Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Funny Visitor Today
Daycarelady1979 04:12 PM 01-11-2013
So a girl came to my front door today asking about daycare...she said she is a stay at home mom & doesn't have a job...she just needs someone to watch her kid (who looked maybe 2 yrs old) so she can get her house clean!
daycare 04:14 PM 01-11-2013
Originally Posted by Daycarelady1979:
So a girl came to my front door today asking about daycare...she said she is a stay at home mom & doesn't have a job...she just needs someone to watch her kid (who looked maybe 2 yrs old) so she can get her house clean!
I deal with this every day....more than half of my clients don't work, some have nannies at home and their kids are here full time....

BTW I would have said you can't me a stay at home mom if I care for your child, you will have to be a SAHW....stay at home woman, becuase you are not mothering when I have your child....

your situation was funny and sad, kind of like mine. But I take these clients because I am in the business of making money. lol
Daycarelady1979 05:12 PM 01-11-2013
Her boyfriend was with her...he doesn't work either.
He trapped my husband out by the garage & kept asking him SUPER weird questions. The girl at my door mentioned that she was nervous about nanny-cams?? They were the strangest couple I've ever seen.
Meeko 06:23 PM 01-11-2013
Maybe they were casing the joint???!!!
Daycarelady1979 06:34 PM 01-11-2013
Possibly!
The boyfriend kept looking around the garage & saying stuff like, "that's a nice four wheeler, how much are you asking for it?" My husband was like, uhhhhh...it's not for sale. He asked if he had guns for sale. He asked about his crossbow. Now that I think about it, the girl asked if we have big dogs. Hmmmm...something's not right. Why would she ask about nanny-cams & big dogs? And why would the boyfriend be looking at everything in our garage??
Patches 07:10 PM 01-11-2013
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Maybe they were casing the joint???!!!
Originally Posted by Daycarelady1979:
Possibly!
The boyfriend kept looking around the garage & saying stuff like, "that's a nice four wheeler, how much are you asking for it?" My husband was like, uhhhhh...it's not for sale. He asked if he had guns for sale. He asked about his crossbow. Now that I think about it, the girl asked if we have big dogs. Hmmmm...something's not right. Why would she ask about nanny-cams & big dogs? And why would the boyfriend be looking at everything in our garage??
Oh wow! Something is definitely not right there Very scary to me
wdmmom 07:20 PM 01-11-2013
Keep things locked tight!! If neither have a job, chances are theyre looking for high end items that could be sold quickly.

To be honest, I'd call police and ask for patrol around your neighborhood. (But, Im a bit over the top sometimes too.)
Msdunny 07:42 PM 01-11-2013
Honestly, I would be contacting the police. There may have been burglaries in the area. That is beyond weird!
Patches 07:44 PM 01-11-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Keep things locked tight!! If neither have a job, chances are theyre looking for high end items that could be sold quickly.

To be honest, I'd call police and ask for patrol around your neighborhood. (But, Im a bit over the top sometimes too.)
I agree. You can't be too careful
Starburst 08:16 PM 01-11-2013
It seems like they are older teenagers or very early in their 20's. I know that I am a very paranoid person, but I would say it sounds like maybe they were doing some kinda scam or heist like the girl was distracting you and asking you SECURITY QUESTIONS (cameras and big dogs? him asking about guns?) and the bf was sizing up the garage and all of your personal itmes while asking about PRICES (how much you asking for it?) like asking for what those things would go for if they were resold used when they are not for sale.

