Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question for California Providers
KBCsMommy 11:48 AM 08-22-2013
Are these "rock n plays" okay to use in care.

I ask because a new client is starting soon and baby has reflux. This is the only way she has been sleeping.
Attached: 1.jpg (62.1 KB) 
Crystal 12:08 PM 08-22-2013
Yes they are. The only thing you cannot use are walkers, exersaucers and the johnny jump-up doorway jumpers.

As for sleeping, I don't know. I would request a doctor's note and ask my licensor.
KBCsMommy 12:14 PM 08-22-2013
Thanks Crystal.

I emailed my licensor hopefully he gets back to me soon.
mom2many 12:23 PM 08-22-2013
Personally, I would check with your licensing office. I was told that in Santa Clara Co at least, that they are NOT okay to even have on daycare premises. I even talked to the district manager, when I was cited by an analyst for having one here and attempted to appeal it. It clearly doesn't state that they are illegal to have. They only list walkers and jumpers, however that didn't matter!

I was told to send a pic of anything I wanted to have here to get prior approval, because there are so many different kinds of equipment on the market now and many are not okay to have.
KBCsMommy 12:24 PM 08-22-2013
Just talked to him he says its okay, but like you said he wants to have a note on file from the parents and from the doctor.
mom2many 12:28 PM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:
Just talked to him he says its okay, but like you said he wants to have a note on file from the parents and from the doctor.
I would get this in writing from him! I have found inconsistencies even within the dept where one analyst says one thing and another says no way and cites you!
KBCsMommy 12:37 PM 08-22-2013
Originally Posted by mom2many:
I would get this in writing from him! I have found inconsistencies even within the dept where one analyst says one thing and another says no way and cites you!
Yes absolutely thank you He is going to email me back to let me know it is ok. Im going to print it up and put it in her file.

He also said that we are now allowed exersaucers and johny jumpers that are freestanding!! What

He said they just havent updated the website with pictures yet.

I don't know how to find this information though.
Crystal 12:48 PM 08-22-2013
Yes absolutely thank you He is going to email me back to let me know it is ok. Im going to print it up and put it in her file.

He also said that we are now allowed exersaucers and johny jumpers that are freestanding!! What

Seriously? I am shocked! I am going to have to investigate this! I will let you know if I find anything.
mom2many 01:11 PM 08-22-2013

I forgot to mention exersaucers in my pp. I was actually cited for having one of those years ago. It was like 15 years ago and they were totally new to me. The dcm had brought it over for me to use. Her daughter loved it.

It wasn't even out being used at the time licensing came out for a tri annual unannounced visit. It was in a back bedroom stored in the closet and said they are illegal to have anywhere on the premises. I was aware that "walkers" were a huge no no, but this was stationary and stupid me assumed these were ok to have.

I have gotten dinged a lot over the years for inconsistancies in licensing regs and try to take it in stride, but it's seriously upsetting when I always try to follow regs to a "T" and they can't figure out what they are here in CA. ugh....
sharlan 01:54 PM 08-22-2013
Crystal, please let me know what you find out. I would consider that a bouncer and to my knowledge, bouncers are illegal.
sharlan 01:55 PM 08-22-2013
I forgot to mention exersaucers in my pp. I was actually cited for having one of those years ago. It was like 15 years ago and they were totally new to me. The dcm had brought it over for me to use. Her daughter loved it.

It wasn't even out being used at the time licensing came out for a tri annual unannounced visit. It was in a back bedroom stored in the closet and said they are illegal to have anywhere on the premises. I was aware that "walkers" were a huge no no, but this was stationary and stupid me assumed these were ok to have.

I have gotten dinged a lot over the years for inconsistancies in licensing regs and try to take it in stride, but it's seriously upsetting when I always try to follow regs to a "T" and they can't figure out what they are here in CA. ugh....
No such thing as consistency in the State of California.
Unregistered 02:00 PM 08-22-2013
I have one. Same thing the baby had acid reflux and this is what they slept in at home, nothing else!

I used it for a few months. Worked fine, but kept in the day care area, not in a room by himself since our standards in iowa say sleep has to in the crib.
Crystal 02:11 PM 08-22-2013
I cannot find any updates stating that we can use exersaucers or johnny jumpers.
sharlan 02:22 PM 08-22-2013
The last update I found was the Spring of 2013.

If your analyst says that it's legal, be sure to print it out and place it in the child's folder.
daycare 03:39 PM 08-22-2013
Personally, I would check with your licensing office. I was told that in Santa Clara Co at least, that they are NOT okay to even have on daycare premises. I even talked to the district manager, when I was cited by an analyst for having one here and attempted to appeal it. It clearly doesn't state that they are illegal to have. They only list walkers and jumpers, however that didn't matter!

I was told to send a pic of anything I wanted to have here to get prior approval, because there are so many different kinds of equipment on the market now and many are not okay to have.
ditto here.....we cannot have on site during DC hours
KBCsMommy 04:32 PM 08-22-2013
My analyst just sent this email:

"Talked to my supervisor. Stated the Department would want the dr. & parent documentation, a photo of the product, manufactures info such as intended use, age range, etc. With a product number (so could research it online) prior to approval. If you can obtain the information and send to me ASAP. We’ll review it and send you a letter of approval (or not, but think it will be approved). Thanks."

So I guess we will see!!!
daycare 07:25 PM 08-22-2013
My analyst just sent this email:

"Talked to my supervisor. Stated the Department would want the dr. & parent documentation, a photo of the product, manufactures info such as intended use, age range, etc. With a product number (so could research it online) prior to approval. If you can obtain the information and send to me ASAP. We’ll review it and send you a letter of approval (or not, but think it will be approved). Thanks."

