Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Language Help With Late Fee Pick-Up
nytika 11:10 AM 08-03-2011
I am a home provider whom is tired of being taken advantage of. I am looking for some advice on the wording for a late pick-up fee. Ive heard some people charge by the min and others by the half or quarter hour. Im in need of some guidance here. thanks in advance for all who respond.
SimpleMom 11:50 AM 08-03-2011
I do the 5 bucks per day late charge. Payment is due on Mondays BEFORE the week/day begins. After that it's late. I usually give three grace periods if they are normally on time. I have enforced the late fee after that and it stops being late really fast
Cat Herder 11:52 AM 08-03-2011
My late fee is $1 per minute after 6pm.

My early fee is the same rate...

"My operating hours are from 8am until 6pm. All arrivals/departures outside of those hours will be subject to a $1 per minute fee. Thank you in advance for respecting my family time."
SimpleMom 11:53 AM 08-03-2011
sorry, just realized you were talking about pick-ups.lol I charge by the minute--no limit. I charge that per child, not family. I also let them know this at the interview and if I need to enforce that I reiterate the rule.

I won't let anyone stay past my closing time. I am very strict on that and have had no problems with it.
PitterPatter 12:13 PM 08-03-2011
That's funny I just handed out my newsletter with a few policy reminders at the bottom as I always enter to kindly remind the parents of the policies. Here is how I put it.

PLEASE arrive on time for pick up. If a problem should arise someone else may pick up your child. REMEMBER there is a $5 late pick up fee, per hour, per child. I have been very lenient in the past with enforcing fees, but will no longer be able to be as accommodating since both of these issues do impact my family and personal obligations. Thank you for your understanding.

That's actually pretty cheap compared to what I have seen other charge and the parents still complain. Stick to your guns!
Christian Mother 01:00 PM 08-03-2011
I charge $5 an hr after pick up time. But if they where to abuse such as not calling a head or letting me know well in advance of there schedule then they will def. be getting more then a late fee. I let families slide if there is a doctors apt and they let me know a week in advanced and that the child is picked up at closing. All my kids are have contracted hrs. I stay open til 4:30pm and most are great about picking up on time but I do have one right now feeling out her hrs since she just started a new job. She is having a hard time scheduling doctor appts since she is pregnant and works pretty far from daycare. She is almost always late. We are redoing her contract soon her to try and meet her needs but also put some extra money in my pocket too.
familyschoolcare 01:08 PM 08-03-2011
This is what my contract says ...

There is a charge of $10.00 every five minutes or portion thereof that you are late picking up your child. **** Child care closes at 6:15 and as such the late fee will start at 6:15pm (there is no grace period).

I choose to charge by the five minute intervals because, when I was the closing teacher at a center many parents, (usually the same ones over and over again) would argue that they where actually 4 min. late not 6.

Also one time the director stayed late because she thought I was elaborating when telling her about how rude parents where when picking their child up late. She "forgot" to give this parent the 5 min. grace. Only after seeing the late slip and the charge on it did the mom get off her cell phone and said to the director but I have until 6:05 to pick up my child. (This parent never picked her child up before 6:00, the advertised time the center closed) Which is why I do not offer a grace period.
nytika 09:05 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
My late fee is $1 per minute after 6pm.

My early fee is the same rate...

"My operating hours are from 8am until 6pm. All arrivals/departures outside of those hours will be subject to a $1 per minute fee. Thank you in advance for respecting my family time."
The last sentence i like because it makes it feel more about your time and not about the money, Per say.
nytika 09:10 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
That's funny I just handed out my newsletter with a few policy reminders at the bottom as I always enter to kindly remind the parents of the policies. Here is how I put it.

PLEASE arrive on time for pick up. If a problem should arise someone else may pick up your child. REMEMBER there is a $5 late pick up fee, per hour, per child. I have been very lenient in the past with enforcing fees, but will no longer be able to be as accommodating since both of these issues do impact my family and personal obligations. Thank you for your understanding.

That's actually pretty cheap compared to what I have seen other charge and the parents still complain. Stick to your guns!
Thank you for your reply. This was most insightful full. Not just the fee but a reason for it. Thanks again
Cat Herder 08:23 AM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by nytika:
The last sentence i like because it makes it feel more about your time and not about the money, Per say.
That is what it is about for me.

I have breakfast with and take my kids to school in the mornings and don't like to have my driveway blocked so I can't get back in quickly (especially in inclement weather).

My family dinner is at 6pm so if they are late, I don't get to eat with my family.

I used to have a long paragraph explaining all that to parents, but they stopped reading after the first 9 words...

I have learned over the years that less is more when it comes to Contract Policy writing and actual parental compliance. You can explain more detail in person, face to face, during the interview.

Keep the wording clear, concise with the expectation well defined and easily enforceable. Less is more. If you are not going to enforce it consistently, don't put it in your contract.

Wishy washy wording or begging them to "please, do you the favor of ***" tends to go badly quickly, IYKWIM?

Ever read Nans late policy?? She has the best one ever....

"Don't do it!"
nytika 02:00 PM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
That is what it is about for me.

I have breakfast with and take my kids to school in the mornings and don't like to have my driveway blocked so I can't get back in quickly (especially in inclement weather).

My family dinner is at 6pm so if they are late, I don't get to eat with my family.

I used to have a long paragraph explaining all that to parents, but they stopped reading after the first 9 words...

I have learned over the years that less is more when it comes to Contract Policy writing and actual parental compliance. You can explain more detail in person, face to face, during the interview.

Keep the wording clear, concise with the expectation well defined and easily enforceable. Less is more. If you are not going to enforce it consistently, don't put it in your contract.

Wishy washy wording or begging them to "please, do you the favor of ***" tends to go badly quickly, IYKWIM?

Ever read Nans late policy?? She has the best one ever....

"Don't do it!"
Thanks so much for the advice. I havent read anything of Nans yet. but i see she's kind of everywhere. ill have to check her stuff later tonight. Could you point me in the right direction on where to find her policy at?

In the past i never added anything to the contracts the state uses. I dislike paperwork but its necessary. I am in the process now of getting more organized and paperwork flow better.

Im also realizing how much ive been taken advantage of over the years. Im older and softer now, easily attached to the kids and making it less business. Realizing now that im being taken advantage of. Its not fair to my family. But with policy that too shall pass....
Cat Herder 02:32 PM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by nytika:
Thanks so much for the advice. I havent read anything of Nans yet. but i see she's kind of everywhere. ill have to check her stuff later tonight. Could you point me in the right direction on where to find her policy at?
Sure!

Click the link on the bottom of any one of her posts, it will take you to her blog.
Tags:contract - clear, early arrival fee, enforcing policies - consistency, hours of operation, late fee, late fee - letter, newsletter
Reply Up