Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Almost Two Year Old That Refuses To Eat
Unregistered 06:08 AM 04-07-2015
I have an almost 2 year old DCB that refuses to eat anything but carbs and processed meat. I don't serve that kind of meal here, but DCM says that's all she can get him to eat at home. I'm running out of ideas. He won't eat at mealtime, but is hungry and cranky later.
Blackcat31 06:31 AM 04-07-2015
I refuse to get into power struggles with kids about eating.

I serve a healthy well balanced menu.

My role is to serve.

The daycare kids' role is to eat (or don't)

But if they don't eat, there is nothing else offered or served until the next meal/snack time.

I also do NOT offer carbs for snacks. Only fresh veggies.

If mom would adopt the same practices at home this would be a non-issue but if mom thinks she HAS to offer/serve/prepare ONLY those things that he will eat, then THAT is the problem right there.

The child is simply holding out until the things he likes are offered.

Given that choice in life, I'd probably do the same

But since that isn't an option.....I am "forced" to eat other things.
Heidi 07:30 AM 04-07-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I refuse to get into power struggles with kids about eating.

I serve a healthy well balanced menu.

My role is to serve.

The daycare kids' role is to eat (or don't)

But if they don't eat, there is nothing else offered or served until the next meal/snack time.

I also do NOT offer carbs for snacks. Only fresh veggies.

If mom would adopt the same practices at home this would be a non-issue but if mom thinks she HAS to offer/serve/prepare ONLY those things that he will eat, then THAT is the problem right there.

The child is simply holding out until the things he likes are offered.

Given that choice in life, I'd probably do the same

But since that isn't an option.....I am "forced" to eat other things.

daycare 08:15 AM 04-07-2015
Eating issues can really bring down your day.

When the child does not eat, we all pay the price. the kids blood sugar levels are low and therefore, MOODY, TANTRUMS and not so pleasant behavior.

I used to have kids like this and it was pretty hard for the first month. I just kept standing my ground and did not give in to giving them anything outside my menu.

I always serve veggie first, protein second, carb third, fruit last, then milk.

I serve them one at a time and give them some time to eat them, if they don't I just add them to their plate, some kids will wait to eat until the carb and only drink their milk. I would ratehr them do that than not eat at all.

If you make it not a big deal, the child will follow suit and soon it won't be a deal at all.
sharlan 08:55 AM 04-07-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
Eating issues can really bring down your day.

When the child does not eat, we all pay the price. the kids blood sugar levels are low and therefore, MOODY, TANTRUMS and not so pleasant behavior.

I used to have kids like this and it was pretty hard for the first month. I just kept standing my ground and did not give in to giving them anything outside my menu.

I always serve veggie first, protein second, carb third, fruit last, then milk.

I serve them one at a time and give them some time to eat them, if they don't I just add them to their plate, some kids will wait to eat until the carb and only drink their milk. I would ratehr them do that than not eat at all.

If you make it not a big deal, the child will follow suit and soon it won't be a deal at all.
Before the food program, I used to serve the meat first, then veggie, then carb, then fruit. My dcks were fantastic eaters. Now I serve everything at once and they're poor eaters. My littlest ones only eat the meat and my girls try to eat the fruit and veggies and leave everything else.
daycare 09:22 AM 04-07-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Before the food program, I used to serve the meat first, then veggie, then carb, then fruit. My dcks were fantastic eaters. Now I serve everything at once and they're poor eaters. My littlest ones only eat the meat and my girls try to eat the fruit and veggies and leave everything else.
I am on the food program and told them exactly what you just said. If I give it all at once, just about all of the food goes in the trash.

FP told me as long as I offer each food to the children than I am ok.
sharlan 10:57 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I am on the food program and told them exactly what you just said. If I give it all at once, just about all of the food goes in the trash.

FP told me as long as I offer each food to the children than I am ok.
I was told that all components had to be serve at the same time and all children served at the same time.
Blackcat31 10:59 AM 04-08-2015
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I was told that all components had to be serve at the same time and all children served at the same time.
I've heard lots of providers say that and my FP rep said it's up to the agency that you belong to for that.

Mine says all foods just have to be "available" whether on their plates or on the counter, it needs to be "available" for them.

