Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Handling a Difficult DCB
CountryRoads 03:55 PM 12-18-2020
Dcb is my difficult dck. He's a bully and causes 90% of the daily fights in daycare.

Anyway, the past couple nights he's been acting up horribly when a dcp comes for pick-up. Today he threw a tantrum because someone knocked over his blocks. Like a stomping, screaming, crying, wouldn't calm down tantrum. I couldn't talk to the dcp that was picking up because of dcb. I told dcb that he needs to stop, I got down in his level and told him to calm down, and then I finally told him that I was not going to talk to him until he calmed down because I couldn't understand him.

I always worry that I look "mean" to other dcps. I don't pick them up and coddle them and "oh, it's okay, poor baby, etc." I'm very blunt and tell them they need to stop and calm down.

How do you handle tantrums and screaming/crying?
Gemma 02:46 AM 12-19-2020
My kids learn soon enough that if they need to cry, they must do so sitting down on the floor, with nothing in their hands, and no one talks to crying kids until they're happy again, not me, not other kids, not parents....no one!

Parents are aware of my methods, I have it written in my discipline policy.
Ariana 01:05 PM 12-19-2020
How old is he?
coloradoprovider 01:27 PM 12-19-2020
Originally Posted by Gemma:
My kids learn soon enough that if they need to cry, they must do so sitting down on the floor, with nothing in their hands, and no one talks to crying kids until they're happy again, not me, not other kids, not parents....no one!

Parents are aware of my methods, I have it written in my discipline policy.
For children who are crying and acting out to get attention this is a great solution.
It's easily implemented, easy for others to understand. Removes throwing things and removes the audience that feeds the desire to act out. I do it in a similar manner, usually have child sit as far away as possible from the group, have the other kids get involved in something interesting so they don't give the child attention. I say something like: "looks like so and so needs some time alone until they feel better, let's walk away."
CountryRoads 03:18 PM 12-19-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
How old is he?
He's 3.5
Tags:bully, difficult child, screaming, tantrum
Reply Up