Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Have to do Something
Thriftylady 08:48 AM 02-21-2015
I really have to do something about my kiddos. Right now they are the only two I have, and they are not horrible kids but I have to keep them. They are sister 8 and brother 9. If I don't entertain them every second, they get wild. They don't want to stay with the same activity more than 5 minutes or so unless I turn on the tv, which I refuse to do even daily. Yesterday, I left them at the table at snack time and checked the boards here and a ruckus happened. They were up on their knees in the chairs again, she fell out of hers and I discovered today somehow in the mess, broke my highchair. They will NOT sit on their butts in chairs. Is it to much to expect that I can turn my back on an 8 and 9 year old for five minutes? Is it to much to expect they entertain themselves for a few minutes? I have never had such issues with kids this age before.
Starburst 11:14 AM 02-21-2015
It seems like they have a lot of pent up energy, how often do they go outside? Maybe more time outside (if possible, weather pending) will help.

Do you specialize in school age or were you planning your business for younger kids or a diverse multi-age groups? If you were expecting more younger groups try evaluating your activity/ game selection to see how much of it is age appropriate for schoolers. Maybe look into getting more board games.

Some kid friendly games:
Checkers
Backgammon
Candyland
Shoots and Latter's
Life
Headbands
Battleship
Connect 4
Guess Who
Hungry Hungry Hippos
Operation
Wack-a-Mole
Scrabble
Boggle
Bingo
Cards
Apples to Apples (kid version)

Activities:
Painting
Drawing
Coloring
Organizing/ sorting
Play-doh
Hot Wheels (cars)
Reading
Hidden object (I spy) books
Mad-libs
Sudoku
Puzzles
Word search
Make jewlery
Cooking
Karaoke
Dancing/Zumba (if you were willing to make an exception to the TV rule, there are lots of Zumba videos and DDR games)
Science projects
Legos
Scavenger hunt
Thriftylady 02:11 PM 02-21-2015
They had pent up energy this week because school was out all week due to weather. Today is the first day above 15 degrees in a week. But that happened yesterday AFTER I took them to Mcdonalds play place for two hours. And I pretty much kept them busy all week with arts and crafts, cooking lessons etc. If they were not entertained by me for more than a few minutes they got wild. I couldn't even allow free play this week, because it ended up with jumping on the furniture, running in the house, etc. They are great kids IF I keep them occupied every single minute.

ETA every time we got out board games, they fought. They were fine during other activities but couldn't seem to get along playing a game for some reason I don't understand that.
Laurel 09:49 AM 02-22-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I really have to do something about my kiddos. Right now they are the only two I have, and they are not horrible kids but I have to keep them. They are sister 8 and brother 9. If I don't entertain them every second, they get wild. They don't want to stay with the same activity more than 5 minutes or so unless I turn on the tv, which I refuse to do even daily. Yesterday, I left them at the table at snack time and checked the boards here and a ruckus happened. They were up on their knees in the chairs again, she fell out of hers and I discovered today somehow in the mess, broke my highchair. They will NOT sit on their butts in chairs. Is it to much to expect that I can turn my back on an 8 and 9 year old for five minutes? Is it to much to expect they entertain themselves for a few minutes? I have never had such issues with kids this age before.
Well if they wouldn't sit on the chairs, I would remove the chairs. Tell them they can stand at the table unless they want to sit. They can earn their chairs back.

In a way you are lucky that you can deal with their problem without other little ones you have to attend to.

I'd start from scratch and train them to play by themselves. I'd first have a talk with them and explain that they can't seem to play by themselves without getting wild and that is not acceptable. Explain that you like to do things with them sometimes but you are not a child and not their playmate so sometimes they will have to play alone or together nicely.