Personally, I DO give them everything at one time but require them to start with their veggies before moving on. Can't make them but I strongly encourage them to do so.

I reward those that comply.
hottie8962 10:28 PM 04-09-2015
Im not any food program if say its lunch time come eat for example if someone says im not hungry I will let them no it will be a while until the next meal an u will be very hungry so I will say are you sure you don't want little bit so u are not hungry.if they say no then they no they have to wait until the next meal.the next meal if snack I do give things like chips an crackers some sweets but they know the do not get snack if they didnt eat food so they can eat there lunch then are welcome to have snack with the other kids .every one eats same food no I don't make each kid different meals.
hottie8962 10:32 PM 04-09-2015
U could have mom bring his food so not cranky but if the other kid saw they will want it an wont be fair but I have had kids bring food in before not often u could explain thats his food from his mom I dont have that
NightOwl 06:08 AM 04-10-2015
The problem is that mom is serving at home what she knows he'll eat because she's afraid he won't eat at all if she doesn't. I have this exact same kid (and parents). 3 out of 5 days here, she eats nothing. Not a single bite of food crosses her lips. And I've finally stopped stressing about it. I can't force feed her and if she gets hungry enough, she will eat. So don't sweat it.
NightOwl 06:10 AM 04-10-2015
BUT she still has to sit at the table with the others while they eat. I won't reward her for not eating by allowing her to play at meal times.
Blackcat31 06:24 AM 04-10-2015
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
BUT she still has to sit at the table with the others while they eat. I won't reward her for not eating by allowing her to play at meal times.
I used to have my non-eaters stay at the table too but then one of my ECE/QRIS coaches said that can be considered a form of "confinement" or restraint and that instead the child should be allowed to have a choice.

So now the choices offered are sit and watch your friends eat (I always hope that choice will influence them to want to eat too) or the child can choose to not sit but move onto our next activity which is nap.

They are not allowed to play or look at books or anything "fun".

It's sit at the table with the others (eat or don't) OR straight to nap time.
NightOwl 06:39 AM 04-10-2015
Excellent idea! You don't want to eat? Cool. Goodnight. Lol. I too would hope she chose to stay at the table because I've had a tiny bit of success with that. Once in a blue moon, she'll get bored enough to take a bite.
Heidi 07:21 AM 04-10-2015
I used to have my non-eaters stay at the table too but then one of my ECE/QRIS coaches said that can be considered a form of "confinement" or restraint and that instead the child should be allowed to have a choice.

So now the choices offered are sit and watch your friends eat (I always hope that choice will influence them to want to eat too) or the child can choose to not sit but move onto our next activity which is nap.

They are not allowed to play or look at books or anything "fun".

It's sit at the table with the others (eat or don't) OR straight to nap time.
This cracks me up. What the heck happened to manners? It's confinement to teach a child that a meal is a social time as well as a time to eat? It's bad enough most kids grow up in a home where a sit-down meal is almost unheard of. Now, we can't "force" them to sit and just...be?

A lot of that ECER's stuff is just stupid. They aren't supposed to wait. We're supposed to make waiting in line for a couple minutes an "activity" like jumping or singing. Wait until they get to kindergarten, and they can't stand still in line without singing or hopping on one foot.

Sorry, I get a little riled up when some idealist idea of "quality" doesn't match my idea of "quality". They preach respect for culture, but then throw it in the garbage when it doesn't suit their beliefs.
NightOwl 07:31 AM 04-10-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
This cracks me up. What the heck happened to manners? It's confinement to teach a child that a meal is a social time as well as a time to eat? It's bad enough most kids grow up in a home where a sit-down meal is almost unheard of. Now, we can't "force" them to sit and just...be?

A lot of that ECER's stuff is just stupid. They aren't supposed to wait. We're supposed to make waiting in line for a couple minutes an "activity" like jumping or singing. Wait until they get to kindergarten, and they can't stand still in line without singing or hopping on one foot.

Sorry, I get a little riled up when some idealist idea of "quality" doesn't match my idea of "quality". They preach respect for culture, but then throw it in the garbage when it doesn't suit their beliefs.

Blackcat31 09:13 AM 04-10-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:

sing it sister!!
spinnymarie 04:34 PM 04-10-2015

This is our choice too - it's also the choice for dinner time with my own kids and bedtime
Reply Up