Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tacky or Just Me?
jgcp 11:08 AM 05-06-2015
First off i think the world of teachers and all they do!! I think they should be paid much more then they are and I had some teachers of my own i know ill never forget and a THANK YOU goes a long way.
I found out yesterday that the elementary school gave out letters to each student for their teacher a list of likes and dislikes for teacher appreciation week but the lists were a little much ( amazon gift cards, bath and body works, gift cards to local restraunts ect.) I might piss some off with this but that might be taking it a bit far. Not all of these students will be able to do anything off of the list i saw? and some might feel like they have to even if they can not afford it. I know the dcp that picked up yesterday felt a little stressed at having to get something put together( and for 2 teachers). Is it just me or is it a little tacky for the school to do that (not the teacher)
daycarediva 11:15 AM 05-06-2015
VERY tacky. I sent in a fancy cupcake from a local bakery (apples/apple for the teacher) and a card. I bought those for 2 teachers and sent in candy/cookies for ds and dd's multiple teachers to share.
Thriftylady 11:18 AM 05-06-2015
It is tacky. A teacher gift should come because the student/parent wants to do it not because they feel forced. I can see that they are helping give ideas, but maybe just have lists of ideas available not sent to every parent.
Shell 11:19 AM 05-06-2015
I posted something very similar around Christmas time. My dh was, at that time, attending a very pricey daycare, part time. I had gotten each of his teachers a $50 target gift card- which was really stretching it for me financially. Target had a 10% off all gift card deals one day, so I literally ran to thru the store to get the certificates as fast as I could.
The next day, we get the list of recommended gifts. I was relieved target was on there, but what if it wasn't?! I thought it was super tacky to make a list.
itlw8 11:38 AM 05-06-2015
our note suggested writing a note to the teacher. I guess today is school nurse day. Since I am off Friday I will take dgd to school and she can take flowers to her teacher. AND making cupcakes for the office staff . She is ADHD and really struggled before this Dec. We owe them all a big thank you including art music pe the teacher in K and 1st so I will just send some for all with a note
Annalee 11:53 AM 05-06-2015
Originally Posted by jgcp:
First off i think the world of teachers and all they do!! I think they should be paid much more then they are and I had some teachers of my own i know ill never forget and a THANK YOU goes a long way.
I found out yesterday that the elementary school gave out letters to each student for their teacher a list of likes and dislikes for teacher appreciation week but the lists were a little much ( amazon gift cards, bath and body works, gift cards to local restraunts ect.) I might piss some off with this but that might be taking it a bit far. Not all of these students will be able to do anything off of the list i saw? and some might feel like they have to even if they can not afford it. I know the dcp that picked up yesterday felt a little stressed at having to get something put together( and for 2 teachers). Is it just me or is it a little tacky for the school to do that (not the teacher)
Our elementary school did this too but they had their favorite candy, wear their favorite color, a questionaire to fill out which was really cute, easy things.....being in the same unappreciated position many times, I always send a gift bag/basket to each of my son's teachers during this week. Teachers are human and yep, it does make a difference. I do not need monetary gifts but a 50 cent card from the dollar store would go a long way for me....
NoMoreJuice! 12:10 PM 05-06-2015
Tacky! My favorite gift this week was a letter from a dcm of one of my girls going into Kindergarten this August. She made a copy of the kindergarten assessment that her private school conducted, and her daughter scored off the charts. She thanked me for all my hard work preparing her daughter for kindergarten, and it made me bawl my eyes out. I do work very hard to help my kids reach their very best potential, and that someone noticed it made me feel amazing. That's literally all you need to give a teacher!
Blackcat31 12:15 PM 05-06-2015
Wait!!!!

Teacher's get a whole week of appreciation and all we get is one day?!?!?!?!?!

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.

Oh, and the note is SUPER tacky.
AmyKidsCo 12:21 PM 05-06-2015
ITA it's tacky.

