Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any Auto-Pay Options For Parents???
Crazy8 02:01 PM 08-05-2011
Does anyone offer any ways for parents to pay other than cash/checks?? I had one parent try auto pay thru her bank. I was SUPPOSED to receive a check in the mail from her bank every other Friday. Well of course it never got here on Friday, usually Sat., sometimes even Monday!! Then a few weeks ago she changed it so it is supposed to arrive on Thursdays now. Never comes on Thursdays either, lucky if it comes on Fridays now which is what we were shooting for (didn't come today). I know its not the mom's fault - she said is shows as "processing" on her account as early as Monday. It is somewhere between the bank and the post office. I'm leaning more towards the post office because I always get my coupons/flyers after the date they tell them to deliver it. I would have her stop it but they leave in Sept. anyway so I will just deal with it for 1-2 more checks.

But I am also one of those people who pay everything online, I write out a check once every few months - usually just for kids sports stuff, etc. so I understand the convenience of offering such a service. I thought of allowing them to pay thru paypal but not sure that's any better since they'd still have to do it manually every week or every 2 weeks.

Anyone have any other payment options for their families???
AnneCordelia 02:04 PM 08-05-2011
If you do your banking online then you can set it up to 'e-transfer' funds to other people. It is easy to set up and the payment is instant. I have 3 families who pay me by e-transfer and it's my preferred method.
Blackcat31 02:06 PM 08-05-2011
My neighbor who is a family childcare provider also is trying this out: http://www.readwriteweb.com/start/20...r-1-dollar.php

She has only been doing it for the last few weeks. If it works well for her, I am totally going the same route.
Crazy8 02:14 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My neighbor who is a family childcare provider also is trying this out: http://www.readwriteweb.com/start/20...r-1-dollar.php

She has only been doing it for the last few weeks. If it works well for her, I am totally going the same route.
that is interesting... please update on how that works out. But is it $1 for each use?? And what about the 2.9% - is it like paying paypal fees??? I don't want to have to charge people more to use a service.

Anne.... I will look into the e-transfer. I wasn't aware you could do that with other personal accounts.
Blackcat31 02:23 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:
that is interesting... please update on how that works out. But is it $1 for each use?? And what about the 2.9% - is it like paying paypal fees??? I don't want to have to charge people more to use a service.

Anne.... I will look into the e-transfer. I wasn't aware you could do that with other personal accounts.
I will ask her more of the details and get back to you. It does sound nifty though doesn't it? any super convenient too!
MG&Lsmom 03:48 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by LittleDiamonds:

Sounds like the device is $1 to buy, but the company will charge 2.9% for each transaction.

I offer paypal. I have a merchant account with them because I had sewing business and sold on Etsy up until recently. If they want to use Paypal, it's a $5 fee on top of their normal rate. No one will use it because it's just easier to get me cash and easier when I tell them checks are ok. If however, they forget to bring me payment, as long as it clears through Paypal by midnight, it's not considered late. But the other person who doesn't pay me on time is my retail worker who has every excuse in the book.
mom2many 04:04 PM 08-05-2011
I have one dcm who transfers her payment each week into my acct and I love it! I'd like to get everyone to pay me this way!
Another has a check sent automatically each week and always get it prior to the week they are paying for. That also works great!
Michael 04:08 PM 08-05-2011
Another thread here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28681
Crazy8 04:12 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Another thread here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28681
I did see that thread but that's about us paying our bills on autopay, not about the options for dc parents paying us.
childcarebytori 04:38 PM 08-05-2011
I have Square. The reader device was free actually, I just visited their website and I signed up to get one. They sent it within a week.

There is an app for Square that I use on my iPhone and really, all you do is swipe the card on the reader, have the person verify the amount and they write their signature with their finger and it's done.

Recently they took away the $1.00 fee for every transaction. They only have the 2.9% fee for transactions and it really doesn't add up to much. It's a super convenient way when eating out with my family. I foot the bill and I swipe everyone's card for their share and everything is done. No waiting for money from family members who "never carry cash". My family always mentions how cool it looks to be able to just swipe a credit card on a cell phone. Technology these days!

Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
I offer paypal. I have a merchant account with them because I had sewing business and sold on Etsy up until recently. If they want to use Paypal, it's a $5 fee on top of their normal rate. No one will use it because it's just easier to get me cash and easier when I tell them checks are ok. If however, they forget to bring me payment, as long as it clears through Paypal by midnight, it's not considered late. But the other person who doesn't pay me on time is my retail worker who has every excuse in the book.
You should register for a business account. I have one and I only accept online payments so I can keep track of each payment and for how much and specific dates should a family deny paying or such. I send invoices every Wednesday to my families and they are required to pay by 6pm every Friday or they incur a late fee of $15. Everyone has a computer at home, or at the very least a smart phone, so paying online is just simpler.

When my families pay, they don't have any sort of fee. When I receive the money, I get anywhere between 1.9 - 2.9% fee for my money and basically it adds up to around $3.80 per $100 I get paid.

It has made my life much more easier. You can pay your electicity, water and cable bills online.....why can't you pay childcare tuition?
Crazy8 04:55 PM 08-05-2011
Originally Posted by childcarebytori:
I have Square. The reader device was free actually, I just visited their website and I signed up to get one. They sent it within a week.

There is an app for Square that I use on my iPhone and really, all you do is swipe the card on the reader, have the person verify the amount and they write their signature with their finger and it's done.

Recently they took away the $1.00 fee for every transaction. They only have the 2.9% fee for transactions and it really doesn't add up to much. It's a super convenient way when eating out with my family. I foot the bill and I swipe everyone's card for their share and everything is done. No waiting for money from family members who "never carry cash". My family always mentions how cool it looks to be able to just swipe a credit card on a cell phone. Technology these days!

You should register for a business account. I have one and I only accept online payments so I can keep track of each payment and for how much and specific dates should a family deny paying or such. I send invoices every Wednesday to my families and they are required to pay by 6pm every Friday or they incur a late fee of $15. Everyone has a computer at home, or at the very least a smart phone, so paying online is just simpler.

When my families pay, they don't have any sort of fee. When I receive the money, I get anywhere between 1.9 - 2.9% fee for my money and basically it adds up to around $3.80 per $100 I get paid.

It has made my life much more easier. You can pay your electicity, water and cable bills online.....why can't you pay childcare tuition?
good to know about the square device. But for me 2.9% would add up to over $25 a week in fees. That's a bit steep for me!!! I have no issues with parents paying late, checks bouncing, etc. I am just looking for ways to make it easier for them, but not if its going to cost me $100 a month!!!!
snbauser 08:38 PM 08-05-2011
I have parents who use the electronic payments through Minute Menu Kids. It is $1 per transaction and you can chose whether they pay the fee or you pay the fee.
ShortyMom 06:13 AM 08-06-2011
I plan to use Minute Menu's automated pay service. The parent pays $1 per transaction, which I think I am going to discount to them (it's worth the price of getting money on time!). I plan to use Minute Menu's software, which, while $70 a year, is FANTASTIC. Plus my state recognizes it. *shrug* I can't imagine using anything else, given the fees.
2ndFamilyDC 06:15 AM 08-08-2011
I have one parent that pays through ING bank. I get an email on Tuesday that I follow the directions on and I get the money in my bank on Thursday (my payday is actually Friday).
Another parent tried the payment through her bank and the same thing happened that happened to you, it would come out of her bank on Thursday or Friday and I would get the check on Monday. She tried to play around with the date and it never worked.
I also use Minute Menu for my food program, have not tried it for payments, I do not want to pay the $1 fee and do not want to charge the parents. I know that in most cases parents pretty much only write checks out to me.
Cat Herder 08:08 AM 08-08-2011
I use MMK auto-pay and love it.

I do not accept checks.
Tags:automatic - payment, mmk
Reply Up