Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Strange E-Mail Response From Craig List Add
familyschoolcare 02:26 PM 08-04-2011
So on my Craig list add my e-mail is now anonymous. Which stopped the emails from people that obviously where not really looking for child care but trying to run a scam. Now I have gotten three different E-mails from three different people/names/e-mail address several days apart form each other and each responding to different add. (I title the add differently each time I post an add that way when someone replies to the title I used several adds ago I know before opening it that something is up.) All the E-mail says is Hello. The first time I responded with Hello, was there supposed to be more to this E-mail, nothing. Any body else have a similar experience I am starting to think that this is either a very technology stupid person (but then why don’t they just call me my number is in the add) or a scam just can not figure out how it is a scam. Any way I was concerning not posting my E-mail in the add at all most people call me anyway.
JaydensMommy 02:28 PM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
So on my Craig list add my e-mail is now anonymous. Which stopped the emails from people that obviously where not really looking for child care but trying to run a scam. Now I have gotten three different E-mails from three different people/names/e-mail address several days apart form each other and each responding to different add. (I title the add differently each time I post an add that way when someone replies to the title I used several adds ago I know before opening it that something is up.) All the E-mail says is Hello. The first time I responded with Hello, was there supposed to be more to this E-mail, nothing. Any body else have a similar experience I am starting to think that this is either a very technology stupid person (but then why don’t they just call me my number is in the add) or a scam just can not figure out how it is a scam. Any way I was concerning not posting my E-mail in the add at all most people call me anyway.
I also advertise on craigslist and have received this email many times. I just delete it and ignore it...
Pammie 02:30 PM 08-04-2011
Since you used an encrypted email with your ad - they're trying to get your valid email address - which they will have if you respond. Your response will let them know that they now have a valid, active email account, and can fill your inbox with spam. Happens alot with craigslist ads, unfortunately.

Simply ignore and don't respond.
familyschoolcare 03:52 PM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:
Since you used an encrypted email with your ad - they're trying to get your valid email address - which they will have if you respond. Your response will let them know that they now have a valid, active email account, and can fill your inbox with spam. Happens alot with craigslist ads, unfortunately.

Thank you fro the info. I could not figure out how it was a scam I did not know that If I responded via E-mail they would have my E-mail now I thought they would receive an encrypted one to respond to. With this info. I will no longer place my E-mail address on any new adds at all as the few valid E-mails I have received did not result an interview even.
SilverSabre25 08:24 PM 08-04-2011
I just received this for the first time today...I've never seen it before. eh, just ignore them. A good spam blocker will see you through as well.

eta: I've been advertising on CL for almost two years. I always have my encrypted email addy on the ad, and my real one in the ad like this: My email (at) provider (dot) com This cuts down on the spam a TON.
Crazy8 09:18 PM 08-04-2011
Originally Posted by Pammie:

this is what I'm thinking as well. I placed a garage sale ad on CL and got all kinds of responses - I figured they were just trying to get my email address so I didn't respond (and it was a block sale so they didn't have my individual street address). I have yet to put a daycare add on CL because of all the scammy stuff out there.
Unregistered 04:40 AM 08-05-2011
I got the same email and like an idiot I did respond. Within 5 minutes I got 6 emails from friends in my contact list telling me I was sending them ****. I don't know how all the technical stuff works but it changed my email password as well as my password to my CL account and it stopped.
nannyde 07:13 AM 08-05-2011
Here's one I got today

Hello,

I am contacting you to know if you would be available to care for my daughter for a short period of time, Mondays through Fridays (9AM - 3PM). My daughter is a free eater, lovers of games and toys and fun to be with by the name of Vanessa and I would be happy to leave her in your care. What is your present LOCATION? I need to know so as to know its proximity to my new job as I want the best care for her, and also to make arrangements for the task as I am providing all to ensure a conducive atmosphere for Vanessa. A prompt response would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mr Jonathan Gaunt

MarinaVanessa 08:48 AM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Here's one I got today

Hello,

I am contacting you to know if you would be available to care for my daughter for a short period of time, Mondays through Fridays (9AM - 3PM). My daughter is a free eater, lovers of games and toys and fun to be with by the name of Vanessa and I would be happy to leave her in your care. What is your present LOCATION? I need to know so as to know its proximity to my new job as I want the best care for her, and also to make arrangements for the task as I am providing all to ensure a conducive atmosphere for Vanessa. A prompt response would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mr Jonathan Gaunt
Mr Johnathan Gaunt must have relocated again from my area to your area just recently because I got the same e-mail, word for word, a few weeks ago only I think he also had his name changed because when I got the email his name was Steven something or other . I didn't respond to it either but I did roll my eyes .
familyschoolcare 10:00 AM 08-06-2011
When He contacted me back in June he was moving to my state CAL.
Zoe 11:21 AM 08-06-2011
Well I feel stupid now. I got the same "hello" email last week and responded. Duh! So far I haven't gotten spam or had my contacts tell me I'm sending them crazy stuff. Crossing my fingers and considering this a lesson learned.

Thanks for letting us know!
TBird 11:32 AM 08-06-2011
YUP! I'm in good company...I got the hello last week, LOL!
SandeeAR 12:10 PM 08-06-2011
If you will add AVG to your computer, it will catch a LOT of this stuff. I use yahoo and I never get those sort of things. Oh, and AVG is free. Just google AVG free download.
Tags:craigs list
Reply Up