Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WICC & Government Shut Down - HELP IMPORTANT
Cradle2crayons 01:28 AM 10-03-2013
My mom of special daycare toddler just called and told me that statewide WICC will be closed for 45 days, according to WICC due to the government shut down.

Problem is that the special toddler is tube fed, and her formula is supplied by WICC. It's special formula that can't be bought and she won't be allowed to pick up until mid November at the earliest.

Her newborn is also provided formula though this agency. Although his formula CAN be bought, it's special and xpensive.

The special toddler is also on SSI.

My question is how can they deny this child life saving tube fed formula because of this shut down. Without her formula, she will DIE. She doesn't eat by mouth, only is tube fed.

The mom has no idea how to get this baby her formula and of course, taking her inpatient just to receive her tube feeding isn't an option.

We have calls into several different avenues but none look hopeful. she has enough formula for a few more days but wasn't allowed to pick up her formula for October, even though it was ordered and received at the facility on September 30th

Ideas anyone??
Sugar Magnolia 03:28 AM 10-03-2013
Omg.......how horrible! I have no idea what to do.
It can't be bought at full price? Just mind boggling, thanks Congress.
If it was me, I would be on a street corner with a sign or blowing up my congressman's phone.
Kaddidle Care 03:51 AM 10-03-2013
Tell her to contact the formula manufacturer directly to see if they can give her coupons/discounts. If she signs up for the new Health Care is it covered?

What a nightmare!
Laurel 04:22 AM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
My mom of special daycare toddler just called and told me that statewide WICC will be closed for 45 days, according to WICC due to the government shut down.

Problem is that the special toddler is tube fed, and her formula is supplied by WICC. It's special formula that can't be bought and she won't be allowed to pick up until mid November at the earliest.

Her newborn is also provided formula though this agency. Although his formula CAN be bought, it's special and xpensive.

The special toddler is also on SSI.

My question is how can they deny this child life saving tube fed formula because of this shut down. Without her formula, she will DIE. She doesn't eat by mouth, only is tube fed.

The mom has no idea how to get this baby her formula and of course, taking her inpatient just to receive her tube feeding isn't an option.

We have calls into several different avenues but none look hopeful. she has enough formula for a few more days but wasn't allowed to pick up her formula for October, even though it was ordered and received at the facility on September 30th

Ideas anyone??
If it was received at the facility I think I'd be calling my congressman asap. There has to be a way to get it.

Otherwise contacting the manufacturer might work.

I wonder if there is some kind of charity that would pay for it or partially pay for it?

Laurel
Laurel 04:34 AM 10-03-2013
Maybe call the child's doctor and see if he/she has any ideas.

Laurel
se7en 04:47 AM 10-03-2013
I just read that Mississippi WIC program is still running. It is a Fed program, but not affected, yet. Tell dcm to look into it through a state program, to get info at least. Good luck to her.
MyAngels 05:20 AM 10-03-2013
As PP said contact your Congressmen, both at the Federal and state levels. Your state Representatives especially should be able to get something done ASAP.
daycarediva 05:27 AM 10-03-2013
CALL PHARMACIES!!! I know that we special ordered formula all the time and had many different kinds available. With a prescription, they are usually covered by insurance. (if she has state insurance, it's almost a guarantee that they will cover it)
crunchymama 06:03 AM 10-03-2013
Call the child's pediatrician and have them rz the formula, then find a pharmacy to get it.
Cradle2crayons 06:36 AM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Tell her to contact the formula manufacturer directly to see if they can give her coupons/discounts. If she signs up for the new Health Care is it covered?

What a nightmare!
The child is on ssi so she gets Medicaid... And full price is like $200 a day. This is the mom that can't even afford diapers and whose kids aren't getting anything for Christmas... The mom who works two jobs and makes $25 too much for most assistance.
Cradle2crayons 06:37 AM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by crunchymama:
Call the child's pediatrician and have them rz the formula, then find a pharmacy to get it.
She tried that yesterday. Medicaid won't pay for it if its prescribed because they say its provided by WICC
Cradle2crayons 06:38 AM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by se7en:
I just read that Mississippi WIC program is still running. It is a Fed program, but not affected, yet. Tell dcm to look into it through a state program, to get info at least. Good luck to her.
We called the Wicc office yesterday. They told us they were closing today. And there's a sign on e door today.
momofboys 06:50 AM 10-03-2013
She may need to just put it on a credit card. Sorry she is going through this but if it was my child I would go in deep debt so my kids' needs were met. This is my child - my responsibility. I couldn't afford it either but wouldn't expect the gov't to help me out. I would put it on a credit card with no delay.
Unregistered 06:52 AM 10-03-2013
Please, please tell her to go to the media! She needs to put a picture of who is being hurt by this shutdown. This is life and death! Local media to start and then national. She has to advocate for her child.
momofboys 06:54 AM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Please, please tell her to go to the media! She needs to put a picture of who is being hurt by this shutdown. This is life and death! Local media to start and then national. She has to advocate for her child.

Blackcat31 06:55 AM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
She may need to just put it on a credit card. Sorry she is going through this but if it was my child I would go in deep debt so my kids' needs were met. This is my child - my responsibility. I couldn't afford it either but wouldn't expect the gov't to help me out. I would put it on a credit card with no delay.
I agree. If I didn't have a credit card, I would be selling my furniture or anything else I had to in order for my children to have their needs met.

I certainly wouldn't be waiting around for some government agency to help me out.
Cradle2crayons 06:57 AM 10-03-2013
UPDATE::::: the wic office in my county is still open, half the day today. They say they don't know what tomorrow holds t they are transferring the tube fed formula kids to them and she can pick it up there right now. So she's on the way up there right now. Hopefully they'll get it over there for her to pick up and it goes as planned.

