Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Key to Success - Opening New Before/After School Care
freshd 09:03 AM 01-24-2015
Hello,

I'm exploring the possibility of opening a before and afterschool care facility in Canada. I'm well aware of the rules and regulations and have begun looking for space, we've yet to decide whether it'll be commerical or residential space. I'd like some feedback from you fine folks about the key factors to success. The demand for before/afterschool care in our region is high and continues to grow. We're interested in provided an excellent, expectation shattering, experience for both parents and children. Essentially, we want people to be lining up to get into our care facility.

Questions:
- How pivotal is location? We're considering choosing a location a few miles away from school and providing transportation services. Whats the general consensus on location? Do parents prefer locations next to schools? Or are they receptive to our transportation service?

- Commercial space or house? Does it really matter?

- We'd like to have something in our facility that really makes it stand out and we're looking for suggestions. We considered things like climbing walk, gymnastics gear and interactive digital gaming. We're not completely sold on any of these options, liability being the issue with gymnastics/climbing walk and from our conversations with parents they aren't interested in their children playing any types of electronic games while in our care.

Your help is greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Dave
Laurel 02:59 PM 01-24-2015
Originally Posted by freshd:
Hello,

I'm exploring the possibility of opening a before and afterschool care facility in Canada. I'm well aware of the rules and regulations and have begun looking for space, we've yet to decide whether it'll be commerical or residential space. I'd like some feedback from you fine folks about the key factors to success. The demand for before/afterschool care in our region is high and continues to grow. We're interested in provided an excellent, expectation shattering, experience for both parents and children. Essentially, we want people to be lining up to get into our care facility.

Questions:
- How pivotal is location? We're considering choosing a location a few miles away from school and providing transportation services. Whats the general consensus on location? Do parents prefer locations next to schools? Or are they receptive to our transportation service?

- We'd like to have something in our facility that really makes it stand out and we're looking for suggestions. We considered things like climbing walk, gymnastics gear and interactive digital gaming. We're not completely sold on any of these options, liability being the issue with gymnastics/climbing walk and from our conversations with parents they aren't interested in their children playing any types of electronic games while in our care.

Dave
I think parents would like their children to have their homework done before they leave if possible, be active with a nice age appropriate playground equipment or physical activities, arts/crafts and a healthy snack.

One after school program my granddaughter attended had after school classes done by outside people. She was in a dancing class. You could have teachers come in and hold their classes right there (of course, you'd have to charge more) but it would save the parents from taking them elsewhere for lessons. Dance, art, karate, cheerleading, sports, etc.

If you don't want others coming in I'd have jump ropes, balls, sidewalk chalk, skates, etc. for older kids. I'd even let them bring their own bike to keep there if you have a big enough area for bike riding. Oh wouldn't a bike riding trail be cool? Maybe I'm going beyond your budget a tad.

Just some possibilities.

Laurel
freshd 06:58 PM 01-25-2015
Thank you, those are wonderful suggestions.
MsLisa 10:35 AM 01-26-2015
I am the Aftercare Program Coordinator for my local YMCA so maybe I can help!

- How pivotal is location?
I think location is very important. Ours is 8 min away from the school and almost smack in the middle of the city. Easy to get to from major highways and local businesses. Just make sure to have good parking!

- Do parents prefer locations next to schools?
Ours being so close is rather nice but not sure if that matters much. I think just being easy to get to is more important.

Or are they receptive to our transportation service?
- The kids use specific school buses to get to us. I have also seen some vans pull up to the school from other before & aftercare programs. I think it's rather convenient, especially in bad weather/2hr delay/early dismissals.

I've worked in both now, YMCA & my own in-home one.
Commercial space has the ability to bring in "outside" variety (i.e. dance, cheerleading, and other sports). More space and more variety.
Home is more personal, more like going to a friend's house after school. Comforts of home and more exploration of personal interests.

- We'd like to have something in our facility that really makes it stand out and we're looking for suggestions.
The 16 kids in my aftercare program LOVE LOVE LOVVVVEEE being active. Gym time is golden to them and so beneficial as they are looking for outlets after a long day of sitting still. So anything to promote active play is wonderful. Swimming and Karate are big in our building.
If they don't have gym time they are always fighting for Wii or computer time; for limited times of course. The girls love crafts and gymnastics. They all love healthy snacks, especially after a good gym time. If we could have anything I would love a designated quiet homework/study/reading room. It's hard to complete homework/read with a room of fun chaos going on around you.

I think personally the ability to switch it up is the key. Offer a lot of variety for every center. Offer different styles in art. Bring in people from different careers to teach. Provide a fun, safe place above all things.

Hope I helped!
Controlled Chaos 12:49 PM 01-26-2015
I think PPs are right - get their homework done! Offer tutoring. Maybe each day is a different tutoring focus? I think bringing in others to teach classes: dance, karate, tumbling, double dutch etc is nice.

I would say no to electronics in the gaming sense - but maybe desktops/tablets or something the kids get time with once their homework is done where they instructed in proper typing, creating code, make a website, make a movie with friends. Something extra fun yet with educational benefit.
Daycare Insurance 02:26 PM 01-27-2015
Originally Posted by freshd:
Hello,

Questions:

Dave
You've asked some great questions. Id like to take a moment to address them from a risk management standpoint, which might assist other people in similar situations.

I am not sure about the auto insurance industry in Canada but if its anything like the US I can promise you that anytime you get into a car with children your risk increases exponentially. Here in the US, to do any transportation for a business that IS NOT "Carpooling" you are technically required to carry a commercial auto policy for livery or transportation for business purposes. These policies can be expensive, so keep that in mind when considering transporting children.

Commercial vs In home location is a great question. The premiums for liability insurance are actually pretty similar if you are taking care of a low number of children say under 30. (you will likely only be licensed for up to 15 or less in a in home) However, the premiums for workers comp, property insurance etc can be slightly more expensive.
I would think the best way to answer this question is to do some research on your community. There are some communities which seem to favor in-home based cares and there are some that favor commercial based care. In my experience I find that metropolitan areas are prone to favor commercial centers over in homes.

Best of luck on your journey!
freshd 07:03 AM 02-02-2015
This is wonderful feedback. I'll continue doing some research and I'm sure I'll have more questions, thank you all for your time and help.
Reply Up