Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Waiting To Start Preschool--Ideas For Other Income
MsJoy 04:53 PM 12-18-2010
Hi all,

I've posted recently about my plans to start a nature-based (and/or Christian) preschool. While I was hoping to get it off the ground this January, I haven't had any calls. Instead, I thought I would wait until this summer or fall and re-advertise it then.

My question is this: I have three toddlers now, but two will be returning to their regular daycare in January (she's been on maternity leave) which will leave me with one full-time 16 mo. old girl. This works well with my son, who is 20 months. I'd LOVE to just have the two of them (so much less noise/stress/mess!) but financially I can't swing it.

SO. . . I'm trying to figure out what to do in the meantime. I can either take on some more kids but let the parents know that I'm hoping to start the preschool in the summer/fall or take on some writing work (I was a writer in my "other life"). Or something else? I'm not sure what to do. Will parents really want to put their child in daycare only to have to find someone else once my preschool gets off the ground? Or maybe it would be best to try to take only kindergarteners (sp?) or after school kids in the interim? Ack! So many options!

Any opinions welcome, thanks!
Preschool/daycare teacher 06:44 PM 12-18-2010
I don't know what your town is like (how big it is, how many children, etc), but would it help if you advertised for babysitting (just random times, whenever the parents need someone for a "date night", etc)? Or would that interfere with your family time too much to have an extra child once and awhile? I know it wouldn't be reliable money and not anything you could count on, but it might help a little in the mean time. And it might help get you enrollments when you DO start preschool, since some families would already know and trust you by that time?
Or you could continue advertising for preschool (the longer your name/business is advertised out there, the more people will think of it if they start looking for preschool. Can you post a sign at a busy section of town? Then just take on even the one or two who happen to call (providing preschool just for them in the meantime?). Sorry I don't have any better ideas than that... good luck!
MsJoy 02:11 AM 12-19-2010
Thanks, those are good ideas. I'm definitely open to starting the preschool with just two kids to begin with. I never thought of "regular" babysitting--that might work. I'm a litle hesitant only because I'm with the other kids all day--BUT I'll definitely keep it in mind. You're right, it would be a great way for parents to get to know me in the meantime. Thanks for the ideas!
kendallina 03:13 AM 12-19-2010
Could the area you're in support a mom's day out for stay-at-home moms? Like, a couple of hours once or twice per week? I think there are some providers that do that on here.
MyAngels 05:23 AM 12-19-2010
Originally Posted by MsJoy:
Hi all,

I've posted recently about my plans to start a nature-based (and/or Christian) preschool. While I was hoping to get it off the ground this January, I haven't had any calls. Instead, I thought I would wait until this summer or fall and re-advertise it then.

My question is this: I have three toddlers now, but two will be returning to their regular daycare in January (she's been on maternity leave) which will leave me with one full-time 16 mo. old girl. This works well with my son, who is 20 months. I'd LOVE to just have the two of them (so much less noise/stress/mess!) but financially I can't swing it.

SO. . . I'm trying to figure out what to do in the meantime. I can either take on some more kids but let the parents know that I'm hoping to start the preschool in the summer/fall or take on some writing work (I was a writer in my "other life"). Or something else? I'm not sure what to do. Will parents really want to put their child in daycare only to have to find someone else once my preschool gets off the ground? Or maybe it would be best to try to take only kindergarteners (sp?) or after school kids in the interim? Ack! So many options!

Any opinions welcome, thanks!

I saw your post on the member's forum about your love of art - maybe you could turn some of what you do into a business of some kind. I'm not the creative type myself, but I know there is site called Etsy where people who make things can list them for sale.
MsJoy 08:42 AM 12-20-2010
These are good suggestions, thanks! I used to be a member of MOPS so probably finding some at home mom's who need part-time care wouldn't be too tough.

I love the idea of selling my artwork/crafts. I guess I'm just intimidated by all the other paperwork for taxes that it would involve. But definitely a good suggestion.
Tags:extra work, part-time job
Reply Up