Wish her luck.
momofboys 09:04 AM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree. If I didn't have a credit card, I would be selling my furniture or anything else I had to in order for my children to have their needs met.

I certainly wouldn't be waiting around for some government agency to help me out.

itlw8 09:15 AM 10-03-2013
She still needs to make a big deal about it to the media. The wic office went out of their way to find a solution for her and the others. Seems there is some old law that can actually fine or put people in jail for working during a shutdown. She needs to say how thankful she is for the local people and has no idea what will happen next month if congress does not get their act together.
Lyss 09:41 AM 10-03-2013
Wow! How scary for her! At least if she's able to get it today she should be set for the rest of the month and they can put next month's on a credit card or something but I doubt it will last that long

I have 2 parents on WIC here, both got email notifications and text messages that WIC will be operating as normal until further notice thankfully! Ours must work differently because our WIC doesn't provide anything in the office (or maybe I'm misunderstanding what she's getting), even specialty/rx formulas, just vouchers that parents use as cash for the items and they give them 3 months worth at a time. Maybe that's why ours is still open, it doesn't have that expense?

I've heard that Montana is on the verge shutting down as well but that the state will step in and provide the funds.

I saw this in the news feed http://www.wsfa.com/story/23600511/w...hrough-october
daycarediva 09:45 AM 10-03-2013

UPDATE::::: the wic office in my county is still open, half the day today. They say they don't know what tomorrow holds t they are transferring the tube fed formula kids to them and she can pick it up there right now. So she's on the way up there right now. Hopefully they'll get it over there for her to pick up and it goes as planned.

Wish her luck.
good luck! I worked in pharmacy for YEARS. Her pediatrician can request an emergency waiver for ANYTHING not covered and they have to cover it initially. Don't get me wrong, it most likely will bounce back as not covered and Mom would get the bill, but it's an option if this falls through.

I have been there, done that and it took us YEARS to get out of credit card debt and fix up our credit scores (low 400 to over 750 now) when I had 2 sick kids.
Unregistered 09:47 AM 10-03-2013
I would let my bills past due to pay formula for this child. Where is the father? He should pay formula for his child!
My3cents 09:55 AM 10-03-2013
The child is on ssi so she gets Medicaid... And full price is like $200 a day. This is the mom that can't even afford diapers and whose kids aren't getting anything for Christmas... The mom who works two jobs and makes $25 too much for most assistance.
IF that is the case then she needs to work $25 less so that she can qualify- simple fix there. How sad.

Worse comes to worse, she will have to give her baby a different formula until she can get back on the other one. I would call all the above as mentioned first and see what can be done.

Bunch of programs to make sure the kids get something for Christmas too, you may need to find out what resources are available but there are programs that will help if true need is there.

I would call your licensing agent and ask them how you can best direct this parent to services that can help her. Ask for fliers, brochures, phone numbers ect.... of what is available to people that are in need of help.

best-
My3cents 09:57 AM 10-03-2013
She tried that yesterday. Medicaid won't pay for it if its prescribed because they say its provided by WICC
true normally but explain that wic is not providing it right now, because of the shut down.

Wic is a separate program from medicaid so I am surprised by this-

eeeeh what a mess.
My3cents 10:06 AM 10-03-2013

I agree with this too, but I am gathering that this women has exhausted all efforts already that way and does have a true need. My response was off of that being a given. I totally agree that I would do everything I possible could before asking for help, hand outs etc... but so many people today don't. They just want everything handed to them, and some people do enable this form of thinking. I feel programs should be run this way, with the thoughts of giving a hand up to help others not as a lifestyle choice for people who don't want to work, look for work or help themselves. Everyone can do something- unless you are no more then a vegetable. These programs should incorporate that into their programs, because it gives the person that is receiving motivation, and self worth to do better and try to get off of these programs................anyway.......this is as far as I go on this subject for now, not a train I want to hop on right now, because I could go far with it and it takes me to a place I don't want to be. I started off positive and I want to try to stay that route.
Cradle2crayons 12:44 PM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:
IF that is the case then she needs to work $25 less so that she can qualify- simple fix there. How sad.

Worse comes to worse, she will have to give her baby a different formula until she can get back on the other one. I would call all the above as mentioned first and see what can be done.

Bunch of programs to make sure the kids get something for Christmas too, you may need to find out what resources are available but there are programs that will help if true need is there.

I would call your licensing agent and ask them how you can best direct this parent to services that can help her. Ask for fliers, brochures, phone numbers ect.... of what is available to people that are in need of help.

best-
The child is tube fed. There IS no different formula for her. This is the ONLY formula she can get through her J tube.

And for pp, she doesn't have a credit card. She doesn't own a home or have furniture to sell. E only thing she owns is her car and it has to get her to work.

Unfortunately here there are very few programs that can help everyone. I have contacted a local agency I work with to help with Christmas I hope.

I'm not licensed so there are no authorities except my NHI lady and I've got a call into her about a few of the issues.
Cradle2crayons 12:48 PM 10-03-2013
I agree with this too, but I am gathering that this women has exhausted all efforts already that way and does have a true need. My response was off of that being a given. I totally agree that I would do everything I possible could before asking for help, hand outs etc... but so many people today don't. They just want everything handed to them, and some people do enable this form of thinking. I feel programs should be run this way, with the thoughts of giving a hand up to help others not as a lifestyle choice for people who don't want to work, look for work or help themselves. Everyone can do something- unless you are no more then a vegetable. These programs should incorporate that into their programs, because it gives the person that is receiving motivation, and self worth to do better and try to get off of these programs................anyway.......this is as far as I go on this subject for now, not a train I want to hop on right now, because I could go far with it and it takes me to a place I don't want to be. I started off positive and I want to try to stay that route.
This woman is a single mom working two jobs to support her family. She doesn't accept handouts. Her kids get wic but that's it besides ssi for her daughter.