If you have to separate them then so be it. Put them at opposite ends of the table/room and give them something to do (or let them pick one thing). Give them a specified space (such as at that table or on that rug). Then put on a timer or just sit there and watch their every move. Don't try to go and do other things as they can't be trusted yet. If they try to get up tell them to sit down, if they start whining tell them to be silent if necessary. Just be really strict. Tell them you are getting them used to playing all by themselves nicely. Once they show you that they can then tell them they can play together. Again, with you watching. Rinse and repeat until they do better. Be consistent. It will be a pain for a while but then be good again.

I agree to make sure you have age appropriate things and ask them what they would like to do.

Also, your taking them to McDonald's to play was excellent. When I had some schoolagers (before I banned them, lol) I walked to the park with them every single day and then they played and walked back. That helped get out their energy.

If you don't have babies now I think I would also remove the baby stuff and put it into storage so it doesn't get damaged.

Laurel
Thriftylady 11:41 AM 02-22-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:
Well if they wouldn't sit on the chairs, I would remove the chairs. Tell them they can stand at the table unless they want to sit. They can earn their chairs back.

In a way you are lucky that you can deal with their problem without other little ones you have to attend to.

I'd start from scratch and train them to play by themselves. I'd first have a talk with them and explain that they can't seem to play by themselves without getting wild and that is not acceptable. Explain that you like to do things with them sometimes but you are not a child and not their playmate so sometimes they will have to play alone or together nicely.

If you have to separate them then so be it. Put them at opposite ends of the table/room and give them something to do (or let them pick one thing). Give them a specified space (such as at that table or on that rug). Then put on a timer or just sit there and watch their every move. Don't try to go and do other things as they can't be trusted yet. If they try to get up tell them to sit down, if they start whining tell them to be silent if necessary. Just be really strict. Tell them you are getting them used to playing all by themselves nicely. Once they show you that they can then tell them they can play together. Again, with you watching. Rinse and repeat until they do better. Be consistent. It will be a pain for a while but then be good again.

I agree to make sure you have age appropriate things and ask them what they would like to do.

Also, your taking them to McDonald's to play was excellent. When I had some schoolagers (before I banned them, lol) I walked to the park with them every single day and then they played and walked back. That helped get out their energy.

If you don't have babies now I think I would also remove the baby stuff and put it into storage so it doesn't get damaged.

Laurel
I will try your ideas! I do have some age appropriate things, but they just want to bounce from one to another so fast. When the weather will allow it, we will be walking to the park as it is only a couple of blocks away, we will be using it a TON. It even has a nice "track" that people use for walking in the evenings that will be great for bikes and trikes as it is usually empty during the daytime hours. I plan to use it as it is away from traffic I can drive the truck over in the mornings if I need with our bikes and such in it and walk back home it can sit there all day if need be until I walk back in the evening. I think I may do as you said and as they pick activities let them play that until I say they are done. McDonalds this week was because we ALL needed to get out of the house a bit.
Laurel 12:30 PM 02-22-2015
Sounds good. It sounds like they are used to being entertained but they are too old to be constantly entertained. Someone has to teach them. I figure it is us if they don't learn it anywhere else.

We have 2 parks in walking distance and one had a track like yours. I took big wheels and bikes there if I only had 1 or 2 kiddies. Also sidewalk chalk, balls, cars, trucks, baby doll strollers, board games to do at picnic tables. Anything to keep us there longer, lol.

Laurel
Josiegirl 03:31 PM 02-22-2015
The dcks have winter break this next week and 2 days of the following week. So that means I'll have an extra 3 kids, ages 6-8. I was just browsing on Pinterest for some school age art and came up with a whole fun looking list of unique things for kids to do. So check for art type activities. Hope they like art?
Thriftylady 03:42 PM 02-22-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
The dcks have winter break this next week and 2 days of the following week. So that means I'll have an extra 3 kids, ages 6-8. I was just browsing on Pinterest for some school age art and came up with a whole fun looking list of unique things for kids to do. So check for art type activities. Hope they like art?
They do, but it only keeps them occupied for so long. Probably longer than anything else does though.
Tags:activities - age appropriate, school age daycare kids
Reply Up