My boys' school sent home a list of things we could donate toward the week and invited us to send $$, but it wasn't the teachers sending out the list, it was the parents organizing things for the week.
racemom 12:25 PM 05-06-2015
BC be glad you get one day! We receive nothing from our families. Some, but not all, are nice enough to remember us at Christmas but that is it!

And yes, that is like asking for a gift and pressuring families to buy.
mommiebookworm 12:26 PM 05-06-2015
Tacky! I would be less likely to send a gift because of the list.
kitykids3 01:19 PM 05-06-2015
tacky
MarinaVanessa 04:00 PM 05-06-2015
Very tacky. I got one of these letters for my daughter also and although I do appreciate her teacher VERY much I was VERY put off by the list of specific items or stores to shop at. Not to mention that this is on top of 3 other letters that I have received over the year about supply and money "donations" which are actually requirements. I got one at the beginning of the year, during back to school night, parent's night and now one for teacher appreciation week.

I threw the letter out and had my daughter make a card.
Annalee 06:46 PM 05-06-2015
Teacher appreciation week here is right after the state-testing for students week. The testing has wreaked havoc in our schools because our county has chosen to have this test to count as 25% of the students' final 9 weeks grade. This is great pressure on the teachers as well as the students. The teachers annual eval is based on these test scores. The teachers here nor the parents agree on this testing but it is state-mandated so we have all had to grow/work together. This is why I look at this week's request differently. I feel it is a way I can pay back for all the extra tutoring (my sons along with many receive this tutoring throughout the week every week before/after hours). Just my view on the issue. No parent is pressured but I feel the need to give back something!
Cozy_Kids_Childcare 03:43 AM 05-07-2015
We got a note sent home on Friday with a envelope attached asking each child (parent) donate 5$ towards a class gift and if we wanted to do something individually that was also fine but it didn't have a list of things she likes.
DaveA 05:34 AM 05-07-2015
I find them tacky. Did it come from the school or a parent's group? One center I worked at had a parent committee that sent out a letter to DCPs that went WAY over the top with "suggestions" for teacher gift ideas, volunteer "requests, etc.
NightOwl 07:15 AM 05-07-2015
TACKY. I bought a Perfectly Posh bath salts set and some scented sachets for my son's K teacher, but it's because I truly appreciate her. Not because someone told me I had to.
Annalee 08:39 AM 05-07-2015
All I put in the goodie bags for the teachers was a straw-cup filled with candy and a little poem I printed off of PINTEREST. But I have already received emails thanking me for working with them through the testing/tutoring/etc. I didn't give much and did not do everything listed in the hand-out but I have gotten close to these teachers and I guess I feel this testing/evaluation to them is like the QRIS ASSESSMENT for me so I like to give back because I know few will!
Sunchimes 09:55 AM 05-07-2015
We didn't have Teacher Appreciation day when I was kid. But at Christmas and end of the year, some kid would secretly pass around an envelope for a few days, and the kids would put in money. After a few days, the envelope would disappear, and at the appropriate time, a gift would appear from the class. It was usually embroidered hankies or sachet. I remember a vase one year. We didn't flood her desk with 30 things she already had 20 of--just one gift from everyone. The whole class signed the card and no one knew who gave a dime and who gave a dollar. No one felt bad if they couldn't spend much. Seems like a good way to do it.

The idea of a wish list horrifies me. If I was still teaching, I would refuse to participate.
Annalee 10:05 AM 05-07-2015
This is obviously a school board/across the states thing because I am hearing lots of these stories on the news and this forum. I know here they rarely have 5 people at PTO meetings or any other meeting that involves the school system. There is a surge to get parents involved which I think will never happen because most parents hate common core and the testing that goes with it. The requests in my boys' teacher letters asked for simple things like their favorite kind of candy, wear their favorite color shirt, highlighters, etc. I think the school board possibly come up with the request. BUT I give wish list to my clients for my daycare things I can use or are out of. I am just looking at it from my perspective because I think the principle is close to the same.
Reply Up