She has a terrible time asking for help, but when it comes to her kids, she'll do what's necessary.

It's easy to say sell possessions but when you only have the clothes on your back what are you supposed to sell.

It's easy to say charge it but if you don't have a credit card how exactly do you do that??

This woman isn't asking for any help for Christmas... And every day I watch her out in the same pair of jeans... Seven days a week... That doesn't have a button so she uses a safety pin... Wearing shoes that have holes... Her bra is in five pieces that my sewing machine out back together because she refused to let me help her buy a bra and a pair of jeans.

I think you guys are simply throwing her into the profile of her expecting something for nothing and she is far from that profile so please don't go there.
butterfly 12:48 PM 10-03-2013
The child is tube fed. There IS no different formula for her. This is the ONLY formula she can get through her J tube.

And for pp, she doesn't have a credit card. She doesn't own a home or have furniture to sell. E only thing she owns is her car and it has to get her to work.

Unfortunately here there are very few programs that can help everyone. I have contacted a local agency I work with to help with Christmas I hope.

I'm not licensed so there are no authorities except my NHI lady and I've got a call into her about a few of the issues.
So where does the money go that she earns? No home, no furniture, normally gets her kids' food through WIC, medical expenses to medicaid... I don't understand where the money goes. I've been in some tight situations too, but I gave up cable and cell phone, didn't buy clothes or entertainment items. I just spent money on the VERY basic items. Food and diapers for MY KIDS was at the absolute top.

I do feel bad for her situation, but sometimes parents need to think ahead a little and their kids need to come first.
Cradle2crayons 12:53 PM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
So where does the money go that she earns? No home, no furniture, normally gets her kids' food through WIC, medical expenses to medicaid... I don't understand where the money goes. I've been in some tight situations too, but I gave up cable and cell phone, didn't buy clothes or entertainment items. I just spent money on the VERY basic items. Food and diapers for MY KIDS was at the absolute top.

I do feel bad for her situation, but sometimes parents need to think ahead a little and their kids need to come first.
She pays utilities where she lives, groceries, car insurance, gas money to drive an hour one way to daycare and then back to work... She also pays some money towards rent for her and her kids to stay with family. Don't get me started on her family.

She also has expenses Medicaid don't pay. For instance, they never get her all of her supplies and some months she has to buy extensions for the Mickey j. She also buys diapers for two kids. Also buys formula that wic doesn't provide for the baby.

When her toddler is inpatient sometimes she misses work also.

Her kids DO come first. I've seen this lady go without food for more than a few days to get something her kids need.

She doesn't have cable. She has to have a cell phone because her child is medically fragile.
Leanna 12:57 PM 10-03-2013

It doesn't sound like this woman is going home and watching cable TV and chatting on her cell phone. I know that a lot of you on here have seen many people abuse the system, but I really think the woman the OP posted about works hard and is just poor. There are huge numbers of WORKING POOR people, especially single moms. Please stop judging her!
Unregistered 12:58 PM 10-03-2013
This woman is a single mom working two jobs to support her family. She doesn't accept handouts. Her kids get wic but that's it besides ssi for her daughter.

She has a terrible time asking for help, but when it comes to her kids, she'll do what's necessary.

It's easy to say sell possessions but when you only have the clothes on your back what are you supposed to sell.

It's easy to say charge it but if you don't have a credit card how exactly do you do that??

This woman isn't asking for any help for Christmas... And every day I watch her out in the same pair of jeans... Seven days a week... That doesn't have a button so she uses a safety pin... Wearing shoes that have holes... Her bra is in five pieces that my sewing machine out back together because she refused to let me help her buy a bra and a pair of jeans.

I think you guys are simply throwing her into the profile of her expecting something for nothing and she is far from that profile so please don't go there.
If she will do what's necessary to get her kids the things they needs, then maybe she should set her pride aside and accept handouts.

I will never understand people who say they are too proud to accept charity but have no issues using government assistance programs like WIC. Same thing.

Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I am not saying anything bad about accepting or using government assistance programs.

I am just pointing out that a mother who has a child in need can't be picky about where the help comes from.

No one has ever choked swallowing their pride.
Cradle2crayons 12:58 PM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
It doesn't sound like this woman is going home and watching cable TV and chatting on her cell phone. I know that a lot of you on here have seen many people abuse the system, but I really think the woman the OP posted about works hard and is just poor. There are huge numbers of WORKING POOR people, especially single moms. Please stop judging her!
No kidding geesh!! I didn't come on here asking for any government handout programs for a lazy no good mom.

I was asking if anyone knew any other avenues for the child to get her formula..
crazydaycarelady 01:06 PM 10-03-2013
I am so glad she was able to get the formula. This government furlough is so far reaching.......it really is unbelievable!
SilverSabre25 01:07 PM 10-03-2013
Just, ((HUGS)) to you, to her, to those babies you do so much for.
Cradle2crayons 01:11 PM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Just, ((HUGS)) to you, to her, to those babies you do so much for.
Thanks. I love these babies like my own, which is a good thing because in the event the unthinkable happens, they WILL be my own.

I just wish I could do more.
sahm1225 06:07 PM 10-03-2013
please - tell her to write down her Christmas wish list. We used to adopt a family every year for Christmas until I had my own child w special needs. I've received many blessings the past year and a half and it's time to pay back. Tell her to let me adopt them for Xmas.
butterfly 06:11 PM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
You are right, I'm just saying I would make sure my kids are fed before I pay anything else. If she is working, her kids should eat, even if that's the only thing that happens.
Cradle2crayons 06:55 PM 10-03-2013
You are right, I'm just saying I would make sure my kids are fed before I pay anything else. If she is working, her kids should eat, even if that's the only thing that happens.
Butterfly... The toddler is TUBE FED. she doesn't EAT. And her formula is $200 a day. Can you afford $6,000 a month? I can't.
Cradle2crayons 06:58 PM 10-03-2013
If she will do what's necessary to get her kids the things they needs, then maybe she should set her pride aside and accept handouts.

