Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Trained 3yo Suddenly Having Accidents...
newtodaycare22 09:58 AM 03-10-2011
I have no children of my own and my preschoolers come to me potty trained, so this is not my area of expertise. Can someone offer a suggestion:

I have a 3yo dcg who started with me in December. She was potty trained 6 months prior and until last week, she never had an accident of any kind. Now, just about daily, she's not quite making it to the potty in time and leaking on her undies. Usually it just gets the underwear wet, but 1 time it went through the pants too.

I guess she's suddenly decided to wait too long?? I asked dad what system they used to potty trained( ie did she have incentives that perhaps we need to revisit). He said, "If she had an accident, she was spanked." Hmmmm....any ideas??

FYI: She has a new baby brother at home, who is about 1 month old. Regression because of him maybe?
daycare 10:11 AM 03-10-2011
I say it is 100% regression. My son did it when my daughter was born. He wanted attention and was doing anything to get it.

I just put him back on the bathroom schedule of asking him about every 30 min or just taking him. I know that this may be hard to do in a center, but if you make a big deal out of, the child was able to accomplish their goal.

say nothing and just keep a good eye on her, remind her to go, and if she still keeps having accidents then make it a mandatory time to go to the bathroom.

good luck
kendallina 10:23 AM 03-10-2011
Yup, I agree with daycare. Definitely seems to be regression and I agree also that you should get her back on a schedule of going frequently. Hopefully it doesn't take long before she's back to her old self!
Tags:3 year old, potty accidents, potty train
Reply Up