Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Little Star75's Avatar
Little Star75 Little Star75 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Somewhere in California
Posts: 367
Question Can I Bill Subsidize After Termination??

Some might remember the thread about dcp with 2 dcg but for those that don't here you go. Last Wednesday May 15 I terminated dcp and told her Friday May 17 would be the girls last day. BTW this is during our 10-day probationary period. She decides to terminate me on Thursday which is fine but she texts me 20minutes before I go pick up the girls at school which I was already there. To make this story short, when she signed the time sheet she left a few day blanked. I know girls didn't attend but its on my contract that regardless of attendance I require payment. I am sure she's aware of that since she signed it.

SInce she's also subsidized, I don't get paid until next month around the 20th of the month. My question is... Can I bill her for it now and reimburse her when I get paid? I pretty much have everything on the contract except her paying me in advance. My contract states the following: "If your family participates with any subsidized such as CalWorks, etc..... for child care payments you will be responsible for any and all amounts they do not cover for services"

Do I have to wait until I receive payment from the program?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-22-2013, 07:37 PM
rmc20021's Avatar
rmc20021 rmc20021 is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 589
Default

If you are expecting full payment from the subsidy, I wouldn't even bother with her any more. I'm not familiar with how your state handles subsidy payments, but in Michigan we submit the amount of hours via internet every two weeks. There is nothing else needed in order to get paid as long as the parent had been approved, and as long as you had been named as the provider.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Little Star75's Avatar
Little Star75 Little Star75 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Somewhere in California
Posts: 367
Default

this program pays by attendance and as you can understand my concern, dcp brought girls only 4 times during the 2 weeks, 8 days to be exact. So no the program is going to pay me only the 4 days they attended. Parent is and will be responsible for the balance. I already have an idea what they are paying me. Thats why I asked if its okay to bill now instead of waiting a month.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Patches's Avatar
Patches Patches is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,135
Default

So if subsidy is NOT going to pay for those days, why would you pay her back when you get paid next month?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Patches's Avatar
Patches Patches is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,135
Default

Or are you saying that you would bill her the entire amount, including what subsidy is going to pay you and then basically give her the check you get next month?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

The way I do it with my state pays....

They pay up front the amount less what the voucher pays.

For instance, my rate is say $100 a week. Say the paper I got from the state pays me $80 a week, then on Monday when they drop off, they pay me the $20 UP FRONT.

Then next month when the state pays me, I'll get the other $80.

I'm confused. Did you let the parent drop off without paying up front??

Or does she owe her portion for the second week??
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Little Star75's Avatar
Little Star75 Little Star75 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Somewhere in California
Posts: 367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
The way I do it with my state pays....

They pay up front the amount less what the voucher pays.

For instance, my rate is say $100 a week. Say the paper I got from the state pays me $80 a week, then on Monday when they drop off, they pay me the $20 UP FRONT.

Then next month when the state pays me, I'll get the other $80.

I'm confused. Did you let the parent drop off without paying up front??

Or does she owe her portion for the second week??
No I didn't require payment from her, usually I wait until i get paid but because I terminated I was hoping to bill her. Reason... because i already have an idea what they are going to pay me (not close to what I charge) Why? This agency pays per attendance and only if they are here the entire time they are allowed to. Example, dcp had up to 3 hours per day but girls only came for 30 min, they will only pay for the 30 min. It has to be consistent in order for me to get paid the rate I was given. Hope it makes sense
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 PM
Little Star75's Avatar
Little Star75 Little Star75 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Somewhere in California
Posts: 367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patches View Post
Or are you saying that you would bill her the entire amount, including what subsidy is going to pay you and then basically give her the check you get next month?
yes something like that
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Cradle2crayons's Avatar
Cradle2crayons Cradle2crayons is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Deep in the woods....
Posts: 3,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Star75 View Post
yes something like that
My papers say I can't double bill. But yours may be different. I'd think it would be easier to just bill her the remainder.

Also, I know that here, if I charge $100 a week and voucher pays $90, the mom will pay me $10 a week, plus Paying the voucher program a copayment.

