Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gave Term To New Family, Feel Bad
providerandmomof4 03:59 PM 05-02-2013
So i just gave term to new dcb family. I feel bad. He just started 3 weeks ago, but i found out a few days ago that i would need to let someone go cause my 2 pt dcb will go full time when school is out.
So have had several probs with new dcm(pmnts late, no call when late or just plain doesnt come) Also..i feel like dcb was having a tough time with the rules and i was constantly talking to him about my expectations...blah,blah..it was in one ear with him and his mom.
So why do i feel bad? I guess i want every family to walk away with good vibes toward me and my dc, but it just doesnt happen that way
Little Star75 11:52 PM 05-02-2013
I feel you on this one, I termed a family almost a month ago and it feels like DCP gave me bad vibes. Ever since they left I haven't had any calls and now my other family just gave me a two-week notice so now I have 4 slots open.
providerandmomof4 07:36 AM 05-03-2013
I think one of the reasons i feel bad is because i gave her a letter that has "Termination Notice" very large at the top. Theres got to be a nicer way to give notice.
I hate feeling as if I'm firing someone. And i dont think they like it either. Anyone have a nicer way of terming?
AmyKidsCo 07:51 AM 05-03-2013
I never thought about the Termination Notice thing before. I should think of a different way to do my form too.

It's hard, but since he was the last enrolled it makes sense he'd be the first to go.
RosieMommy 01:42 PM 05-03-2013
Originally Posted by providerandmomof4:
I think one of the reasons i feel bad is because i gave her a letter that has "Termination Notice" very large at the top. Theres got to be a nicer way to give notice.
I hate feeling as if I'm firing someone. And i dont think they like it either. Anyone have a nicer way of terming?
It's business. As a parent, seriously, I can't think of a nice way of telling someone you don't want to or can't provide care for their child anymore. Even if delivered in a pretty package, no parent is ever going to like hearing that.
providerandmomof4 07:34 AM 05-04-2013
So...just thought I'd let you guys know that my dcm that I gave notice to.....didn't show up yesterday (payday for upcoming week) I kinda figured as much. I'm thinking I should have just termed immediately because we are still in our "trial period" which I have in my policies handbook doesn't require notice, but....I was trying to be nice and give her a weeks notice. Now I figure that she is probably not coming back because now she will have late fees, etc....but then again, I wouldn't put it past her to show up on my porch on Monday or even Tues, with a very late pmnt... ugh!
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 05-04-2013
Instead of writing Termination Notice so large on the paper, I just write a personal little note and place it in a business size envelope and tell the parent face to face that I am "discontinuing our agreement for care" and then hand them the envelope.

I try to make the letter professional and not personal but as friendly still as I can. I too, hate when people feel like they've been fired.

I also think that in the future, any time you need to term while still in your trial period you should definitely just make it effective immediately. It's simply easier for both parties that way.

If you really want to be nice and offer extended care ~ two more weeks like you did, I would just do that on a case by case basis.

Also, instead of waiting to see if DCM shows up on Monday morning, I would shoot her a quick text letting her know that if she does choose to use you for that final two weeks of care you offered, she will need to have $xxx.xx amount of money to cover the tuition and late fees with her at drop off NOT pick up time.

That way she knows and you don't have to have an awkward conversation with her right away Monday morning.
Reply Up