I will never understand people who say they are too proud to accept charity but have no issues using government assistance programs like WIC. Same thing.

Before anyone gets their panties in a wad, I am not saying anything bad about accepting or using government assistance programs.

I am just pointing out that a mother who has a child in need can't be picky about where the help comes from.

No one has ever choked swallowing their pride.
I think we define handouts a little different. As I said in my previous post, when it comes to the kids, she will do what's necessary. She doesn't accept things for herself but when it comes to her kids, if worse comes to worse, she'll accept.

Geesh poor woman... Half of you are hanging her because she gets wic the oer half are hanging her because you don't think she gets enough handouts because she's too proud.

Nobody ever said she was too proud. I said she don't expect something for nothing nor does she expect society to take care of her family.

Wic and other programs were designed for people like her who actually does work and still is below poverty. They were never intended for the lazy no good deadbeat parents to take advantage of.
se7en 07:04 PM 10-03-2013
The price of the formula sounds off.Did she specifically tell you that is what the price is ? I know a few families who pay for their children's tube food, and I asked them, they said maybe 250 a month. Maybe a social worker told her that the formula as is 200 a day, but she should check it out on her own.
Cradle2crayons 07:08 PM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
please - tell her to write down her Christmas wish list. We used to adopt a family every year for Christmas until I had my own child w special needs. I've received many blessings the past year and a half and it's time to pay back. Tell her to let me adopt them for Xmas.
Oh wow, that's very generous of you!!! I'll call her. I better buy a box of Kleenex before she comes by tomorrow.

She had a bad tire on her car last month and it blew out and left them stranded. A I offered to replace her tire and she could pay me back. She refused. So i went and picked up the kids and called a friend of mine who went out to where she was and put a tire on her car. She was so grateful she came and cleaned my house from top to bottom TWICE for a $25 used tire. Gosh I was very grateful for the house cleaning!

She's really a great lady. And she's always the first to think of others. And she's a great mom. She rushes here to get her babies and she really enjoys spending every minute she can with them. I don't get daycare moms like her often. And you can tell because her babies are healthy and happy and well adjusted children. I can't imagine having to leave my baby at the hospital to go work a shift knowing she's there crying because her mama isn't there because somebody has to work. But she does it. A LOT.

The baby is really too young for toys or anything but he always needs clothes etc. heck The toddler doesn't have many toys at her house so I'm sure there wouldn't be a duplicate but ill talk to mom and see if she has anything in mind, because we are working with her a lot with fine motor and physical therapy type play every day.

Again, that is so very generous of you. I'll PM yu when I know more.
Cradle2crayons 07:10 PM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by se7en:
The price of the formula sounds off.Did she specifically tell you that is what the price is ? I know a few families who pay for their children's tube food, and I asked them, they said maybe 250 a month. Maybe a social worker told her that the formula as is 200 a day, but she should check it out on her own.
It's not the typical tube fed formula. Plus There's a calorie additive. Plus the cost of the bag it goes in. Doesn't sound off to me.... I've priced the formula, bag, and additive.
butterfly 07:28 PM 10-03-2013
Butterfly... The toddler is TUBE FED. she doesn't EAT. And her formula is $200 a day. Can you afford $6,000 a month? I can't.
Sorry to offend you... just giving my opinion.
Cradle2crayons 07:30 PM 10-03-2013
Sorry to offend you... just giving my opinion.
I'm not offended. I was stating fact. It wouldn't matter what bills I didn't pay, there would be no way I could afford that cost alone.
Childminder 08:05 PM 10-03-2013
Dh is on a script that cost $2000 a month and when he lost his job and our insurance ran out the drug company stepped up and is supplying the drug.

Maybe she could contact the company, or her pediatrician would, to see if they have a hardship provision within their company, many do.
Cradle2crayons 08:15 PM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Dh is on a script that cost $2000 a month and when he lost his job and our insurance ran out the drug company stepped up and is supplying the drug.

Maybe she could contact the company, or her pediatrician would, to see if they have a hardship provision within their company, many do.
Yes that's a good idea. We went ahead and emailed them in anticipation that there's an issue. She will run out of formula before the end of the month because wic only gives her 16 cans a month and she actually needs 18 cans. She makes do because she gets extra when the girl is inpatient and using hospital formula.

We called the pediatrician to see if he or the nutritionist wrote a script if Medicaid would pay for the bags, formula, etc supplies and we haven't heard back yet on either.

Se called the children's hospital because that's e pharmacy she uses for medication to check there too because the hospital gets the formula when she goes inpatient so surely the hospital pharmacy can get it. Waiting to hear back from them too.

Any other ideas let me know, well make more calls tomorrow.
SilverSabre25 08:16 PM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Sweetie you beat me to it!
Cradle2crayons 08:41 PM 10-03-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Sweetie you beat me to it!
Y'all are both very sweet and kind hearted.
Scout 03:49 AM 10-04-2013
Wow, my heart goes put to this woman and you! These kids are so very lucky to have you!! I am so glad she was able to get her toddler's formula and pray that this shut down doesnt last to the end of the month.
Cradle2crayons 05:10 AM 10-04-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
Wow, my heart goes put to this woman and you! These kids are so very lucky to have you!! I am so glad she was able to get her toddler's formula and pray that this shut down doesnt last to the end of the month.
Thanks!! We weren't as worried about the newborns formula because it can be bought in a store, if absolutely necessary.

And I'm happy she got KY's formula also. Huge worry taken care of.
momofsix 06:54 AM 10-04-2013
That mother is so blessed to have you taking care of her children and advocating for them (and her). Praying it all works our for her.
Cradle2crayons 07:02 AM 10-04-2013
Originally Posted by momofsix:
That mother is so blessed to have you taking care of her children and advocating for them (and her). Praying it all works our for her.
Thanks!! I love both of these babies so much.