The fact that neither of them have a job but are looking for daycare is really suspicous- unless they are in school and have financial aid or parents that would pay for daycare while they are looking for a job. If that happens again I would ask them "So if neither of you have a job, why do you need daycare?" and "How would you expect to pay for it?" I would just be careful if I see either of them there again and ask other providers you may know if this couple has come to see them as well. Too bad there isn't an official blackball list or something for providers where if parents have major payment/policy issues, terribly behaved children, or just look very suspicous you can just put out a warning list or something. If they came around again I would tell them that you are looking for serious inquiries only and want a non-refundable deposit (1st/last week of care or a registration fee). Or if you have not intrest in them, or honestly just do not have a space, just say "I currently do not have any open spots for child's age group"

I have heard that some teen moms do ask weird questions and have weird expectations of child care because they are nervious and over protective- there was teen mom (she said she was 16 or 17) on craigslist in my area that posted for a babysitter/nanny opening saying that she wanted some one to watch her kid when she was at school and she wanted someone who had at least 10 child care references, their own car, along with first and CPR(understandable), and she would be willing to pay was about $6 or $7/hour (minimum wage here is $8/hr). I have babysat and nannied in this area and I started off at $10/hr and one family (they had a special needs child) paid me $12/hr (they gave me a raise after a month) but I do not have 10 references (though I had worked at a home daycare before). With her expectations she would be better off taking her baby to a family child care home or daycare center but she said she wanted the baby at home (which is understandable because I think the baby was only 3 or 4 months) but still I doubt she would have someone who has 10 child care references, a car, and first aid/cpr certificate for less than minimum wage here. This is a small town and many families here make a lot of money and are able to pay private nannies (though there are ALOT of family child cares here) but most people here can either afford to work at home or have one parent at home, so many FCCs aren't doing so well also because some of the providers have husbands who make a good living alone and are undercutting everyone else in the area.
LK5kids 05:13 PM 01-12-2013
You should always go with your gut instinct! I agree....something is NOT right. I've learned over the years that it feels weird because something is wrong. I'd call pd too. Doesn't hurt.
daycaremom76 08:40 PM 01-12-2013
We have security cameras on our house for this very reason! It's amazing how many people are just "wandering" around the neighborhood during the day. We live in a really nice area and still have "kick in door" break ins all the time. We purchased a security system from Sears for about $800 and have 8 cameras around our house. My dcp's LOVE it! The monitor sits right on my desk next to my laptop and I can see every inch of the outside of my house. When someone walks up to the door there is a camera staring them straight in the face! It even saving me with licensing once............I while back I let a family go and the mother turned around and reported me to the state and said I was letting the daycare kids in the pool. My licensing agent came out and I let her watch the videos and had proof that she was lying! I even caught someone on camera breaking into my neighbors car! It's been the best investment ever! Plus I always get a kick out of some of my neighbors............people do some really stupid things when they don't think anyone is watching!!!!
bunnyslippers 06:50 AM 01-14-2013
Please notify your police department! That sounds beyond weird, and definitely suspicious!

We had someone come to my front door about paving a couple of years ago. I called the police, and it turns out they were traveling through the area looking for houses to break into. The police ended up watching my house for weeks.

Call the police!!!! Sketchy sketchy sketchy! Makes me nervous.
Daycarelady1979 07:18 AM 01-14-2013
My husband (who is the total opposite of me) doesn't think we need to call the police. We have a home security system & of course the 3 dogs that bark like crazy...plus he has a CCW & we have a whole arsenal of guns here (locked in safes, of course)...he did say that he wants to secure the window in the garage a little better b/c it freaked him out the way the guy was looking around in there.

After the fact, I did wonder if maybe they tag-teamed us, one at the front door, one in the garage, so that someone could sneak in the back door & we wouldn't notice...but I had a house full of kids & dogs, so that didn't happen. And thank goodness I didn't let her in! I made her stand on the front porch the whole time. When she asked about looking around inside, I told her she would have to make an appointment.

The whole thing is just creepy...
williams2008 10:32 AM 01-14-2013
Wow, that is creepy!!
lovemykidstoo 10:42 AM 01-14-2013
Well to quote Judge Judy, "that doesn't make sense and if it doesn't make sense it's usually not true". Sounds like a scam to me. Where did they come from? Did they walk up or drive up? Did they say they lived close to you? How did they act when you said you had dogs? Did you tell them you had guns?
Tags:funny, odd
Reply Up