at pick up...then when a parent comes my mom can just come in and get one and that should speed things up with ppl leaving earlier.
I'd replace.

This is way too much unecessary-ness for one child/parent.

Resentment and contempt are a provider's worst enemy.
When they show up, it's time to part ways with the root.
flying_babyb 04:16 PM 12-08-2017
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
. Plus I don't want to have to search each bag for dangerous items (I worked at a center once and the Pre-K students had backpacks to take to/from school. One child had weed in his backpack I don't want that happening on my watch)

"
found a cigarette lighter in a diaper bag of one of my 2 year olds yesterday, even better? It was one of the older ones without the safety lock and the parent hung it on there childs hook (in reach of all the other kids).
Meeko 12:05 PM 12-09-2017
I have a strict "no diaper bag" rule. The kids all have a cubby. In that cubby goes a change of clothing.

I have shelves above my changing table and when each child gets down to about 6 diapers, the parents are expected to bring a whole pack to refill the shelf.

On the first of each month, all parents bring a pack of wipes. I work my way through them during the month, so I only have one container on the changing table at a time.

In the past, I have found lighters, condoms, medications, used tissues, small change, a small knife and more in diaper bags. I refuse to have to search bags for restricted items, so it's no bags here at all. I am honest with the parents and tell them exactly why. It's a safety concern.

Oh...and no diapers or not enough diapers means no care for the day and no refunds.
Pestle 12:47 PM 12-09-2017
I learned from this forum that no diaper bags is standard policy. I learned that the day I reached into a diaper bag and came out with a bloody used tampon applicator in my hand.

I raised my rates by $3/day and now I provide my own diapers and wipes. I agree that getting rid of this family is necessary for your sanity. Avoiding a repeat in the future by switching to providing your own diapers is optional.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 01:13 PM 12-09-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:

I raised my rates by $3/day and now I provide my own diapers and wipes. I agree that getting rid of this family is necessary for your sanity. Avoiding a repeat in the future by switching to providing your own diapers is optional.
I did this as well. Upped rates slightly and provide diapers and wipes. I am notorious for forgetting reminders to parents for mundane things like diapers. So I have lovesd this option. And I come ahead in the money part, while the parents view it as a perk.
storybookending 05:44 PM 12-09-2017
It honestly amazes me that so many parents want to be bringing a bag back and forth. To me it just seems like another responsibility that (at least my current parents) love that they don’t have to worry about it. I occasionally take on one of my nieces when her daycare is closed. She’s the only one I tolerate a diaper bag from and only because of the fact that she only attends on average one day every 6-8 weeks or so. Mom brings in the bag. I take out what I’ll need for the day and it goes out on the hooks until pick up.
Meeko 02:52 PM 12-10-2017
I keep a sharpie on the diaper changing shelves. When I change a diaper and notice we are getting low, I grab the sharpie right then and there and write "more please!" across the front of the current diaper. Mom has to change the child so always sees my message. Works great.
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 03:30 PM 12-10-2017
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I keep a sharpie on the diaper changing shelves. When I change a diaper and notice we are getting low, I grab the sharpie right then and there and write "more please!" across the front of the current diaper. Mom has to change the child so always sees my message. Works great.
That is awesome!
Mike 04:15 PM 12-10-2017
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Interesting idea
CityGarden 10:48 PM 12-10-2017
It sounds like you do not trust the mom and that you feel mom does not trust you... after 8 months this is a bad spot to be in and I would look to replace them.

If I cared for infants I would likely provide everything except formula / breastmilk and charge parents a bit more to make that work financially. I have found there are certain baby wipes that I like to use, certain brands of diapers, etc. it also makes drop off and pick up easier to have less time the parents "need" to be adding things or checking cubbies.

I have 2-5 year olds in my program and other than their lunch box no outside items are allowed. If their child is still in pull ups then they can provide a large package of pull ups as needed in their cubby.
Cat Herder 06:25 AM 12-11-2017
No worries guys. Help is in the way.

Congress Takes on #DiaperNeed! - http://nationaldiaperbanknetwork.org...on-diaperneed/

H.R.1143 - Hygiene Assistance for Families of Infants and Toddlers Act of 2017 - https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...bill/1143/text

He did not immediately have an estimate of the cost. - https://nypost.com/2017/11/29/bill-w...dcare-centers/
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 12-11-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
No worries guys. Help is in the way.

Congress Takes on #DiaperNeed! - http://nationaldiaperbanknetwork.org...on-diaperneed/

H.R.1143 - Hygiene Assistance for Families of Infants and Toddlers Act of 2017 - https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...bill/1143/text

He did not immediately have an estimate of the cost. - https://nypost.com/2017/11/29/bill-w...dcare-centers/
I don't know if it's similar or not but this same idea was talked about in 2011....https://delauro.house.gov/media-cent...id-legislation
We had a thread about it too... https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36003
getnsmart 09:13 AM 12-11-2017
Don't put up with that. Terminate her and keep it moving. Then a new year is coming time to include all the things that irritated you this year and put into policy. I always make sure that I include in my policy that I may terminate at anytime I feel my policy is not being followed. You seem nice. Get tough they will respect you. Getting tough in policy and demand for them to follow it������
Cat Herder 11:34 AM 12-11-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't know if it's similar or not but this same idea was talked about in 2011....https://delauro.house.gov/media-cent...id-legislation
We had a thread about it too... https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36003
This is round two (or more).

"Introduced in House (02/16/2017) This bill amends the Public Health Service Act to direct the Administration for Children and Families of the Department of Health and Human Services to award grants to states or local governments, Indian tribes or tribal organizations, or nonprofit organizations to conduct demonstration projects to help low-income families address the diapering needs of their children."

Demonstration projects test and measure the effects of program changes in real-world situations. In theory.
Ariana 12:51 PM 12-11-2017
I would probably be done too and replace if I could. She sounds like a total nightmare.

I also think I might switch to providing diapers and wipes because it would make things sooooo much easier.
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency
Reply Up