Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Raising Rates For New Enrollments Only, But What About...
butterfly 11:32 AM 04-16-2013
I like to raise my rates for new enrollments only, but now I have a family who is having another child. I was wondering how your policies work. I'd really like to have this child come in at the new rate, since it is a new enrollment. But at the same time, I'd like to have the family 'grandfathered in' at the old rate. What would you do? This by the way is a tremendous family. Always pays on time, sometimes even a little extra as an appreciation gift to me, picks up/drops off on time, etc. .... (the price difference from their rate and the new rate is $10/week) Thanks for the help!
itlw8 11:36 AM 04-16-2013
leave the old child at the old rate and all new children at the new rate. simple they still get a break
canadiancare 12:10 PM 04-16-2013
The last time I raised my rates from 32$ a day to 35$ a day. I had a family with a new baby starting and I still had the sibling. I kept them both at the old rate as a courtesy and then when older sibling started school and left the single sibling went up to 35$ a day.
MNMum 12:17 PM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
leave the old child at the old rate and all new children at the new rate. simple they still get a break
this
butterfly 12:21 PM 04-16-2013
This is what I was thinking too. My husband got me second guessing myself though, since they are such a great family. Thanks.
Blackcat31 12:36 PM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
This is what I was thinking too. My husband got me second guessing myself though, since they are such a great family. Thanks.
A family who pays on time, picks up/drops off on time and follows your policies is just doing what they should be doing. I wouldn't necessarily place them in the "Great" category.

Although, it is sometimes a rare thing, I personally don't feel it garners any special treatment or discount on rates.

I would keep the current child at your regular rate and have the new one start at your new rate.
butterfly 12:52 PM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
A family who pays on time, picks up/drops off on time and follows your policies is just doing what they should be doing. I wouldn't necessarily place them in the "Great" category.
Exactly!! But it is so refreshing when you have families who actually do follow policy without confrontation. And even better yet, they make it very well known that they appreciate me. - it makes me want to appreciate them a little more too.
williams2008 12:56 PM 04-16-2013
yep this!!
Cradle2crayons 01:14 PM 04-16-2013
I'm the opposite, I'd give them the old rate unless it was something you address in your handbook(which I did on my last update)... But that's just me lol
AmyKidsCo 08:25 PM 04-16-2013
You could always charge them an extra $5 instead of the full $10/week.
MyAngels 08:34 PM 04-16-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Although, it is sometimes a rare thing, I personally don't feel it garners any special treatment or discount on rates.

I would keep the current child at your regular rate and have the new one start at your new rate.

That $10 per week equates to approximately $2600 over the five years you will have the new sibling before they start school. Whenever I think of giving a discount I think of it in those terms before I decide whether I can truly afford or want to do it.
Reply Up