Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Personal Rights
Michelle 02:03 PM 09-30-2013
I had a question.
At nap time I always take all the kids to the bathroom right before they lay down but you all know two year olds.
They ask to go potty again 5 minutes later and all they really want to do is go wash their hands and play around instead of sleep.

Is it against their personal rights to say "No, You just went to the bathroom, now it's time to sleep."

What do you guys do in this situation?
spud912 02:46 PM 09-30-2013
It depends on the child and the circumstances, but I have been known to say that before.
Cradle2crayons 02:57 PM 09-30-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
I had a question.
At nap time I always take all the kids to the bathroom right before they lay down but you all know two year olds.
They ask to go potty again 5 minutes later and all they really want to do is go wash their hands and play around instead of sleep.

Is it against their personal rights to say "No, You just went to the bathroom, now it's time to sleep."

What do you guys do in this situation?
With potty training should come e ability to hold their bladder at least an hour MINIMUM. if they go potty before nap and I know they went, yes I'd tell them no.
KBCsMommy 04:26 PM 09-30-2013
Lol... I was thinking "personal rights" this op MUST be from California

Anyways, I would just say you just went to the bathroom time for nap time!
Josiegirl 04:26 PM 09-30-2013
Ugh I know what you mean. My recently trained dcg was doing that, seems like every 10 minutes during quiet time she'd ask to go. UNTIL I posed a similar question here and was told if she goes right before naptime she should last at least 45 minutes. So I told her she had to wait awhile now that she's gone potty. And it was working Course wouldn't ya know today half hour into naps and she had to go, waking up one of my younger children. Grrr Sometimes I just feel like saying pee in your pull-ups!
Hunni Bee 05:42 PM 09-30-2013
The answer is no until an hour into rest time. There are exceptions, but I usually can tell who really has to go and who just wants to get up.

You don't have a "personal right" to go play with toilet paper and make bubbles in the sink

I have 4/5 year olds though.
Lil'DinoEggs 09:00 PM 09-30-2013
This sounds weird but I look at their legs. Kids aren't really good actors so if they are bouncy, have goose bumps, chicken legs, then I know they have to truly go.

I recently did this with water. I had water bottles and kids would ask for them, but then play with them. I banned them at nap time. I felt bad, but then they started to go to sleep faster!
Michelle 09:49 PM 09-30-2013
ok, really good advice!
thank you!
I thought I was a meanie

I have reached the point at nap time where all I do is put my hush finger over my lips.
I like the Super Nanny go to sleep method.
No rewarding with talking or no nonsense.
I do however give back rubs to help them go to sleep if needed.

Michelle 09:49 PM 09-30-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
The answer is no until an hour into rest time. There are exceptions, but I usually can tell who really has to go and who just wants to get up.

You don't have a "personal right" to go play with toilet paper and make bubbles in the sink

I have 4/5 year olds though.

our kids know each other
Michelle 09:53 PM 09-30-2013
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:

yep!!!
in some ways we are unlucky as far as the "no activity seats, or any infants chairs regulation" until you read about other states that get visits every 3 months, take their water temp, and are at the facilities for hours!
That would drive me nuts!
spinnymarie 06:13 AM 10-01-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
With potty training should come e ability to hold their bladder at least an hour MINIMUM. if they go potty before nap and I know they went, yes I'd tell them no.

Leanna 10:27 AM 10-01-2013

Ok...fill us in. What's with the "personal rights" in Cali? Inquiring minds want to know!
KBCsMommy 10:34 AM 10-01-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
Ok...fill us in. What's with the "personal rights" in Cali? Inquiring minds want to know!
In California they are all about daycare children's "personal rights". For example you cannot have a child in a high chair for any purpose other than eating, if you had a child playing with toys on the highchair tray you would be violating the childs personal rights to be playing on the floor The same goes for pnp, children can only sleep in them. They are not to be used for separating, time outs, playing or anything other than sleeping.

Essentially anything restraining a child from their freedom to move around would be considered violating their personal rights.

In the op's case, she is worried that telling the dcg she cannot use the toilet is violating the dcg's personal rights even though she had just visited the toilet.
Blackcat31 10:37 AM 10-01-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/forms/english/LIC613A.PDF

Not sure if this is the correct document (for family care), but it basically says a child has a right to use the restroom when needed etc..
itlw8 10:55 AM 10-01-2013
did they produce when they went before rest and did they empty their bladder? I would let them go but follow along I need to hear the pee I say.

I do have one that ALWAYS has to poop 5 minutes into nap so I have him lay down first and often he needs to go right after the others finish.
Leanna 11:25 AM 10-01-2013
In California they are all about daycare children's "personal rights". For example you cannot have a child in a high chair for any purpose other than eating, if you had a child playing with toys on the highchair tray you would be violating the childs personal rights to be playing on the floor The same goes for pnp, children can only sleep in them. They are not to be used for separating, time outs, playing or anything other than sleeping.

Essentially anything restraining a child from their freedom to move around would be considered violating their personal rights.

In the op's case, she is worried that telling the dcg she cannot use the toilet is violating the dcg's personal rights even though she had just visited the toilet.
Interesting...we have the similar rules regarding the use of highchairs and PNP's in NY. You can't have a child in a highchair longer than 15 min. (unless eating) or in a PNP for longer than 30 min. (unless sleeping). I am all about babies exploring and moving their bodies, in fact our playroom is sectioned off so the babies have their own protected area. However, there are times when it is much safer for them to play with a toy in their highchair for 5 min. than risk getting stepped on or worse!

As far as telling a child they can't use the potty...you know the kids in your program. If they truly just went, are not newly trained, and are a "busybody," telling them that it is time to sleep is not inappropriate.
Great Beginnings 12:00 PM 10-01-2013
Ugh, I get the same thing when I say it's time to clean up. For some reason they seem to have bladder issues during clean up time, nap time, and going home time lol!
daycaremum 08:31 AM 10-02-2013
Wow!!! I could not run a daycare from my home with these crazy rules. I understand the purpose because there were likely situations where providers were leaving children in high chairs and pack and plays all day every day. BUT there are circumstances like transition times when I need the little strapped in their seats or in a pack and play for safety while I do food prep or clean up or when I am doing toileting with the rest of the group. Glad I live where I live.
Reply Up