Mom says its not fair that ky first word was JACK .. Which is my 35 lb cat. She loves that fat cat... And he loves her... As soon as she comes into the house, Jack runs (which is saying something for him lol) and gets into her lap... The few times he hasn't shown up ky will throw her hands out and say "where's jack" lol

She CAN say mama but when her mama says "ky say mama.." She says " no, jack" instead lol

Let me see if I can attach a picture of her and Jack. Don't be alarmed, the cat is bigger than she is lol.
Attached: image.jpg (59.7 KB) 
MommieNana4 10:28 AM 10-04-2013
Where is the father?
No more kids (birth control)

As a former welfare recipient, I eventually saw the handwriting on the wall. I was going to be forever dependent on the system (government whether local, state for federal) until my child was 18, or I had to make a change in my life to make a better one for my child.

Regardless of what type of assistance that is provided and from whom (gov't), a person has to change their mindset as to what the future can/will be for their children. This is the biggest thing that got me to go into the Navy over 20 years ago.

There is a lot of sacrifice (in any job/profession, etc.), but it can be done. As I tell my grandchildren, "Life is about choices, make good ones." They are 10 and 8 (not over 18). I stopped the welfare cycle!
Scout 10:35 AM 10-04-2013
Originally Posted by MommieNana4:
Where is the father?

As a former welfare recipient, I eventually saw the handwriting on the wall. I was going to be forever dependent on the system (government whether local, state for federal) until my child was 18, or I had to make a change in my life to make a better one for my child.

Regardless of what type of assistance that is provided and from whom (gov't), a person has to change their mindset as to what the future can/will be for their children. This is the biggest thing that got me to go into the Navy over 20 years ago.

There is a lot of sacrifice (in any job/profession, etc.), but it can be done. As I tell my grandchildren, "Life is about choices, make good ones." They are 10 and 8 (not over 18). I stopped the welfare cycle!
Wow! I don't know if you meant it this way but, this comes off as VERY judgmental! Whether you have been there or not does not give you the right to say tht this mom needs to be on birth control and have no more children. No one even said if she was planning on havong any more kids and, quite frankly, that is not for us to state or decide for her. She is blessed to have this woman care so deeply for her. I am shocken anyone even wrote this about this situation.
logged out 11:52 AM 10-04-2013
My kiddo has severe food issues,
1. Call her doc, they can occassionally get some for kiddos like this.
2. Facebook has an EOS and formula exchange where these special types of formulas can be exchanged. Even bags, tubes etc. Needs change and people have extra supplies, switch formula etc and dont want extras to go to waste.
3. Call the manufacturer, Neocate, Elecare, Nutricia are good about special circumstances.
My3cents 12:06 PM 10-04-2013
I think we define handouts a little different. As I said in my previous post, when it comes to the kids, she will do what's necessary. She doesn't accept things for herself but when it comes to her kids, if worse comes to worse, she'll accept.

Geesh poor woman... Half of you are hanging her because she gets wic the oer half are hanging her because you don't think she gets enough handouts because she's too proud.

Nobody ever said she was too proud. I said she don't expect something for nothing nor does she expect society to take care of her family.

Wic and other programs were designed for people like her who actually does work and still is below poverty. They were never intended for the lazy no good deadbeat parents to take advantage of.
I think you lumped me into the wrong sum..... I am all for helping those that help themselves. Don't get me confused- I am not for helping people that make living off help a way of life

I do believe there is a very small % of working poverty poor, poor. Today those people are far and few between. Most people just want want want and wonder and use up energy trying to figure out why its not being handed to them instead of getting a job and doing something.
Cradle2crayons 12:37 PM 10-04-2013
Originally Posted by Scout:
Wow! I don't know if you meant it this way but, this comes off as VERY judgmental! Whether you have been there or not does not give you the right to say tht this mom needs to be on birth control and have no more children. No one even said if she was planning on havong any more kids and, quite frankly, that is not for us to state or decide for her. She is blessed to have this woman care so deeply for her. I am shocken anyone even wrote this about this situation.
Ikr!! For information, she was on birth control when she got pregnant with KY. after KY was born, she had her tubes tied. As soon as she got the list of medical problems, and while KY was on life support, the dad left and never came back.

She got pregnant with CJ after her tubes were tied.
Cradle2crayons 12:39 PM 10-04-2013
I think you lumped me into the wrong sum..... I am all for helping those that help themselves. Don't get me confused- I am not for helping people that make living off help a way of life

I do believe there is a very small % of working poverty poor, poor. Today those people are far and few between. Most people just want want want and wonder and use up energy trying to figure out why its not being handed to them instead of getting a job and doing something.
I don't disagree. But as my posts have shown, this mother isn't to be lumped into the category explained by your post. As why it shouldn't have ever been said.
Cradle2crayons 12:41 PM 10-04-2013
Originally Posted by MommieNana4:
Where is the father?

All I have to say about this post is SHAME ON YOU.

This mom gets WIC only. And as a tax payer, working two jobs, she isn't on any "welfare cycle". She pays taxes. She works two jobs. And despite birth control and even a tubal ligation, she has two beautiful kids,

You post as if she's asking for handouts. I simply asked for ideas and options to assist with the fragile child's formula.

