Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Have Your DCKs Brush Their Teeth On Your Time?
Hunni Bee 08:10 PM 01-15-2012
I did for about a year. I stopped because (I'm in a center) I had to purchase the toothbrushes and toothpaste out of my own pocket, and it was really time consuming right before nap. Its not a center wide thing, its something I started on my own.

I'm going to start up again because several of my dcks come in with horrible breath and I dont think they brush at home at all. I'm just going to do a group brush in the morning and one before nap. It should only take about five minutes each, but of course it'll take twice as long.

If any of you do this, how do you fit it into your schedule (if you have more than a handful of dcks)?
Lianne 04:40 AM 01-16-2012
I do. Our health unit gives away kid toothbrushes for free. I don't use toothpaste and the kids just brush at the table after lunch.
LittleD 05:44 AM 01-16-2012
Originally Posted by Lianne:
I do. Our health unit gives away kid toothbrushes for free. I don't use toothpaste and the kids just brush at the table after lunch.
Good idea! I used to, but then I filled up and it's time consuming to have 1 kid at the sink at a time (which is the only way to do it so you don't have Johnny complaining Ricky spit on his hand )

I only have 3 littles during the day, so I was thinking about starting back up.
Sunchimes 05:49 AM 01-16-2012
I tried. I told them that if they would bring me a toothbrush and toothpaste, we would brush after breakfast and lunch. One parent brought a toothbrush a few times but didn't want to buy one to leave here, the other's never brought one. One mom said she did it before they left home, but if that's true, her kid has a real problem because the morning breath will knock you over. shrug I'm not going to bug them about it-the offer is on the table.
AnythingsPossible 05:55 AM 01-16-2012
I don't do teeth brushing here, though I probably should. I was given and idea by our local head start program. They use small disposable cups, give all the kids their tooth brush, place tooth paste on it, line them all up and have them brush and spit in their disposable cup. That way, you could get them all done at once and they aren't all trying to use the sink.
Heidi 06:17 AM 01-16-2012
I bought toothbrushes for all mine at Walmart for 2/$1.00. THey are color coded according to each child's color (for cups, blankets, and labels on cubbies). That's how I teach colors, for the most part ("who's YELLOW cup is this? I forget...)

Toddler at table with a dab of toddler toothpaste, and bigger ones take turns at the sink.

Maybe your local dentist will donate toothbrushes, or even come in to show the kids about teeth and how to brush?

Sunchimes 07:08 AM 01-16-2012
I just have 3, all 17 months old. Poor old Cliff (our dentist) wouldn't make much of an impact on them yet. It isn't about the money. I feel sort of funny doing it on my own--sort of like if they don't want to furnish the toothbrush they don't really want me doing it. I'm still pondering this one.
Blackcat31 07:13 AM 01-16-2012
We all brush our teeth right after lunch and before nap time. Each child has their own tooth brush and cup. We use toothpaste but I am the one who applies it to their brushes. It only takes about 15 minutes of our time as we have a timer and each kid knows they brush until the bell and then it is the next child's turn.

I got 100's of child size tooth brushes and colorbooks by contacting Colgate. They were more than happy to send out a box of dental health goodies!
melskids 09:59 AM 01-16-2012
We brush here too....It takes 15 or 20 minutes, I dont mind spending the time to do it. Self help skills are a big part of our program.
KEG123 10:15 AM 01-16-2012
I had no idea so many of you did. We don't.
Ariana 10:22 AM 01-16-2012
We don't do it either.
DCMom 10:24 AM 01-16-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We all brush our teeth right after lunch and before nap time. Each child has their own tooth brush and cup. We use toothpaste but I am the one who applies it to their brushes. It only takes about 15 minutes of our time as we have a timer and each kid knows they brush until the bell and then it is the next child's turn.

I got 100's of child size tooth brushes and colorbooks by contacting Colgate. They were more than happy to send out a box of dental health goodies!
Same here with the preschoolers. I remind the schoolagers after breakfast and before bus, but I don't make sure they do it.
Hunni Bee 08:42 PM 01-16-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

im going to totally do that. It was just one of those things that nobody but you cared you were doing using your own money...

I was doing one at a time, but twelve kids times 5 minutes of bathroom time each (I do have more than one restroom), was too much at nap. We'll see how this goes...
MN Mom 03:53 AM 01-17-2012
It is now recommended to wait 30-60 min after eating or drinking to brush teeth. Exposure to the different acids in foods (especially OJ) while eating softens the enamel on teeth, and brushing immediately after can cause enamel erosion.

http://www.freysmiles.com/blog/view/...r-after-eating
Tags:hygiene, schedule, toothbrushing
Reply Up