Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Xmas Gifts For The Daycare
jojosmommy 10:37 AM 11-09-2011
In the past I have purchased gifts for dck's B-days, Halloween, and Xmas. Usually I am dissapointed by the ungratefulness the parents and kids display during/after the gift giving. So, this year I thought about doing a gift opening of gifts to stay at daycare. Wrap up gifts/toys/books/treats we need at daycare and then have a holidy party like we always do but explain to the kids that these are gifts to keep at daycare, things to play with when they are here. New games etc. I have 3 preschoolers (1 of my own) and the rest are babies.

How do you think this will be received? Has anyone done this? Thoughts/ideas?
laundrymom 10:42 AM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
In the past I have purchased gifts for dck's B-days, Halloween, and Xmas. Usually I am dissapointed by the ungratefulness the parents and kids display during/after the gift giving. So, this year I thought about doing a gift opening of gifts to stay at daycare. Wrap up gifts/toys/books/treats we need at daycare and then have a holidy party like we always do but explain to the kids that these are gifts to keep at daycare, things to play with when they are here. New games etc. I have 3 preschoolers (1 of my own) and the rest are babies.

How do you think this will be received? Has anyone done this? Thoughts/ideas?
Here " Santa" leaves gifts for the daycare in my desk.
kendallina 10:45 AM 11-09-2011
I don't give any gifts to the kiddos during Christmas, but they can choose a book from a special birthday basket for their birthday. At Christmas time we focus on giving to others, so we make cards for people, make a gift for mom and dad, etc.

I usually do a wrapping activity with the kids where they get to 'practice' wrapping blocks with wrapping paper and tape, which is always fun. I don't think they need to open gifts, though, they get enough at that time.
mismatchedsocks 10:48 AM 11-09-2011
I have never done that but I like giving gifts if I can afford it. Usually spend $5-10 a child. This year I found some cute hard plastic containers ( with handle) and had the kids names drawn on the front with pictures, then I found a flashlight with their names on them and will put inside with a thing of crayons and small tablet of paper. Small, cute and personalized. Most of my parents acknowledge us during the holidays with a few parents that are unappreciative. But the kids love it, so do I.
kimsdaycare 11:46 AM 11-09-2011
I always buy for birthdays and Christmas. For every child that comes be it full-time, part-time or drop-in for a total of approx 10-12 children. I usually spend $15-$25 each time.

The parents are all super good to me and the kids are always appreciative. But the expense and worry about what to buy each one is really challenging sometimes.

I was thinking about having the kids draw names for a gift exchange and get them each a book from me this year, but I don't want to add additional stress to the parents kwim? It's hard knowing what is ideal for a child when you know very little about them or their family. I thought maybe have each parent jot down a few ideas on the back of a postcard with their child's name on it and use that for the drawing. That way it maybe would eliminate one item they were planning to get anyway, deferring the cost to the gift they are buying in return. I know they would all be courteous and be sure to actually get the gift, it's just that I don't want to think I've bah humbugged on them.

It does seem like too much work sometimes, but I guess I should just feel blessed to have so many children in my lfe right now, huh?
Unregistered 12:46 PM 11-09-2011
I always gave an inexpensive Scholastic book for each to take home.

I also did most of my yearly toy and crafts purchases before Christmas. They were wrapped and brought the night before our party by "Santa".

Make sure there are enough for each child to help you open one.

Its the perfect time for new toys and craft stuff for the snowy winter.
Pammie 02:25 PM 11-09-2011
Originally Posted by kimsdaycare:
I was thinking about having the kids draw names for a gift exchange and get them each a book from me this year, but I don't want to add additional stress to the parents kwim? It's hard knowing what is ideal for a child when you know very little about them or their family. I thought maybe have each parent jot down a few ideas on the back of a postcard with their child's name on it and use that for the drawing. That way it maybe would eliminate one item they were planning to get anyway, deferring the cost to the gift they are buying in return. I know they would all be courteous and be sure to actually get the gift, it's just that I don't want to think I've bah humbugged on them.
I don't do gift-exchanges any more with the dc kids. However the most successful one that I ever did was a "Little Golden Book" exchange. We didn't choose names, each child just brought one wrapped "Little Golden Book" and then we passed them out. That way, everyone got the "Same Much" and parents appreciated the low $ for the exchange gift
spud912 03:00 PM 11-09-2011
I was planning on doing the same thing. I have some things I wanted to purchase for the daycare and wanted to do it during our x-mas party so my dd doesn't assume everything is "hers."
cheerfuldom 03:04 PM 11-09-2011
I don't do gifts, its just too much for our budget. I sometimes do treat bags but do not guarantee for every holiday. We don't even do gifts for all the extended family, it adds up so quickly.
small_steps 04:49 PM 11-09-2011
I like this idea and considered trying it this year. I also thought about getting the kiddos a pair of cute pj's for Christmas. Walmart usually marks them about $4 for the after Thanksgiving Sale and I could get all my guys a pair for around $40 for everything, plus they usually get lots of wear.
daycare 05:14 PM 11-09-2011
I think that if they open them, they will not understand that they will have stay there.

When we got our new kitchen set and puppet show theater, we put a huge red bow on them and covered them with super cute table cloths. I opened them and they all cheered.

I think at this young of an age you would be setting them up for disappointment and a lot of confusion.

I went to the black friday sale and bought everyone a game of memory. It cost me $3.00 each. I do it for the kids....The parents could care less.

We make gifts for the parents. Hand prints with pictures inside...Yup every year....lol
Tags:christmas gifts, parents - don't appreciate, parents - ungrateful, ungrateful
Reply Up