So I guess we will see!!!
That's all you have to do???? Surprised they didn't ask for your unborn child. Lol. Jk.

Well at least there is a chance.
Crystal 08:46 PM 08-22-2013
Wow. Not much, eh?

But, on another note, I'd be hesitant to sleep a child in that. I just don't feel comfortable with it. I'd talk with the parents about figuring out a safer alternative that would work for the baby, something they'd be willing to try at home for a given time to see if the baby does well with it. I don't have much experience with reflux, but I'd probably consider the child's feedings and other possible sleep positions that might ease her discomfort and make sleeping more comfortable. I am sure there are members here who have lots of experience with reflux that could offer suggestions!

But, I just don't think I could, in good conscious, sleep a baby in anything other than a crib/packnplay.

Good luck, and enjoy the baby!
TwinKristi 01:53 PM 08-26-2013
Glad to know those are okay, depending on where and who you ask. I was considering using one for a little guy who has ear issues and doesn't sleep for very long in a PNP. I had one of those for my youngest baby and it was great. I would liken it to a bassinet that you can roll around. Not sure what the rules are on those?
Cradle2crayons 01:59 PM 08-26-2013
I LOVE these things for reflux babies. Serves the same purpose as elevating the head, using a car seat, etc. and the good thing is when they get at that weird age where they start turning over too early in a play pen... This prevents em from doing that.

This is one reason I'm glad I'm legally unlicensed. Of course, I've only slept a child in something like this for a reason...and they sleep right beside where I am.
sharlan 03:31 PM 09-05-2013
I asked my analyst about these and this was his answer.........

"The items should not be utilized at child care facilities, therefore we are advising our licensee’s that the items shall be placed where they are made inaccessible to daycare children."

IMHO, he side-stepped the question. Does anyone have a clearer answer? I may have an infant starting in Oct.
KBCsMommy 07:08 PM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I asked my analyst about these and this was his answer.........

"The items should not be utilized at child care facilities, therefore we are advising our licensee’s that the items shall be placed where they are made inaccessible to daycare children."

IMHO, he side-stepped the question. Does anyone have a clearer answer? I may have an infant starting in Oct.
Sharlan- My licensor approved the rocker for the baby. But I did have to send a letter from the parents, a letter from the pediatrician, the product information and pictures. I was informed to keep all of the information in dcg file too (duh!).

DCG started Monday and she is a dream baby!! Sleeps great, eats great and loves watching the other kids! Fingers crossed that she stays that way

I will not be getting any of the other items for my daycare, for the obvious reasons, and as usual California is in the gray area.

Maybe I will email my analyst again and see what he says this time.
sharlan 07:49 PM 09-05-2013
I sent my analyst another email, saying he really didn't answer my question as to whether or not exersaucers and bouncers were still illegal. He told me to contact an advocate. I sent her an email asking for clarification.
sharlan 07:50 PM 09-05-2013
Sharlan- My licensor approved the rocker for the baby. But I did have to send a letter from the parents, a letter from the pediatrician, the product information and pictures. I was informed to keep all of the information in dcg file too (duh!).

DCG started Monday and she is a dream baby!! Sleeps great, eats great and loves watching the other kids! Fingers crossed that she stays that way

I will not be getting any of the other items for my daycare, for the obvious reasons, and as usual California is in the gray area.

Maybe I will email my analyst again and see what he says this time.
Gray - CA invented the gray area.
Unregistered 01:21 PM 09-11-2013
Hello!

I am in the final process of getting my license (background checks just came back) so all I have left is my inspection. I have a sunken living room that is my dedicated play room. I have just 1 stair. I have it gated at the top and the bottom of the stair, but it seems excessive. My neighbor who has the same house as I do has been doing daycare for 25 years and she has the exact same situation only she just gated the top of the stair. She hasn't had an inspection in 5 years. She said prior to that it was fine. What are everyone's thoughts? Should I remove the gate before I get my inspection or leave it up for the inspection then take it down if the inspector says its ok? I called the Community Care licensing office and they said they couldn't give me an answer over the phone...

Thank you for your help!
lovemylife 01:32 PM 09-11-2013
I don't live in CA, but why can't use use exersaucers? We don't have that law here.

My son had acid reflux and the Rock N Play was a miracle for him! We had tried everything else and it was the only thing that helped him sleep for a few hours.
Margarete 01:52 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello!

I am in the final process of getting my license (background checks just came back) so all I have left is my inspection. I have a sunken living room that is my dedicated play room. I have just 1 stair. I have it gated at the top and the bottom of the stair, but it seems excessive. My neighbor who has the same house as I do has been doing daycare for 25 years and she has the exact same situation only she just gated the top of the stair. She hasn't had an inspection in 5 years. She said prior to that it was fine. What are everyone's thoughts? Should I remove the gate before I get my inspection or leave it up for the inspection then take it down if the inspector says its ok? I called the Community Care licensing office and they said they couldn't give me an answer over the phone...

Thank you for your help!
I am in the licensing process too, and have my inspection scheduled for Monday. I have a raised entryway with one step down, and specifically asked my rep if that was a problem on the phone. They said no, it is not, and does not need to be gated. sitting on a couch or chair is a farther drop then one step, but I wanted to be sure. "1 stair" does that mean 1 step?
sharlan 02:11 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello!

Thank you for your help!
In all honesty, it will be up to your analyst (and the day of the week, mood of your analyst, etc). I would say that the bottom gate would be the best if that is the area where the kids are going to be most of the time.

I never had to have my staircase gated before because that room was not accessible. My current analyst requires that it be gate because the kids walk past it to get to the family room, kitchen. I took my extra gate down and now only my staircase is gated.
Tags:reflux, rock n play
Reply Up