Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Confused by Regulations in Georgia
Unregistered 07:34 PM 01-21-2017
After reading the following links:
https://www.daycare.com/georgia/
and
http://decal.ga.gov/CCS/StartingACenter.aspx
I am still confused.

If we want to provide daycare for 16 children, can we do it at our large home in Alpharetta, or not?
Pestle 08:01 PM 01-21-2017
Contact your local licensing office and Alpharetta's zoning office. Regardless of how many kids you can keep by state law, you may have local ordinances/zoning laws that limit what you can do in the house's neighborhood.

By TN state law, I could hire an assistant and take more kids, but by local ordinance, I can't. The strictest rule always governs.
Unregistered 08:26 AM 01-22-2017
Thank you for the quick reply!
The local office says that the house is zoned for residential use only, so we can't have a Learning Center, but we can have a Learning Home. However, I am not sure how many kids we can have in a Learning Home after we designate it as a "group home" (with a total of 3 providers).
LysesKids 10:03 AM 01-22-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The local office says that the house is zoned for residential use only, so we can't have a Learning Center, but we can have a Learning Home. However, I am not sure how many kids we can have in a Learning Home after we designate it as a "group home" (with a total of 3 providers).
A group home is allowed 7-18 children. I don't think that will change due to extra providers; a learning center starts @ 19 or more kids according to the regs I read... since you are residential I would assume you would be placed in the group home category... of course ages of children tend to factor in as does size of the house, so you might actually be limited to fewer than 18 for space reasons alone. You might want to see what the space requirements are for a group home & make sure the outside space has as much as is required, not just the indoor space
Unregistered 09:34 PM 01-23-2017
"A group home is allowed 7-18 children"

Would you, please, kindly show me where you found that piece of information?
LysesKids 04:02 AM 01-24-2017
"A group home is allowed 7-18 children"

Would you, please, kindly show me where you found that piece of information?
http://decal.ga.gov/documents/attach...etCCLCGDCH.pdf Its on the 2nd page and the application paperwork is in the PDF also...
Cat Herder 06:27 AM 01-24-2017
http://www.decal.ga.gov/CCS/StartingACenter.aspx

Start there.

The home and owner are licensed, not the other providers.
Cat Herder 06:41 AM 01-24-2017
Short answer: 6 kids. Total.

4 if more than two kids are under 12 months.

There are only two choices "to simplify" regulations. Group homes are a thing of the past. Hint: QRIS.

1. A Family Child Care Learning Home is a program that operates in a private residential home for less than 24 hours per day. It provides care for three children, but no more than six, under the age of 18 for pay.

(*18 is important because you must have no-pay waivers for anyone under 18 in the home during operating hours, and full Livescan background checks on anyone 17 or older. )

2. A Child Care Learning Center is a program operated by a person, society, agency, corporation, institution, or group that receives pay for group care. It provides care for 19 or more children under the age of 18 for less than 24 hours per day.
Cat Herder 07:03 AM 01-24-2017
Clarification: "The total number of Children not Related to the Provider in the Family Child Care Learning Home, for pay or not for pay, cannot exceed six Children, except that a Provider may care for two additional children who are three years of age or older for two designated one hour periods daily upon approval by the Department."
Cat Herder 07:19 AM 01-24-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
http://decal.ga.gov/documents/attach...etCCLCGDCH.pdf Its on the 2nd page and the application paperwork is in the PDF also...
That was 2015. It was a two year editing process. First they grouped it with Learning Centers, then deleted it entirely. Revised January 2016" = http://www.decal.ga.gov/documentsatt...PacketCCLC.pdf

They are quick to change the regs, not so quick to update the website, leading many to only learn of changes AFTER a citation.

Fingers crossed that with the more "simplified" processes they are streamlining, they will be better able to filter down education to the masses in a more timely manner.

Training inspectors in grace and empathy would go a long way as well. They are supposed to work WITH the providers.
LysesKids 08:54 AM 01-24-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
That was 2015. It was a two year editing process. First they grouped it with Learning Centers, then deleted it entirely. Revised January 2016" = http://www.decal.ga.gov/documentsatt...PacketCCLC.pdf

They are quick to change the regs, not so quick to update the website, leading many to only learn of changes AFTER a citation.

Fingers crossed that with the more "simplified" processes they are streamlining, they will be better able to filter down education to the masses in a more timely manner.

Training inspectors in grace and empathy would go a long way as well. They are supposed to work WITH the providers.
I guess I missed finding the update... TY Cat Herder for the info.
Cat Herder 09:11 AM 01-24-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I guess I missed finding the update... TY Cat Herder for the info.
Just noticed the "cool" grumpy looking icon looked like it was directed to you. Not my intent. I am annoyed by how quickly they made it disappear. Not even 18 months ago they were pushing/guilting me to become a group home to "create jobs". Sorry for the icon misfire.

I am still trying to decide which state to re-locate: Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina or Alabama. Tough call.
LysesKids 09:44 AM 01-24-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Just noticed the "cool" grumpy looking icon looked like it was directed to you. Not my intent. I am annoyed by how quickly they made it disappear. Not even 18 months ago they were pushing/guilting me to become a group home to "create jobs". Sorry for the icon misfire.

I am still trying to decide which state to re-locate: Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina or Alabama. Tough call.
I totally understand... I'm thinking of another relocation in a few years, not sure where but I'll stay in a state that I can take a few kids from get go before getting fully licensed only because I am the only one in home and I need income at all times lol.
Unregistered 05:15 PM 01-25-2017
Cat Herder, many thanks to you for finding out that regulations changed last year!
Tags:georgia, qris, ratings, regulations - crazy
Reply Up