Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>NAFCC Cost To Help Military Clients Worth It?
Unregistered 02:28 PM 04-11-2017
I am in San Antonio and it is a huge military town. Bases are backed up big time for their childcare. I have two military families and was looking at the qualifications to get on the military respite/daycare reimbursement program to help them out.

Problem is I don't have a CDA an the only other option is the NAFCC. Both are time consuming and expensive!

I feel bad saying sorry it isn't worth it but $1200 to get a certification when I already have waiting list?

Granted I am sure I will learn stuff and helps make my daycare more legit looking. But wondering if it is worth it?

Anyone know of any grants in Texas that pays for this stuff? I already have a Bachelors in an unrelated field, so I doubt I will qualify for any CDA grants.

Thanks guys. Last NAFCC thread I saw was a couple years old.
Leigh 05:44 PM 04-11-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am in San Antonio and it is a huge military town. Bases are backed up big time for their childcare. I have two military families and was looking at the qualifications to get on the military respite/daycare reimbursement program to help them out.

Problem is I don't have a CDA an the only other option is the NAFCC. Both are time consuming and expensive!

I feel bad saying sorry it isn't worth it but $1200 to get a certification when I already have waiting list?

Granted I am sure I will learn stuff and helps make my daycare more legit looking. But wondering if it is worth it?

Anyone know of any grants in Texas that pays for this stuff? I already have a Bachelors in an unrelated field, so I doubt I will qualify for any CDA grants.

If the parents REALLY want you on the program, I'd ask them to pay for the certs, since it is for THEM and not for you. That way, it's on them whether they get the assistance or not.
Blackcat31 05:30 AM 04-12-2017

Is this something you would use or that would be useful for you in the future?

If so, I think you should invest the time and money into earning your CDA. The knowledge is totally useful and I think it shows clients you are willing to go that extra bit to learn what you can about the field you are working in.

IIRCC, most the Child Care Aware offices have scholarships or grants (T.E.A.C.H. is one of them) that will help you with the cost of earning the CDA as well as books, travel time and substitute reimbursements.

It might not be useful to this family looking now but imagine the families it would bring in since you live in an area that can meet the need.
Unregistered 05:47 AM 04-12-2017
Yeah that is too much to even ask. It is just my heart hurting because the military can say all day they have programs in place to help their parents, then the facilities are full and the requirements for the providers off base don't make it cost effective for anyone to comply with them. So the parents are paying local full price. But I have a business to run. CDA is useless to me personally.

If anyone can speak to the NAFCC and the supposed benefits that are offered I would appreciate it. Training opportunities seem interesting. But not sold on it yet.
Blackcat31 06:00 AM 04-12-2017
Yeah that is too much to even ask. It is just my heart hurting because the military can say all day they have programs in place to help their parents, then the facilities are full and the requirements for the providers off base don't make it cost effective for anyone to comply with them. So the parents are paying local full price. But I have a business to run. CDA is useless to me personally.

If anyone can speak to the NAFCC and the supposed benefits that are offered I would appreciate it. Training opportunities seem interesting. But not sold on it yet.
I am not understanding what you mean.... how are the training requirements for off base providers not cost effective? Child Care Aware and QRIS grants are practically giving away the training/education for free.

The requirements are having a CDA or a degree in ECE.

Those things signify "quality" care in a program according to most states and QRIS. The military isn't going to fund child care in programs that don't meet those requirements for quality.

I guess I don't understand why a CDA would be useless.

Maybe the unwillingness of providers to become qualified is the reason military families struggle to find programs with availability.
Unregistered 06:00 AM 04-12-2017
Thank you Black Cat I will check into that. I didn't know where to start on scholarships.
Blackcat31 07:00 AM 04-12-2017
Thank you Black Cat I will check into that. I didn't know where to start on scholarships.
Start here for more info! http://childcareaware.org/about/chil...urce-referral/

You can earn a CDA and/or a degree on-line and for most don't even need to leave your child care so that makes it an easy option for those of us that work long hours and don't have the option to close so frequently or to hire a sub so much.

I received the T.E.A.C.H. grant and LOVED the support and ease of participating! Good luck! I hope you are able to meet the needs of these families...it's clear you care and this profession needs providers that are willing to do what we can! Especially in support of our military families!!
Unregistered 07:25 AM 04-12-2017
So a bit of running around. The Texas Association Education of Young Children, TX T.E.A.C.H. program number is 800-341-2392 Texas aeyc.org

So you can get a grant for the $425 fee not for the 120 hrs of training, if you make
Less than $15 hr
Take Subsidized Children or at least are on the list (Now I have to sign up for that)

So starting the process.

I will start that to get on the list. Thanks guys!
Reply Up