Default Style Register Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Things To Look For In A Acct/Or Tax Preparer
legomom922 02:14 PM 01-07-2011
Since tis is my first time claiming deductions, etc, I really don't know what I'm doing... So I was thinking since this is the first yr I really should have a professional do my taxes, but how do I go about finding a good one? I have been told not to use people like from H & R block, what I dont know what type of questions to ask someone. I am assuming I should use someone who knows all the laws for DCP's, but how do you find them? I have Tomss book, but I havent had alot of time to read it all yet, and I am sooo far behind on entering expenses etc on MMK..I dont think I have done it since Aug.. My reciepts are a mess...I know I have alot of work to get caught up on and quick!
TomCopeland 07:14 PM 01-07-2011
I've posted a tax preparer directory at Click on Business Center and you'll see the link to the directory below my photo. The list is a little outdated so you may find preparers who are no longer in business.

The basic things to look for are:
1) Does the person have an EA credential (Enrolled Agent)? This is a good measure of someone who understands small businesses.
2) How many other family child care returns does the preparer do? The more the better.
3) Does the tax preparer understand the unique tax rules affecting providers?
Time-Space % - Have them explain how to calculate it.
Can you count hours you use your home after the children are gone? Yes
Should you depreciate your home? Always yes
Should you depreciate the furniture and appliances in your home? Yes
4) What does the tax preparer charge?
5) Are you comfortable with the person? Will he or she return your calls promptly? Are they in business year round?
Tags:accountant, mmk, money management, tax preparer
Reply Up