Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any Small Group Advice?
Lux 06:11 AM 01-03-2019
My group is small- a four year old, and an infant, and two who are right about 24 months.
I feel like the four year old is constantly annoyed - some of it is warranted but any advice on best way to care for a group like this - things they will all enjoy?
It doesn't help that my two year olds love being outside and the four year old doesn't.
Cat Herder 06:39 AM 01-03-2019
A scaffolding curriculum helps with mixed ages. I use Funshine Buttercups and Fireflies for this reason. It can be pricey, but takes all the time and effort out of it. After a few months, you may even be in such a routine that you can go it alone with the old books. https://www.funshineexpress.com/index.html
rosieteddy 06:48 AM 01-03-2019
I would try to offer the some extra table activities.I had a large amount of special puzzles ,workbooks,Mellisa and Doug dolls ect also Mr potato Heads ,beads and special one child activities.All the children could do them but he would probally like it the most.Also for outdoor time we always started with a walk for 20 min then play for at least 30 min another walk before going back in.The children were trained to hold onto the stroller and we talked about the different things on the walk.I also had 3 little tike motorcycle balance type bikes .I would set up an obstacle course for the 3 .My saving grace was a large sandbox with a lot of trucks .Make routine your friend.He has no choice on whether you o out or not its just what you do.
Mom2Two 01:11 PM 01-04-2019
I find that I have to have more structured time for the older one if he/she doesn't have a friend. It's hard to have a group like that.

One reason I take sibling pairs is so I can have enough three and four year olds.

If the older one is four years, you can do pre-K with them. If they don't nap, you can get out art supplies, play dough, printing, etc so they can entertain themselves. You could teach him/her to use the computer and they can do some online pre-k stuff (if you use some screen time). Maybe have them do a chore for you before a preferred activity.
Josiegirl 02:43 PM 01-04-2019
Is the 4 yo a boy or girl? It shouldn't matter but I've had a couple 4/5 yo dcgs who are like mini moms and they've loved 'helping' with the littles, like (pretend)reading books, singing songs/performing for them, putting on puppet shows, play school, etc. You could make a cup of sticks with different 4 yo appropriate activities written on them and whenever the 4 yo seems to be getting irritated, let them pick out something that only s/he can do.
Lux 10:31 AM 01-05-2019
Thanks everyone all of this advice is very helpful.

My four is a girl and she likes my but she isn't really into helping me with things (I've tried). She's kind of a young four and the baby in her family. But I am going to see if she will want to try the "four year old activities" idea thanks Josiegirl. Maybe figure out a game where she can teach the two year olds colors or something to give her a sense of duty and realizing she's older and can teach them .
Tags:curriculum - age appropriate, curriculum - scaffolding, small business
Reply Up