The problem that comes in with vouchers, is that for instance a kid is m-fr, and the program past u $90 and then the parent pays u $10 up front every Monday ar drop off. Say, little Johnny is sick Wednesday. The program doesn't pay u for that day. So then remember the state pays $18 a day. So then for that week, the state only pays you $68. Then that leaves the parent to pay you $32 for that week instead of e $10 they already paid you up front.

So when that happens, they've already paid up front the $10 and I bill them the other $22 and they have to pay that $22 plus the $10 they pay every week normally. So the next Monday, they bring me $10 plus $22 making it $32 that next first drop off day.

I hope I'm making sense lol
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Little Star75's Avatar
Little Star75 Little Star75 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Somewhere in California
Posts: 367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons View Post
My papers say I can't double bill. But yours may be different. I'd think it would be easier to just bill her the remainder.

Also, I know that here, if I charge $100 a week and voucher pays $90, the mom will pay me $10 a week, plus Paying the voucher program a copayment.

The problem that comes in with vouchers, is that for instance a kid is m-fr, and the program past u $90 and then the parent pays u $10 up front every Monday ar drop off. Say, little Johnny is sick Wednesday. The program doesn't pay u for that day. So then remember the state pays $18 a day. So then for that week, the state only pays you $68. Then that leaves the parent to pay you $32 for that week instead of e $10 they already paid you up front.

So when that happens, they've already paid up front the $10 and I bill them the other $22 and they have to pay that $22 plus the $10 they pay every week normally. So the next Monday, they bring me $10 plus $22 making it $32 that next first drop off day.

I hope I'm making sense lol
Yes I totally understand and it makes sense, maybe I'm not being specific but can I bill her now instead of waiting till next month when I get paid by the state or do I have to wait for the state them bill her the remaining? Time sheets are due every 5th of the month and get paid until the following month. For example; yesterday I received payment for another parent from the state for the month of April.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-23-2013, 08:10 AM
Crystal's Avatar
Crystal Crystal is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Star75 View Post
Yes I totally understand and it makes sense, maybe I'm not being specific but can I bill her now instead of waiting till next month when I get paid by the state or do I have to wait for the state them bill her the remaining? Time sheets are due every 5th of the month and get paid until the following month. For example; yesterday I received payment for another parent from the state for the month of April.
I would call the agency and ask them. IME you cannot bill the parent for fees that the agency is responsible for....you can only bill the parent for their share of cost.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 AM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

I think that completely depends on your agreement and what your contract says. If you have a section in your contract and/or policies about this that says that you can bill them then bill them. If all your contract says is that they will have to pay for whatever portion the subsidy doesn't cover then you probably won't be able to get it KWIM.

The way that my subsidy program works is that they take the flat weekly rate and then divide it by 5 days in the week and then pay only for the days that the child is actually in care. For example if my rate was $165/week they would pay $33 per day for every day that the child was in attendance. They also allow 10 paid holidays per year (that you have to specify in advance, 5 paid sick days (for the child) and I think an additional 5 days paid for absences that are "in the best interest of the child" like vacations etc. Anything beyond that is not covered and the parent has to pay.

If your subsidy program works similar you can always count the days that the child was in care and the days that the subsidy program will cover and then bill the client now for the days that they were absent. Once you get your subsidy reimbursement check you can check to make sure that the program covered the rest. If they are short I'd call the program first to make sure it was not a mistake on their part and have them explain the shortage to you then bill the additional days to the parent. If they pay you more and cover days that you did not think that they would cover then you can write the client a check and reimburse them back for the over payment and include a simple letter saying that the program covered more days than anticipated. This is how I would handle it anyway.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
subsidy - california

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Termination Gone Wrong MsKara Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 107 03-11-2015 03:09 PM
Termination advice, notice and payment LaLa1923 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 04-24-2013 01:10 PM
Question About Daycare Bill Please Help sandrab77123 Parents and Guardians Forum 8 03-28-2013 11:38 AM
Free Days after Termination Notice... Abigail Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 16 02-13-2011 11:37 AM
Oh Tommmm! Water Bill Question! legomom922 Daycare and Taxes 17 02-03-2011 02:53 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:17 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming