Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Deductible If Spouse Paid The Bill?
abryann 05:03 PM 01-26-2014
I started my home daycare a few months ago, so I'm trying to figure out all of this confusing tax stuff for the first time. I know there are tax deductions that can be claimed for things like mortgage, insurance, utility bills, etc. However, a lot of the large bills we have (like mortgage and some of the utility bills) are paid by my husband, out of his bank account. He is also the one that goes grocery shopping, so the things that he buys at the store that I use for the daycare (diaper wipes, cleaning products, soaps, etc) are bought with his credit card. Can I still deduct these things? Or can I only deduct things that are paid for by me and/or my bank account? If that is the case, I won't be able to deduct very many things, as I don't make enough to pay all of the bills. Thanks in advance!
Naptime yet? 05:59 PM 01-26-2014
I want to say yes, I ran into the same problem last year & read in one of Tom's books that you can still deduct the expense. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong....
TomCopeland 07:36 AM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by abryann:
I started my home daycare a few months ago, so I'm trying to figure out all of this confusing tax stuff for the first time. I know there are tax deductions that can be claimed for things like mortgage, insurance, utility bills, etc. However, a lot of the large bills we have (like mortgage and some of the utility bills) are paid by my husband, out of his bank account. He is also the one that goes grocery shopping, so the things that he buys at the store that I use for the daycare (diaper wipes, cleaning products, soaps, etc) are bought with his credit card. Can I still deduct these things? Or can I only deduct things that are paid for by me and/or my bank account? If that is the case, I won't be able to deduct very many things, as I don't make enough to pay all of the bills. Thanks in advance!
You can deduct as a business expense any items purchased by your husband. If you weren't married you could only deduct those items you paid for. Same sex couples who are legally married in their state can also claim expenses even if paid for by the other spouse.

Don’t miss my February 4th webinar “Tax Changes for 2013: How to Avoid Mistakes When Filling Out Your 2013 Tax Forms.” It starts at 9pm Eastern Time and is sponsored by Daycare.com. Register here:http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...&llr=yatrx4cab
MarinaVanessa 01:22 PM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
You can deduct as a business expense any items purchased by your husband. If you weren't married you could only deduct those items you paid for. Same sex couples who are legally married in their state can also claim expenses even if paid for by the other spouse.

Don’t miss my February 4th webinar “Tax Changes for 2013: How to Avoid Mistakes When Filling Out Your 2013 Tax Forms.” It starts at 9pm Eastern Time and is sponsored by Daycare.com. Register here:http://events.r20.constantcontact.co...&llr=yatrx4cab
Just out of curiosity ... is it the same if the couple has a domestic partnership?
TomCopeland 01:53 PM 01-27-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
Just out of curiosity ... is it the same if the couple has a domestic partnership?
No, it's not. Domestic partners are not recognized under federal (IRS) law. Therefore, domestic partners may only deduct expenses that they individually pay for.
grandmom 02:20 PM 01-27-2014
But if I bought the item from my domestic partner, couldn't I claim it then?
Tags:deduction
Reply Up