Go break the welfare cycle in another post please.
Sunshine75 01:05 PM 10-04-2013
Providers it is time to move on! OP posted about help getting special formula for a family and you have turned it into a political/government post. This is a daycare forum and now that we know she is getting the help she needs we can go on. I, for one, am grateful they figured something out and feel for this woman who is doing all that she can to provide for her kiddos.
Cradle2crayons 01:06 PM 10-04-2013
Originally Posted by Sunshine75:
Providers it is time to move on! OP posted about help getting special formula for a family and you have turned it into a political/government post. This is a daycare forum and now that we know she is getting the help she needs we can go on. I, for one, am grateful they figured something out and feel for this woman who is doing all that she can to provide for her kiddos.
Thank you. Perfectly agree.
SilverSabre25 01:09 PM 10-04-2013
Thanks! I was putting on my Moderator Hat and getting ready to suggest that everyone knock it off (Not you C2C...but the rest of the people being unhelpful as to the purpose of the post). It has ceased to be a useful, informative discussion and devolved instead into a series of baseless character judgements on a stranger or class or strangers.

In other words, knock it off...
Sunshine75 01:12 PM 10-04-2013
Your welcome . Figured we deal with enough stress and negativity in our days some days and don't need to feel that way when we come to a forum to SUPPORT fellow daycare providers.
Cradle2crayons 01:13 PM 10-04-2013
Your welcome . Figured we deal with enough stress and negativity in our days some days and don't need to feel that way when we come to a forum to SUPPORT fellow daycare providers.
And I do very much appreciate all of the positive thoughts and helpful ideas
Scout 01:28 PM 10-04-2013
I'm done. Sorry Silver and everyone else-That was one I could not ignore...I believe in sticking up for people when I truly feel they were wronged.
Unregistered 02:33 PM 10-04-2013
If the child is receiving any kind of therapy for the feeding issues, mom could also check in with the clinic. Often when a family switches formulas, they may donate any leftovers for emergencies just such as these. Our local feeding clinic has a bit of a stockpile of extensions, bags, and various formulas.

Worst case scenario, take the child to the ER. I hope mom gets what kiddo needs!
Unregistered 03:01 PM 10-04-2013
I am going through my children's clothing that does not fit anymore. What gender and size is needed? If I have anything I could mail it to you! I would love to help if I can!!
Cradle2crayons 03:10 PM 10-04-2013
If the child is receiving any kind of therapy for the feeding issues, mom could also check in with the clinic. Often when a family switches formulas, they may donate any leftovers for emergencies just such as these. Our local feeding clinic has a bit of a stockpile of extensions, bags, and various formulas.

Worst case scenario, take the child to the ER. I hope mom gets what kiddo needs!
Good idea but she's not in a feeding clinic. She's exclusively tube fed.
Cradle2crayons 03:11 PM 10-04-2013
I am going through my children's clothing that does not fit anymore. What gender and size is needed? If I have anything I could mail it to you! I would love to help if I can!!
Thanks so much!!! The girl wears size 12 months and she can't wear anything not elastic in the waist because if her feeding tube but no other restrictions.

The baby wears 3-6 month old clothes.

That is very very generous of you and it's very much appreciated.
Unregistered 03:17 PM 10-04-2013
Thanks so much!!! The girl wears size 12 months and she can't wear anything not elastic in the waist because if her feeding tube but no other restrictions.

The baby wears 3-6 month old clothes.

That is very very generous of you and it's very much appreciated.

You are very welcome! I will go through it this weekend and gather what will work!
Cradle2crayons 03:23 PM 10-04-2013
You are very welcome! I will go through it this weekend and gather what will work!
Thanks again!!
Unregistered 09:52 AM 10-06-2013
I finally finished going through all the clothes!! I don't have anymore infant clothes. But I have 12 months to 18 months boy clothes. I can mail them to you for him to grow into later. It's up to you!
Cradle2crayons 09:54 AM 10-06-2013
I finally finished going through all the clothes!! I don't have anymore infant clothes. But I have 12 months to 18 months boy clothes. I can mail them to you for him to grow into later. It's up to you!
That is so very generous of you!! And as long as its not an inconvenience for y they would be greatly appreciated!!!

I'd pm you my address but um... There's just a tiny problem with that lol.

Would it be better for you to email me?? ibebackie@aol.com
Unregistered 10:11 AM 10-06-2013
I just emailed you.
Cradle2crayons 10:23 AM 10-06-2013
I just emailed you.
Thanks so much, I will check it in a minute
Sugar Magnolia 12:10 PM 10-06-2013
The shut down continues.
What is going to happen to her formula supply for next month?
Has anything been resolved permanently for her?
Surely there are others in this exact situation!
This needs publicity, no American will tolerate a tube feed child being starved due to CONGRESS.
SOMETHING has to give, this poor lady can't keep being put through this, waiting and waiting for Congress to act.
Where is the outage? Where is the media? This shutdown needs a face, this child is that face.

C2C.....thank you for bringing the inhumanity of this shutdown out into the daylight. And thank you for caring. Really, what could be MORE IMPORTANT than a child being denied tubal feeding? Its the ugliest thing I've heard of happening due to the shut down. Yes, its sad the Smithsonian and the Lincoln memorial are closed and people can't visit Yosemite. But this is human life we are taking about.

I want to keep this thread going until this mom has been assured her baby's food will be available November 1st, and every first of the month.
slorey 12:28 PM 10-06-2013
C2c, message me your address and I will be happy to send you some clothes for the baby. Not sure what the weather is like there. Should I send warm weather or cold weather clothing? Here in NY, we need cold weather clothing 3/4 of the year I am performing 37 acts of giving for my upcoming 37th birthday and this seems like a good place to start. I can send either 3-6 month or 6-9 month sizes, or a mix of both. Let me know what she needs most. Thanks! I do have some girls clothing as well, but the smallest size I have left is 3t. Not sure if you want me to send a few things or not? Seems like it will be awhile before she would grow into them.
Cradle2crayons 12:31 PM 10-06-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
The shut down continues.
What is going to happen to her formula supply for next month?
Has anything been resolved permanently for her?
Surely there are others in this exact situation!
This needs publicity, no American will tolerate a tube feed child being starved due to CONGRESS.
SOMETHING has to give, this poor lady can't keep being put through this, waiting and waiting for Congress to act.
Where is the outage? Where is the media? This shutdown needs a face, this child is that face.

