Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Note for Parents Employer?
Unregistered 06:36 AM 09-14-2020
Parent called this morning to let me know her kid is sick. She then asked if I’d give her a note for work? I’ve never had anyone ask me this before. Would you give one? What should it say?

I think I’ll just give a copy of our Covid letter that list which symptoms we are not allowing in the daycare?
Cat Herder 06:47 AM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Parent called this morning to let me know her kid is sick. She then asked if I’d give her a note for work? I’ve never had anyone ask me this before. Would you give one? What should it say?

I think I’ll just give a copy of our Covid letter that list which symptoms we are not allowing in the daycare?
I would not. She needs a physicians note.
Sunshine69 07:35 AM 09-14-2020
Not if you don’t want to start a trend of writing excuses for her not to work.

That is not a part of the service I offer as a daycare provider. My children are the only people I write excuses for.
Blackcat31 08:34 AM 09-14-2020
I don't understand what purpose a note from the child providers serves for an employer?

The only info you have is what the parent told you.
Any parent can say their child is ill and won't be in care.

I would not provide a note for this request.
It's odd in my opinion.
Cat Herder 08:47 AM 09-14-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
It's odd in my opinion.
Unless she has been recalled and does not want to go back? That extra unemployment is making it really hard for employers here to get them to come back to work. Suddenly everyone has preexisting conditions, it seems. Just not on their employer paid health insurance application forms....
284878 05:42 AM 09-15-2020
To me it sounded like the DCM needed proof that the child did not attend day care, thus she couldn't come into work and had to stay home.

There maybe an abundance of co-workers using sick kid excuse, so the employer is asking for child care notes. It maybe silly but it is the time.

Op if you write a note make it simple and only state the facts that you know.

To whom ever concerned
Dck did not attend DC on x day.
Provider
Rockgirl 05:57 AM 09-15-2020
If dcm needs to show proof that her child was sick, she should get a doctor’s note, not a note from daycare. A daycare provider can’t verify the child was actually ill, just that they didn’t attend daycare. Personally, I would say no.
Ariana 07:06 AM 09-15-2020
I would ask that any questions from her employer be directed to me personally through telephone. If the employer calls which they most likely won’t, i will explain that the mom told me child was sick but i did not personally see the child.
Blackcat31 07:15 AM 09-15-2020
Originally Posted by 284878:
To me it sounded like the DCM needed proof that the child did not attend day care, thus she couldn't come into work and had to stay home.

There maybe an abundance of co-workers using sick kid excuse, so the employer is asking for child care notes. It maybe silly but it is the time.
If the employer actually requested proof that an employee's child did not attend daycare on X day, I'd have to question the employer themselves as that is really over reaching and is none of the employers business WHO provides care for the child when the parent is working.

Other than does the parent have reliable care, (yes/no) the rest is over stepping in a major way in my opinion.

Like PP said, if sickness prevented the employee from going to work, whether it is the employee themselves or their child, a doctor's note would suffice.

Involving the child care provider is silly and not something I would be willing to be part of.

A note stating the parent TOLD the provider the child was sick isn't proof of anything.
It's no more "proof" than the employee telling the employer her child is sick and not attending care.
Unregistered 05:08 AM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't understand what purpose a note from the child providers serves for an employer?
Having worked a variety of jobs..some employers or managers demand strange things. I can absolutely see my old manager wanting a note from childcare if the reason is that child isn't feeling well and can't go to daycare. Some illnesses are not doctor visit worthy but still exclude from childcare. I have had bosses who expect you to be in work even if your child is undergoing surgery at that moment.
Cat Herder 06:47 AM 09-19-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Having worked a variety of jobs..some employers or managers demand strange things. I can absolutely see my old manager wanting a note from childcare if the reason is that child isn't feeling well and can't go to daycare. Some illnesses are not doctor visit worthy but still exclude from childcare. I have had bosses who expect you to be in work even if your child is undergoing surgery at that moment.
That note can come from the parent. It is second hand information from a childcare provider and I would not be willing to give a statement on that. Sounds like some managers should go pound sand. Filing an HR complaint should solve that.
Tags:doctor's note
Reply Up