Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Last Day Of Daycare...
MARSTELAC 06:34 AM 02-01-2012
Good a.m. all. Parents are asking me if I am doing anything for the last day of daycare since I am closing. I hadn't given it a thought only because honestly I am burnt out on parties. I have had massive-expensive parties for these families and barely ever even a thank you. I give gifts to the children, hardly ever a thank you. I'm tired of it. And, I don't even know if kids will all be here on the official last day since I have given them all the option of leaving as soon as they find new arrangements. One parent even suggested that they don't need to be here for the last two weeks if there is "nothing going on".

So, for any of you who are still on the board, have you had a party for the last day and do you do gifts?

Just want some advice.
Thanks all!
Mrs. M
Zoe 06:36 AM 02-01-2012
I think that's entirely up to you. But if you do a party, I would suggest only do it for the kids. It's obvious that the parents don't appreciate it and it if's something that's only going to end in a bad end to your daycare, then I wouldn't do it.

If it would make you happy then do it!
Unregistered 06:38 AM 02-01-2012
Um....no, I don't get paid enough to do parties for the last day. One last hug to the kids and an I enjoyed being part of your life is enough.
cheerfuldom 06:45 AM 02-01-2012
I wouldn't do it. The kids will be fine without it and if the parents dont like it, who cares? They are leaving anyway. It sounds like you are exhausted and the last thing you need is to plan something huge only to have no kids show up or parents complaining.
Blackcat31 06:52 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
Good a.m. all. Parents are asking me if I am doing anything for the last day of daycare since I am closing. I hadn't given it a thought only because honestly I am burnt out on parties. I have had massive-expensive parties for these families and barely ever even a thank you. I give gifts to the children, hardly ever a thank you. I'm tired of it. And, I don't even know if kids will all be here on the official last day since I have given them all the option of leaving as soon as they find new arrangements. One parent even suggested that they don't need to be here for the last two weeks if there is "nothing going on".

So, for any of you who are still on the board, have you had a party for the last day and do you do gifts?

Just want some advice.
Thanks all!
Mrs. M
Umm, shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't the parents of the children you have lovingly provided care to and opened your home to over the last few years be doing something for YOU?
momofboys 06:54 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Umm, shouldn't it be the other way around? Shouldn't the parents of the children you have lovingly provided care to and opened your home to over the last few years be doing something for YOU?
Yes - this!!! I honestly wouldn't do a party unless you really want to. It is not your obligation unless you want to do something & only take the kids into consideration. Do it for them & don't worry about what the parents want.
Springdaze 07:14 AM 02-01-2012
I would give a poem I found (I'll try to find it again) and maybe a pic of either the group or you and the child and thats it! I think it would be so bittersweet that I would want to not make a big deal and just let it go!
wdmmom 07:33 AM 02-01-2012
I might make a poem or send several snapshots you've taken of the kids during their stay at the daycare.

As for a party...I wouldn't. Parties are very time consuming and costly. I'd make it a pj day and watch a movie! Nothing like enjoying the last day in a relaxing manner!
MamaBear 09:21 AM 02-01-2012
Those parents should be throwing YOU a party... I wouldn't waste my $ on a party on your last day. The parents should give you some kind of thank you gift and you just give the kids a hug goodbye... and then do a happy dance that your done with the daycare!
laundrymom 10:30 AM 02-01-2012
Yes!!!! Party!!!!!! Tell any parent who asks yes you are doing a small celebration type thing for snack on the last day. That you already have parents bringing some things but if they would like to pitch in then you still need icecream, bakery cookies, and milk. Then accept their donations, send home the kids loving you for giving sweets and send them on their way.
harperluu 10:33 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I second this motion. I'd tell them it's daycare provider, party of one tonight with a glass of wine and a foot rub.
MARSTELAC 11:54 AM 02-01-2012
Such great ideas! I was a little taken aback when the one asked what I had planned. I asked one of my old providers (for my kids) what she did and she said nothing....we gave her gifts. This was so long ago I couldn't even remember.

I don't even know what day everyone is done so it is pointless for me to plan something. Most days the parents change their schedule on me so everyday here is different. Plus, I don't have all of the kids here ever at the same times throughout the day (some are tiny infants all the way to young middle schoolers).

I think I will do nothing. I might take one of our group photos and mail it to them after we are done. I just don't have the time to deal with that right now as I have way to much on my tiny little plate.

Stay tuned!
juliebug 12:15 PM 02-01-2012
i would do nothing tell them i had a great time caring for you and hug them lol
cheerfuldom 12:18 PM 02-01-2012
let us know how it goes
Blackcat31 01:27 PM 02-01-2012
MARSTELAC, I PM'ed you
greenhouse 02:15 PM 02-01-2012
I would throw myself a party after hours on my last day.
Kaddidle Care 04:28 PM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by MARSTELAC:
Good a.m. all. Parents are asking me if I am doing anything for the last day of daycare since I am closing.
Reply: "Why, are you all going to throw me a party? That's soooo sweet of you!"

Gawww - people have such nerve!
MARSTELAC 04:33 AM 02-02-2012
Love all of your comments. So to update...one of the moms asked again on her way out yesterday....so have I planned anything? I said no and I don't know if I am. I think they are done now. My dd (of legal age) bought me a nice bottle of wine. I think that party starts at 5:30 next Friday! I'll have to get a movie to go with that!

I'm certainly amazed at the things that come out of parents' mouths, that is for sure!

@Blackcat: got the pm. I'll be in touch soon!!!
Tags:closing party; closing gifts
Reply Up