C2C.....thank you for bringing the inhumanity of this shutdown out into the daylight. And thank you for caring. Really, what could be MORE IMPORTANT than a child being denied tubal feeding? Its the ugliest thing I've heard of happening due to the shut down. Yes, its sad the Smithsonian and the Lincoln memorial are closed and people can't visit Yosemite. But this is human life we are taking about.

I want to keep this thread going until this mom has been assured her baby's food will be available November 1st, and every first of the month.
Couldn't have said it better myself. And we have no idea where next months will come from. She already has to fight for the two extra cans WIC doesn't want to give her every month because her rate went up a few months ago, but at least she does end up getting it.

We've made some calls and sent some emails so hopefully it'll be worked out one way or the other.

She went and picked up ky monthly meds just in case it trickles down to that. With her being hospitalized a lot, she usually has meds left over every month. So that way, she can stock up some extra just in case. One of them she COULD actually buy as an OTC pill, break it in fourths and crush it. But her cardiac medication can only come one way. Hopefully those on Medicaid and Medicare won't have issues getting their medications if this continues.

I think it's really easy for the media and others to see what, to them, are bigger issues and forget about see the issues lost in the cracks.
Sugar Magnolia 12:31 PM 10-06-2013
Thanks!! I love both of these babies so much.

Mom says its not fair that ky first word was JACK .. Which is my 35 lb cat. She loves that fat cat... And he loves her... As soon as she comes into the house, Jack runs (which is saying something for him lol) and gets into her lap... The few times he hasn't shown up ky will throw her hands out and say "where's jack" lol

She CAN say mama but when her mama says "ky say mama.." She says " no, jack" instead lol

Let me see if I can attach a picture of her and Jack. Don't be alarmed, the cat is bigger than she is lol.
That picture says it all. What a beautiful child, left in nutritional limbo because of this ridiculous lack of funding.

Who is your congressional representative?
Cradle2crayons 12:35 PM 10-06-2013
That picture says it all. What a beautiful child, left in nutritional limbo because of this ridiculous lack of funding.

Who is your congressional representative?
Greg Harper, 3rd congressional district is MY representative.
Sugar Magnolia 12:59 PM 10-06-2013
Greg Harper, 3rd congressional district is MY representative.
Call to action forum members. Contact Rep. Harper. I'm not link savvy. Who can help w a link?
How can we get this story to Dr. Sanjay Gupta over at CNN ? Seriously, there is a baby in Mississippi that is running out of food. I don't give a hoot about the wider politics, this baby doesn't have a political affiliation, she just wants to NOT starve.
Sugar Magnolia 01:27 PM 10-06-2013
I dunno. By the looks of Mr. Harper's website, he appears to be part of the problem.:

Evansmom 01:43 PM 10-06-2013
I sent an email to Dr. Gupta at CNN imploring them to do a story on how this ridiculous government shut down is affecting the smallest and weakest of us. I linked this thread.

C2C I have been reading this thread but not commenting up until now. I'm a former single mom/WIC family who worked hard and got off assistance years ago. I'd like to help anyway that I can too. Please tell me how I can help and I'd love to send what they need for the upcoming holidays along with the others who are offering support.

Back when I needed help, many helped us. I want to pay it forward.
Starburst 02:37 PM 10-06-2013
Even if you can't get to CNN, try (with mom's permission of course) to contact your local newspaper or news station. Maybe she can get donations or organization leaders/charities that will be willing to help her children. If she wants to protect her and her children's identity they can also stay anonymous, the station/paper will just tell the story and make up a name and the station can forward donations or any other information to her house.
Sugar Magnolia 02:52 PM 10-06-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
Even if you can't get to CNN, try (with mom's permission of course) to contact your local newspaper or news station. Maybe she can get donations or organization leaders/charities that will be willing to help her children. If she wants to protect her and her children's identity they can also stay anonymous, the station/paper will just tell the story and make up a name and the station can forward donations or any other information to her house.
Excellent ideas!
Act local, think global.
Maybe local news will carry it, and Dr. Gupta will pick it up.
I hear rumblings the shut down could last weeks. That could put this baby into December until her supply is restored? Unacceptable in these United States.
Cradle2crayons 03:55 PM 10-06-2013
I dunno. By the looks of Mr. Harper's website, he appears to be part of the problem.:
Yes, he's been part of the problem a long time. Including Thad Cochran and he rest of them. There IS a Reason MS is last in everything.
Cradle2crayons 04:00 PM 10-06-2013
Originally Posted by Evansmom:
I sent an email to Dr. Gupta at CNN imploring them to do a story on how this ridiculous government shut down is affecting the smallest and weakest of us. I linked this thread.

C2C I have been reading this thread but not commenting up until now. I'm a former single mom/WIC family who worked hard and got off assistance years ago. I'd like to help anyway that I can too. Please tell me how I can help and I'd love to send what they need for the upcoming holidays along with the others who are offering support.

Back when I needed help, many helped us. I want to pay it forward.
Thanks for emailing hopefully well have a favorable response!

That's awesome you were able to get off of assistance and are wanting to pay it forward. That's very kind of you. You are welcome to send anything you want. No stress or pressure. They are grateful for any kindness. They also have no issues with goodwill close and second hand things. When ky was trying to learn to crawl I bought her one of those standing things to give her support and mom accepted. Within just a few weeks, she was standing!

I will PM you the address information and you can do anything y feel led to do. Just as I've told others, don't put yourself in a bind though. Everyone has been so kind to help out where they can!!

