Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Resources for Developmental/Cognitive Milestones
spud912 09:32 AM 01-30-2013
Hi all,

I'm trying to see where all of my children are in their milestones (physical/developmental/social/cognitive growth). Do you have any good books or resources you can recommend so that I can have something to compare with? Thanks in advance!
canadiancare 10:09 AM 01-30-2013
I use this one for red flags I do have some expectations that are more demanding than this chart- for example I expect that at this point in the winter with our afternoon routine having been the same since early November- all my 2 year olds are able to go and lift their outdoor clothes off their hook and begin to put their stuff on. I support independent dressing by helping in order of age so the older ones need to be at least trying while I help the younger ones.

I have one 2 YR old girl (Sept/1/12) who starts to cry as soon as I say "Let's go get our stuff on" and stands at her hook with one hand on the hood of her jacket, head turned to look at me and just stands there- no motion or effort to lift the coat off the hook (age appropriate hook placement).

I repeat "don't look at me, look at your coat" and "I am helping the younger kids first" and she will cry until I finish the other 2. (one of whom is a January 2 year old and is completely dressed except for his zipper while I dress the one who turns 2 in Feb).

By the CDC checklist she should be independently dressing/undressing by 3 but I expect that they can't learn to do that if not exposed consistently before then so I tell the parents it is an expectation that they are working towards independent dressing so whenever possible not to do it for them just because it is faster/easier.
jojosmommy 11:20 AM 01-30-2013
zerotothree.org

I have many others but Ill have to post them another time. Crazy kiddos today!!!
jojosmommy 11:22 AM 01-30-2013
Take her coat off her hook, or all the coats and tell the kids you are going to let them practice trying on other peoples coats. Make it a morning game. This will provide some practice with HOW TO do it later.
canadiancare 11:29 AM 01-30-2013
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
Take her coat off her hook, or all the coats and tell the kids you are going to let them practice trying on other peoples coats. Make it a morning game. This will provide some practice with HOW TO do it later.
the act of getting her coat off the hook is the issue. The hook is at her level and she doesn't try. She puts her hand on the hood and turns her body to look at me. It is really only a matter of moving her hand the tiniest bit and the coat would come off- she just doesn't try and prefers to cry and wait for me. I do end up getting it down for her but not before I help the boy who is turning 2 in February and zip up the boy who was 2 in January. She is 3rd on the age list having turned 2 in September so she needs to wait her turn and I expect her to try in the meantime.
spud912 12:42 PM 01-30-2013
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
zerotothree.org

I have many others but Ill have to post them another time. Crazy kiddos today!!!
Thank you thank you thank you ! Please post later!

I'm trying to gather as many resources as possible from reputable websites and/or books.
spud912 12:47 PM 01-30-2013
Originally Posted by canadiancare:
I use this one for red flags I do have some expectations that are more demanding than this chart- for example I expect that at this point in the winter with our afternoon routine having been the same since early November- all my 2 year olds are able to go and lift their outdoor clothes off their hook and begin to put their stuff on. I support independent dressing by helping in order of age so the older ones need to be at least trying while I help the younger ones.

I have one 2 YR old girl (Sept/1/12) who starts to cry as soon as I say "Let's go get our stuff on" and stands at her hook with one hand on the hood of her jacket, head turned to look at me and just stands there- no motion or effort to lift the coat off the hook (age appropriate hook placement).

I repeat "don't look at me, look at your coat" and "I am helping the younger kids first" and she will cry until I finish the other 2. (one of whom is a January 2 year old and is completely dressed except for his zipper while I dress the one who turns 2 in Feb).

By the CDC checklist she should be independently dressing/undressing by 3 but I expect that they can't learn to do that if not exposed consistently before then so I tell the parents it is an expectation that they are working towards independent dressing so whenever possible not to do it for them just because it is faster/easier.
Thanks! I saw one earlier on the CDC but the list I found was more generic than yours so I definitely like your link better.

As far as your little girl, I have 2 like that. I sometimes will become a meanie and say to the child "Well if you want to come outside you better hurry up and get your coat by yourself. I'm not going to do it for you!"

I think the biggest problem in this day and age is that parents are not pushing their children to be more independent. I don't think this was an issue back in the "old days" because families had more than 1 or 2 children and they learned quickly that they have to help take care of themselves because mommy was busy helping a younger child. I have to admit I even catch myself "baby-ing" our youngest who is 2 years old . Luckfully she is extremely independent and doesn't want too much help from me.
Tags:milestones
Reply Up