Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Infant Won't EAT.....
KBCsMommy 12:48 PM 02-08-2012
I have a new infant in care, he is 8 months old. Its his first time in care and he was with a nanny before he came to me.

He is doing great except he wont eat ANYTHING!!!! Wont take his bottle wont eat his food. Yesterday he ate a 4 oz bottle and a saltine cracker thats it. Today its 12:45 and he hasnt ate a single thing all day.

Nanny said he doesnt eat well when hes distracted. So Im hoping once he gets settled and gets comfortable he will start eating more.

I feel like he will eat when he gets hungry enough!!

Is there anything else I can do? I really need the advice!!

Thanks Ladies!!
Lilbutterflie 02:12 PM 02-08-2012
I would ask his mother EXACTLY how he drinks his bottles at home... warm or room temp; how does she hold him or maybe he holds the bottle himself at 8mo; etc, etc... You could even ask mom when she picks up to feed him so you know how she does it. It could be that you are a stranger and he needs to get used to you; but you could ask mom to bring a shirt or blanket from home with her scent on it.

I have an almost 8 mo dcg who is difficult to get to drink her bottle or eat any food. She is distracted by ANY noise whatsoever and incredibly fidgety. And now that she knows how to roll over (she just now learned); she tries to rollover to her belly (even though I am holding her!) every time it's time to drink her bottle. I think she is just a busy little girl who doesn't want to miss out on anything! I just keep on trying and offering and get her to drink/eat at least a decent amount before I give up and put her down to play.
Blackcat31 02:13 PM 02-08-2012
I think you are probably already on the right track. Keep offering. I bet once he does get more comfortable there he will start eating.

What does mom say about it?

I guess I would be more concerned if this was a consistent thing but since he is so new and it has only been 2 (?) days, I would just keep offering and communicating with mom about it.

Hang in there...
sharlan 02:42 PM 02-08-2012
I would be very hesitant to give an 8 mo baby a saltine. Too big of a choking hazard for me.

My 9 mo just starting taking a bottle a couple of weeks ago. The first day she drank it straight down. Day 2, not interested. Day 3, took it straight down.

Try making the formula in advance so that the powder has time to fully disolve. I always make my formula up in the morning then warm as necessary. I find that I have less spit up and fewer tummy issues.
Blackcat31 02:49 PM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I would be very hesitant to give an 8 mo baby a saltine. Too big of a choking hazard for me.

My 9 mo just starting taking a bottle a couple of weeks ago. The first day she drank it straight down. Day 2, not interested. Day 3, took it straight down.

Try making the formula in advance so that the powder has time to fully disolve. I always make my formula up in the morning then warm as necessary. I find that I have less spit up and fewer tummy issues.
I guess it never dawned on me as my 6.5 month old has an entire mouth of teeth already... but good point about the saltine. Maybe try a teething biscuit or something similar.
sharlan 07:27 PM 02-08-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I guess it never dawned on me as my 6.5 month old has an entire mouth of teeth already... but good point about the saltine. Maybe try a teething biscuit or something similar.
My 9 mo only has 2 teeth.
Tags:infant - won't eat, won't eat
Reply Up