Thanks again!!
Cradle2crayons 04:06 PM 10-06-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
We have a local agency who claims to stand up for the people around here. Rod news stories on how to help people when the city or state won't. I'm going to talk to mom about this. Great idea. Thanks!
misslori50 02:02 PM 10-07-2013
the new health care wont be in effect for months
Michael 02:25 PM 10-07-2013
This just gave me an idea. How about a new category for those that want to give away items? https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65702

During tough times maybe there are those of you that wish to help others. It would be purely between the two parties (members Only). Just trying to give the idea legs and a place to meet.
Sugar Magnolia 02:40 PM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
This just gave me an idea. How about a new category for those that want to give away items? During tough times maybe there are those of you that wish to help others. Maybe the recipient can pay for delivery of the items. It would be purely between the two parties (members Only). Just trying to give the idea legs and a place to meet.

Cradle2crayons 05:14 PM 10-07-2013
This just gave me an idea. How about a new category for those that want to give away items? https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65702

During tough times maybe there are those of you that wish to help others. It would be purely between the two parties (members Only). Just trying to give the idea legs and a place to meet.
That sounds awesome Michael thanks!! We do a lot throughout the year also. My kids love doing for others when we are able.
Scout 05:58 PM 10-07-2013

Great idea Michael! Now, we can pay it forward!!
CedarCreek 06:17 PM 10-07-2013
I wish I would have seen this the other day. I've been holed up in a depressive state and refusing the Internet!

My ds is tube fed and when he was younger, we had to evacuate for hurricane ike and we ran out of supplies. I too was on WIC and that's who was providing his formula. I couldn't buy it anywhere. His medical equipment suppliers had evacuated as well. I went to the hospital. They gave me his formula and some medical supplies and put me in touch with a local supplier who gave me some emergency tanks of oxygen as ds was also on oxygen 24/7.

So, that would be my advice would be for her to take the child to the hospital if she has to next month and explain her very serious situation. Hopefully they will help.
Michael 06:20 PM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
I wish I would have seen this the other day. I've been holed up in a depressive state and refusing the Internet!
Understand, at least the internet can connect you to those that can relate, 24/7. I see the internet more as an asset then a liability.
Cradle2crayons 06:23 PM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:

My ds is tube fed and when he was younger, we had to evacuate for hurricane ike and we ran out of supplies. I too was on WIC and that's who was providing his formula. I couldn't buy it anywhere. His medical equipment suppliers had evacuated as well. I went to the hospital. They gave me his formula and some medical supplies and put me in touch with a local supplier who gave me some emergency tanks of oxygen as ds was also on oxygen 24/7.

So, that would be my advice would be for her to take the child to the hospital if she has to next month and explain her very serious situation. Hopefully they will help.
Yes, that would be the last resort. Every time she goes there she catches something horrible. Last time they gave her an infection in her picc line and it took four separate admissions, 12 weeks, 3 additional weeks of if antibiotics, an IJ central line, daily shots twice a day.... And even more well leave to the imagination.

Going into any place like that is a last resort. But certainly better than starving. For sure! But yes, it's an option.
CedarCreek 06:23 PM 10-07-2013
Understand, at least the internet can connect you to those that can relate, 24/7. I see the internet more as an asset then a liability.
Thanks, Michael. . I get to where I don't want to talk to anyone sometimes, not even Internet friends. I'm working on it, though.
CedarCreek 06:25 PM 10-07-2013
Yes, that would be the last resort. Every time she goes there she catches something horrible. Last time they gave her an infection in her picc line and it took four separate admissions, 12 weeks, 3 additional weeks of if antibiotics, an IJ central line, daily shots twice a day.... And even more well leave to the imagination.

Going into any place like that is a last resort. But certainly better than starving. For sure! But yes, it's an option.
Yes, that is always scary when you have an immuno compromised child. I totally get that. Poor baby.
Childminder 07:42 PM 10-07-2013
C2C maybe this would help? They are looking for stories of what this shutdown is doing to the children we care for.

NAEYClogo
NAEYC CHILDREN’S CHAMPIONS
OCTOBER 7, 2013

Federal Funding ALERT!

We are now in day 7 of the federal government shutdown.

We know that many early childhood providers and other services that children and families receive have had funding cuts from sequestration, and now have the added blow of cuts to programs or furloughs of important governmental staff as a result of the federal government shutdown. Twenty-three Head Start programs did not receive their new grant on October 1 because new/renewed grant funds cannot be processed during a shutdown. One state has furloughed 150 child care licensing staff. Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) and WIC funds to states should last through October. It is overdue to have a responsible resolution of the appropriations for the current fiscal year for the entire government, to ensure our national and global economic security with a clean debt ceiling vote, and to help children and families have access to early childhood, nutrition, health and other important services that help them and our nation thrive.

Please read the statement NAEYC put out this afternoon – Whole Child, Whole Budget – on the need to move forward with a real budget, using real appropriations bills and the right investments. The proposed approach in the House of Representatives to fund one program at a time for a few months is not workable. Effective governing requires a stable, well-invested federal budget, including early childhood education, child nutrition, health and other services that help all of America prosper.

When does it get better? There needs to be a decision to move forward with the funding for this fiscal year. There needs to be a clean vote to raise the debt limit (as has been done in the past) so that the country can pay its bills.

ACTION NEEDED!

Stay tuned over the next 24 hours for an alert with information on how to reach members of Congress this week.

Tweet using #justvote. Here are some samples (remember no more than 140 characters).

Children and families deserve a federal budget that invests in them on behalf of all of us.
Don't delay any longer. Pass the funding bills, invest in children now.
Whole budget is needed to support the whole child and family.

Share this alert on your Facebook.

Tell us your stories! How are the cuts impacting you and the families you work with? Send your stories to advocacy@naeyc.org.
Sugar Magnolia 06:47 AM 10-11-2013
Looking for an update........
Tags:government, government intrusion, government shut down
1 2 
Reply Up