Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Hfm
CountryRoads 07:12 PM 12-13-2018
Does anyone have any experience with this?

I had to send home 2 kids yesterday due to fevers. Mom just texted me to tell me that dcg has rash on her face and knees and is now in her mouth. Her brother is starting to get the rash, too. She just spoke to a pediatrician and he told her it sounds like HFM.

I'm kinda freaking out. I don't have any experience with it but I've heard it's super contagious and horrible.

Any advice/input for dealing with this? When should I allow the kids back?

Thanks in advance!
storybookending 07:27 PM 12-13-2018
I had this go through here last Spring. My sib set family was exposed to it on a Monday while they weren’t in care and I sent them home that Friday with fevers. Two other kids caught it and I honestly didn’t think it was that bad. I excluded only when fever was present and 24 hours after. Basically they are most contagious before the fever even starts. I’ve see some post that they exclude till all rashes have scabbed over but I didn’t see the point in that as research shows that it won’t help.
amberrose3dg 04:29 AM 12-14-2018
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
Does anyone have any experience with this?

I had to send home 2 kids yesterday due to fevers. Mom just texted me to tell me that dcg has rash on her face and knees and is now in her mouth. Her brother is starting to get the rash, too. She just spoke to a pediatrician and he told her it sounds like HFM.

I'm kinda freaking out. I don't have any experience with it but I've heard it's super contagious and horrible.

Any advice/input for dealing with this? When should I allow the kids back?

Thanks in advance!
Be prepared for it to spread. It is highly contagious.
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 12-14-2018
Here is the info my licensing department provides us about HFM https://www.hennepin.us/-/media/henn...8B8F6E3B9D29E2
CountryRoads 08:09 AM 12-14-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here is the info my licensing department provides us about HFM https://www.hennepin.us/-/media/henn...8B8F6E3B9D29E2

I called my pediatrician and I was so shocked to hear her say that there is no exclusion for HFM, only if they have a fever. I wouldn't feel comfortable allowing a child to attend knowing they have HFM and open blisters.
Ariana 09:43 AM 12-14-2018
I called my pediatrician and I was so shocked to hear her say that there is no exclusion for HFM, only if they have a fever. I wouldn't feel comfortable allowing a child to attend knowing they have HFM and open blisters.
Ignore the pediatrician. They also told me my kid could go back to school with strep I am convinced that this is why kids are so sick these days passing germs back and forth.

I exclude for rash and fever so she would be out until completely rash free. I just had to exclude for this a couple weeks ago. Not HFM but a rash and sore in her mouth.
Blackcat31 10:29 AM 12-14-2018
Like Ariana said, ignore the pediatrician.
For me exclusion isn't about stopping the others from getting it all together but to limit the continuous cycling since it's such a long lasting illness.

Exclusion reduces the likelihood of others repeatedly getting it.

I like a doctor's input but don't take their word as LAW.
I write my own policies.
Reply Up