Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Canadians watch CBC's Marketplace on Feb 22
canadiancare 08:52 AM 02-22-2013
They will be profiling various types of daycares. I think that unlicensed are going to get a "bad wrap" but maybe it will just be a buyer beware type of message.
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:12 AM 02-22-2013
They can bad bad mouth un- licenced dayhomes all they want. It's called word of mouth from other happy parents that makes all the difference.

Never again will I allow some licence inspector come into my home and tell me how to run MY business.

I pay my taxes like everyone else and I refuse to give my hard earned money to a goverment run agency that sit on their a$$'es and do none of the grunt work.
countrymom 10:44 AM 02-22-2013
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
They can bad bad mouth un- licenced dayhomes all they want. It's called word of mouth from other happy parents that makes all the difference.

Never again will I allow some licence inspector come into my home and tell me how to run MY business.

I pay my taxes like everyone else and I refuse to give my hard earned money to a goverment run agency that sit on their a$$'es and do none of the grunt work.
I have to agree too. When I started I was under contract with one of those goverment run agency. What a frickin joke. They charged parents 30 dollars a day and would pay me 20 dollars for 10 hours. I had no control, they would come to the house whenever. They were always pushing to use their drop in center. And they told me that they would find the clients, it never happened. I couldn't even term people.
Maddy'sMommy 01:14 PM 02-22-2013
If you are Canadian you might be interested in watching Marketplace tonight. I'm sure it will be very anti-unlicensed care, but I'm watching so I can e-mail them my comments after.

"Who's Watching the Kids?

Across Canada, only 20% of kids who need looking after can get into a licensed daycare that has rules for safety and training.

Most children go to unlicensed or private daycare....an unregulated industry...where no one's checking up.

Marketplace goes undercover to investigate unlicensed daycares and find there's no oversight.

Who's Watching the Kids? airs Friday, Feb. 22 at 8 p.m."

Here's a link http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episod...-the-kids.html
littlemissmuffet 02:05 PM 02-22-2013
Honestly, there are ALOT of really crappy unlicensed daycares out there, I know... I live very close to quite a few of them. The reality is that parents DO have options when it comes to great unlicensed care as long as they are willing to pay for it and are asking the right questions when they interview childcares. They also need to be looking for a childcare that allows unannounced visits. I do. My only rule is you need to take little Johnny or Susie home after you come check up on us. I have never had a parent do it... but I won't be suprised if someone ever does. The whole reason I do daycare is to be home with my own kiddo - I wouldn't trust her with a stranger in a millions years... and we (childcare providers) are, afterall, strangers for the first long while.
Maddy'sMommy 02:12 PM 02-22-2013
Agreed. But there are a lot of crappy licenced home daycare and daycare centres out there too. I think that's why people get upset, because the reports can seem one sided.

I'm happy to have an open door policy for all parents, nothing to hide here. I think some of the problem is parents looking for the cheapest care possible, with the most flexible rules. Then they end up with providers who don't care.

I stay unlicensed in Ottawa because I don't want to share my income with an agency. But I'm happy to take courses on my own, and keep my equipment/supplies up-to-date, without the check-ins and inspections.
canadiancare 02:35 PM 02-22-2013
I think the drowning death of the toddler in Ottawa and the follow-up court outcome is what really propelled the story.
Maddy'sMommy 02:49 PM 02-22-2013
That story still angers me. I know mistakes happen, but how can that many adults be so irresponsible? I think there were 3 there, you think one of them would have said 'this is too many kids'. Just plain wrong.
canadiancare 02:52 PM 02-22-2013
Originally Posted by Maddy'sMommy:
That story still angers me. I know mistakes happen, but how can that many adults be so irresponsible? I think there were 3 there, you think one of them would have said 'this is too many kids'. Just plain wrong.
if you google it you can see the outcome of the November trial. It is pretty disgusting.
Maddy'sMommy 03:02 PM 02-22-2013
I think it was 5 adults actually now that I think back. Opposite end of town from me.
AnneCordelia 03:35 PM 02-22-2013
I'm going to watch. I'm not feeling hopeful it will be a good light cast on us legal but unlicensed providers in Ontario.

Parents have a responsibility to properly screen daycare, and to know the laws governing home daycares here. Likewise they need to have reasonable expectations for what they are going to pay. You get what you pay for imo and if you are paying well below market value for your area then there is a reason for it.
countrymom 06:05 PM 02-22-2013
great I don't get that channel.
countrymom 06:56 PM 02-22-2013
I found a channel but i have to wait till 10.
canadiancare 06:57 PM 02-22-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
great I don't get that channel.
You don't get CBC?

The unlicensed they portrayed are horrible examples, filthy, dingy homes, over ratio, ignorant about first aid, CPR etc.
countrymom 04:16 AM 02-23-2013
weird that I don't get it, I have starchoice stelite, but I did find it after going thru every channel that said market place. I watched it at 10pm and tried to make dh watch it too but he kept falling asleep.
Reply Up