Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parents drinking
Indoorvoice 05:06 PM 10-03-2016
If a parent got pulled over for a dui after picking up their child and you didn't notice the smell of alcohol or them acting drunk, could you (the daycare provider) get in trouble?
daycare 06:09 PM 10-03-2016
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
If a parent got pulled over for a dui after picking up their child and you didn't notice the smell of alcohol or them acting drunk, could you (the daycare provider) get in trouble?
I would love to say NO, but now adays, nothing shocks me anymore.

Honestly, we are not investigators and are not trained to detect this kind of stuff. Even if we did, the only thing we can do is call the police and report it right away. We can't withhold a child, so we would have no choice buy calling the PD.

It would be really sad if a DCP got into trouble for something like this.
LysesKids 07:56 PM 10-03-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
I would love to say NO, but now adays, nothing shocks me anymore.

Honestly, we are not investigators and are not trained to detect this kind of stuff. Even if we did, the only thing we can do is call the police and report it right away. We can't withhold a child, so we would have no choice buy calling the PD.

It would be really sad if a DCP got into trouble for something like this.
I actually had to call 911 on a drunk parent that took her child against my wishes; cops busted her 1 block down the road (I called before she left premises after arguing with her to call a cab)... never want to deal with that again - needless to say she was terminated on the spot
Mike 08:27 PM 10-03-2016
If a parent was picking up a kid from my place and I could tell they were drunk, I would try to talk them into not driving, and would call 911 if they did. Many years ago, I called on a relative who stopped by to borrow money for more beer. We said no and told him we would drive him home. He took off, so I called and was told from another relative the next day that he was caught and lost his license.

If you didn't know a parent had alcohol, I don't see how you could get in trouble because it's not our job to check for that.
DaveA 05:59 AM 10-04-2016
If you knew they were intoxicated/ impaired and let them go I guess you could say you had some responsibility if you didn't call 911. If you didn't know I can't see how it would be your fault in anyway. But like Daycare said- who knows anymore. It's in my policies that I will call 911 if someone shows up impaired and leaves with or without their child. Luckily never had to do it at my house. At one center we had one DCP who got off at 3 on Friday. We knew if he wasn't there by 330 he wouldn't show up till 559 due to stopping at a bar. Luckily that center was in a government building, so even though we couldn't keep him from taking his child, security could keep him from coming inside to pick him up. They could make him take a cab or wait for DCM.
Tags:mandated reporter
Reply Up